Oliver currently is #4 in DT Pass Rush Win Rate

syhuang

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Considering the state of our WR corps, yes. We could use a big, fast WR on the roster. Ed Oliver MAY turn out to be great, or he MAY underwhelm as a pass rusher. That remains to be seen.

Oh man...taking a 2nd rounder in the top 10 leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.  Especially someone so incredibly raw, so he's a project.  

1 minute ago, syhuang said:

You didn't answer my question, my question was " So even with the hindsight, you still want to pick Metcalf at #9 even though you now know Bills could have picked Metcalf in 2nd round? "

With hindsight no. But that's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

*face on desk*

They had NO WAY of knowing Metcalf would last to the second.

But now you do have hindsight and you know Metcalf was available in their second round pick, why do you still blame the Oliver pick at #9 for Bills not drafting Metcalf? Shouldn't you blame Bill's 2nd round choice for not drafting Metcalf?

You just said it yourself, with hindsight, you don't want Bills to use #9 pick on Metcalf.

Just now, syhuang said:

But now you do have hindsight and you know Metcalf was available in their second round pick, why do you still blame the Oliver pick at #9 for Bills not drafting Metcalf? Shouldn't you blame Bill's 2nd round choice for not drafting Metcalf?

You just said it yourself, with hindsight, you don't want Bills to use #9 pick on Metcalf.

You know what, I surrender.

You win. With hindsight, it was an EXCELLENT pick, Oliver was.

Hopefully, they'll not miss having Metcalf.

You win.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

You know what, I surrender.

You win. With hindsight, it was an EXCELLENT pick, Oliver was.

Hopefully, they'll not miss having Metcalf.

You win.

Glad I could talk some sense into you. I was just feeling it's so weird that you STILL blame the Oliver pick at #9 for Bills not drafting Metcalf now when you have hindsight.

Just now, syhuang said:

Glad I could talk some sense into you. I was just feeling it's so weird that you STILL blame the Oliver pick at #9 for Bills not drafting Metcalf now when you have hindsight.

Well, I'm THOROUGHLY relieved you're not feeling weird.

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Based on what?

Limited route tree, below average agility and poor change of direction to go with less that consistent hands.

As for how could they have known? I think that pro scouts always have a pretty good feel for where guys are likely to go. They never know for certain, but they have a decent feel.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

The only thing he did well was run really fast in a straight line.

Yea. He is a one trick pony. He doesn’t suck by any means because there is a value in the league for the thing he does really well - and you have already seen him demonstrate his value in Seattle. But I always felt like his lack of completeness made him more a round 2 type than a round 1 type.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea. He is a one trick pony. He doesn’t suck by any means because there is a value in the league for the thing he does really well - and you have already seen him demonstrate his value in Seattle. But I always felt like his lack of completeness made him more a round 2 type than a round 1 type.

I said before the draft Metcalf would put up a 1000 yard season out of the gate. Most here said no way, He’s on pace for 1157 and people are still criticizing him. Another reason ppl didn’t want Metcalf was Robert Foster. Oops. 

As for Oliver. I’ve also moved on, but I agree with Joe for once. The DT position, especially in McDermott’s defense, is just not as important if only because they’re not on the field every down.

Btw, does anyone have the snap count percentage or know where I can look that up?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Chemical said:

I said before the draft Metcalf would put up a 1000 yard season out of the gate. Most here said no way, He’s on pace for 1157 and people are still criticizing him. Another reason ppl didn’t want Metcalf was Robert Foster. Oops. 

As for Oliver. I’ve also moved on, but I agree with Joe for once. The DT position, especially in McDermott’s defense, is just not as important if only because they’re not on the field every down.

Btw, does anyone have the snap count percentage or know where I can look that up?

Ed has been out there 62% of snaps - the highest among our DTs and the 2nd most of any Dlineman. 

And he is just a better football player than DK Metcalf. Again it sounds like I am hating on Metcalf - I am not. He was my WR2 after AJ Brown I just did not love the WR class. 

Edited by GunnerBill

On 9/25/2019 at 3:22 PM, Joe in Winslow said:

For me? given all the HYPE about the guy, at least a .5 sack a game pace.

He's supposed to be unstoppable in the pass rush. He's proven to not be that for the time being.

Could he grow into it? Maybe.

Your expectation for a rookie is 8 sacks from the DT position?  Last year there were 6 DTs that got to that number in the entire NFL.  So you want Ed Oliver to be top 6 right out of the gate?  I can see why you are disappointed lol.  You want him to be unstoppable in the pass rush and this stat has him at #4 in the entire league?  So you are disappointed he isn't top 3?

I don't know what you watch when you watch the games but I usually focus on the lines first and he is very disruptive.  

9 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

When was Hockensen taken again?

Ok now I wonder if you are just trolling... if so excellent job if not :bag:.