Attendance at New Era Field Sunday and more - -

Stallions

Last Sunday 69,448 fans jammed New Era Field for the 2019 home opener.  That’s 97% of listed capacity.  In 2018 attendance was 69,187 at the opener vs. the Chargers.

Remember when that same stadium held 82,290?  Tomorrow marks the anniversary of the largest official attendance for a concert at Rich Stadium.   80,107 came to hear the WHO on September 26, 1982.

I realize the NFL wants Buffalo to build a new stadium.  It’s the cool thing to do with plush suites, bigger video boards and supposedly it will provide more revenue to visiting teams.

WHY in Buffalo?  We consistently draw to 90% capacity.  I realize the economics and population in the Buffalo area doesn’t fit the NFL model.  So what?  We ARE Buffalo and that’s the way it is.  We’re a special city with a special NFL football team.

Any other old memories from our old stadium???

GO BILLS!

6 minutes ago, Stallions said:

Last Sunday 69,448 fans jammed New Era Field for the 2019 home opener.  That’s 97% of listed capacity.  In 2018 attendance was 69,187 at the opener vs. the Chargers.

Remember when that same stadium held 82,290?  Tomorrow marks the anniversary of the largest official attendance for a concert at Rich Stadium.   80,107 came to hear the WHO on September 26, 1982.

I realize the NFL wants Buffalo to build a new stadium.  It’s the cool thing to do with plush suites, bigger video boards and supposedly it will provide more revenue to visiting teams.

WHY in Buffalo?  We consistently draw to 90% capacity.  I realize the economics and population in the Buffalo area doesn’t fit the NFL model.  So what?  We ARE Buffalo and that’s the way it is.  We’re a special city with a special NFL football team.

GO BILLS!

Great Who show!

12 minutes ago, Stallions said:

GO BILLS!

If we could keep Harvey Weinstein out of this, that would be great. ??

15 minutes ago, Stallions said:

GO BILLS!

When I was 16 me and friends saw The Rolling Stones at Rich, Bobby Womack opened the show, the place was packed, have no idea of the head count but I suspect in couldn’t have been far off of The Who concert. Good times, 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Stallions said:

GO BILLS!

I almost started a thread on this. Buffalo IS a special place, and a GREAT sports town. I was slapped in the face with this on the flight home. I swear, about half the people on the plane back from the home opener were wearing Bills gear. How many others just weren’t sporting the gear? Of all the many people I talked with at the tailgate, only a few had not flown in or driven for hours to get there. 

I’ve lived in the Cincinnati, Carolina, Tampa and Atlanta markets, and gone to games in many more. There are a few teams with great fans, but I’ll put the Bills fans at the top of my list. It is indeed very special. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

A big-time concert fan WHO went to that show on 9/26/82 to see the WHO wrote -

I have been to over 450 shows in my life and one of my favorite questions to ask people is "What was the best concert you ever went to?" My own personal answer was The Who at Rich Stadium on their so-called farewell tour. I don't think that The Who were generally near the top of their game during this tour but on this day (a Sunday) they were greeted by the best audience I have ever been a part of and they knew what they had. The energy in that stadium was incredible. David Johansen warmed things up with a 30 minute set highlighted by "Stranded In The Jungle" and his Animals medley. The Clash drew some ire from reactionary fans but delivered a reliable set.

The Who kicked ass and took names during their set. The sound was very good and the audience was just electric. As seasoned performers, The Who knew what they had and delivered in spades. No one who attended that show will forget the rain only during "Love Reign O'er Me" In fact I heard a random stranger talk about it eight years after the show at a Bob Dylan show in Toronto in June of 1990. It was one of those priceless moments and it only rained during "Love Reign O'er Me".

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

When I was 16 me and friends saw The Rolling Stones at Rich, Bobby Womack opened the show, the place was packed, have no idea of the head count but I suspect in couldn’t have been far off of The Who concert. Good times, 

I was there too.

45 minutes ago, Stallions said:

I remember so well.  The men's bathrooms couldn't handle the crowd so what do you do!!!

Took my first stadium leak in the big round sink as a kid in 1984. 

Thought it was so cool that you stepped on the ring near the floor to "flush", ha! Really believed for years that those were just communal pissers.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I was there too.

Cool ? 

back in in those days we had  really good shows to go to , saw Jeff Beck and the Mahavishnu orchestra at the dome arena about that time, Saw Bowie at the Auditorium theatre in Rochester, back in the day... and those where some damn good days.

• Like (+1) 1