Attendance at New Era Field Sunday and more - -

Stallions

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

That was like my 3rd summerfest.  Seems like a lifetime ago.

LOL, I guess it was.

I remember the bedsheets hanging from the upper deck with a menu of what they were offering. I thought I’d stepped thru the looking glass! Oh, the stories from that day and night! 

2 minutes ago, Liberal Bob said:

I was at the Grateful Dead show on the 4th of July and that was the biggest crowd that I have ever seen at the stadium.

Dead shows were such a scene, 

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

I remember the bedsheets hanging from the upper deck with a menu of what they were offering. I thought I’d stepped thru the looking glass! Oh, the stories from that day and night! 

Oh yeah.  15-20 of us would go to the concerts from the neighborhood (JFK High School).  It was crazy times.

1981 Stones at the stadium and the night before was Grateful Dead at the Aud. A weekend I'll never ever forget even though I didn't go to the Grateful Dead concert we were there outside on our way to the stadium lol uh, had to pick some things up prior to parking all night at a Hills in Hamburg. 

Included a visit by the cops about three am and they were very cool. Could have nailed everybody for everything but if you weren't causing a problem, then you weren't a problem.

Never going to forget what I did and what I saw that entire weekend. Man on a wire for one thing. Guy bashing his head into a concrete wall for another. May have been something bad picked up at the Aud outside the Grateful Dead lol but it was the greatest Rock And Roll show of my life.

9 hours ago, Stallions said:

Last Sunday 69,448 fans jammed New Era Field for the 2019 home opener.  That’s 97% of listed capacity.  In 2018 attendance was 69,187 at the opener vs. the Chargers.

Remember when that same stadium held 82,290?  Tomorrow marks the anniversary of the largest official attendance for a concert at Rich Stadium.   80,107 came to hear the WHO on September 26, 1982.

I realize the NFL wants Buffalo to build a new stadium.  It’s the cool thing to do with plush suites, bigger video boards and supposedly it will provide more revenue to visiting teams.

WHY in Buffalo?  We consistently draw to 90% capacity.  I realize the economics and population in the Buffalo area doesn’t fit the NFL model.  So what?  We ARE Buffalo and that’s the way it is.  We’re a special city with a special NFL football team.

Any other old memories from our old stadium???

GO BILLS!

Who is on first.  Why is in left field.

10 hours ago, Augie said:

It’s all about the money. Accept that and life gets easier. I’m OK either way, as long as the Bills are in WNY. 

Not if taxpayers are footing the bill or a substantial part of the bill for a new stadium.  Personally, I like the existing one.  Yes, improvements can be made but a smaller forum that has “NFL amenities” does not seem right for Buffalo.

Stones

Journey...…..boooed and pelted off the stage unfairly replaced by J Geils for the rest of the tour

George Thoroughly Good as the opening act.

I think it was the Tattoo You Tour.

It rained off and on until the Stones hit the stage Jagger threw up his arms and the sun came out......classic.

Edited by JMF2006
rain

9 hours ago, Stallions said:

A big-time concert fan WHO went to that show on 9/26/82 to see the WHO wrote -

I have been to over 450 shows in my life and one of my favorite questions to ask people is "What was the best concert you ever went to?" My own personal answer was The Who at Rich Stadium on their so-called farewell tour. I don't think that The Who were generally near the top of their game during this tour but on this day (a Sunday) they were greeted by the best audience I have ever been a part of and they knew what they had. The energy in that stadium was incredible. David Johansen warmed things up with a 30 minute set highlighted by "Stranded In The Jungle" and his Animals medley. The Clash drew some ire from reactionary fans but delivered a reliable set.

The Who kicked ass and took names during their set. The sound was very good and the audience was just electric. As seasoned performers, The Who knew what they had and delivered in spades. No one who attended that show will forget the rain only during "Love Reign O'er Me" In fact I heard a random stranger talk about it eight years after the show at a Bob Dylan show in Toronto in June of 1990. It was one of those priceless moments and it only rained during "Love Reign O'er Me".

I was at this show, i'll never forget the people in front of us before the show saying over and over "we're just here for the clash" ?  Also remember Pete had a very weird 80s look - leather jacket, big hair with headband and clean shaven.  Also remember could have done without all the songs from It's Hard.

Found this - has a link to bootleg of the show https://www.guitars101.com/forums/f145/who-1982-09-26-rich-stadium-orchard-park-ny-aud-source-2-ml-master-684099.html#/topics/684099

The best Who concert I ever saw was in an ampitheater here in Raleigh - played Quadrophenia start to finish ?

You can add more to that number . There was so much confusion at the under maned security gate that they never scanned my ticket. Actually I’m not sure how many people I seen just walk on by not getting tickets scanned or phones scanned. It crossed my mind to put my un scanned ticket up on stubhub since it was around 12:15 I walked into the stadium.