Oliver currently is #4 in DT Pass Rush Win Rate

syhuang

52 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Thats good company to be in as a rookie.

He's been everything advertised and justifies his draft status.

Now Ford on the other hand............

If you think Ford has not justified his draft status you need to hit the pause button and think about it for a few minutes Sir

If he never becomes a great RT and ends up being a very good OG then totally the pick is still justified

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

If you think Ford has not justified his draft status you need to hit the pause button and think about it for a few minutes Sir

If he never becomes a great RT and ends up being a very good OG then totally the pick is still justified

Perhaps.

Pretty sure he wasn't drafted to be a Guard though. 

26 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Perhaps.

They specifically said that he would start out at RT.......but we can already see that he is a excellent OG

The problem here is that Beane did his job to well and found too many players good at a NFL postition......if you can call that a problem

• Like (+1) 1

Oliver wasnt hyped up as Aaron Donald, it was said he had Aaron Donald tendencies (could be compared to).

Aaron Donald is such a beast & dominant player, that not even Aaron Donald would be compared to Aaron Donald if he were being drafted.

Dude is just that good.

On a side note, its a good thing we drafted him instead of an offensive guy, bcuz we'd really be screwed right now with Harrison Phillips injured.

I like Ed & think he's been solid & cant wait to see what he turns into.

28 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Perhaps.

10 years ago if you drafted a RT and had to kick him into Guard you might have been right that it would have disappointed. But given the new emphasis on interior pass rushing and the lack of imminent development for many offensive linemen in recent years getting a guard in early round 2 when you initially wanted a RT is far from a significant disappointment. Granted Beane finding two quality guards in the off-season makes Ford struggling at RT a bit of a sore spot but it at the very least adds depth and help the O-line long term. 

I still love the Ford pick as I think when you have a young QB it helps to have multiple young pieces along the O-line and outside of Dawkins going into the draft most of the O-line was older or unproven. So getting a second foundational young piece to the unit adds to the long term health of the unit. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I expect pretty much immediate impact from a top 10 pick, honestly.

Like Warren Sapp's rookie season?  He dropped to 12 due to allegations of drug use, but he was the standard used.

https://www.bucsnation.com/2011/7/2/2256389/gerald-mccoys-and-warren-sapps-rookie-seasons

We all know how Warren Sapp's career went: he is a surefire Hall of Famer. But not many remember Warren Sapp's rookie season, and for good reason: the highly-touted defensive tackle managed just 3 sacks and was relegated to backup duty after just five games. Newspapers of the time speak of Warren Sapp the Underachiever, a subpar rookie season and his own defensive coordinator was quoted as calling him a major disappointment

But in his second year Warren Sapp stepped up, sacking the quarterback 9 times. He turned into a dominating force, the core of an improving defense. So how did this happen? To say it in his own words, Sapp was "a blind dog in a meat house" in his rookie year. In other words: he had no idea what he was doing. The coaches used him differently every game, sometimes asking him to play head-up on offensive linemen, other times asking him to shoot gaps and penetrate. 

----------

DT is a tough transition from college to NFL.  Give the man a few games to find his way.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

My deal with this dude is that I don't think we should have drafted him with a need for offensive weapons. I'm warming up to him, but I'm not ready to consider him ANY kind of game changer at the moment.

I guess collapsing pockets and beating double teams doesn't "change games".

I guess signing multiple new WRs/RBs/O-linemen/TEs, drafting a RG/RT, RB and two TEs, isn't addressing the offense.

I guess this is REALLY about being butthurt about not getting the guy YOU wanted, right?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, brianthomas said:

Oliver wasnt hyped up as Aaron Donald, it was said he had Aaron Donald tendencies (could be compared to).

Aaron Donald is such a beast & dominant player, that not even Aaron Donald would be compared to Aaron Donald if he were being drafted.

Dude is just that good.

On a side note, its a good thing we drafted him instead of an offensive guy, bcuz we'd really be screwed right now with Harrison Phillips injured.

I like Ed & think he's been solid & cant wait to see what he turns into.

Except that the chain of events that led to Harrison getting injured wouldn't have happened.

5 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I posted this earlier in another thread. and didn't get much response... hopefully its gets its due praise in here. Oliver hasn't gotten "home" yet but he's altered plenty of pockets and throws so far.

Oliver collapsing the pocket could mean everything this week

newhouse at LT and a backup center?  it's gotta happen....and at home?   come on...we should see carnage

3 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I wish Kyle and Oliver could’ve played together, what a DT combo they would’ve made. 

If you can create pressure with your front four without blitzing you have a huge advantage. 

but that never works against belichek. that philosophy will get another loss against them.

4 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

For people stating he hasn’t done much you are terrible at watching football. I’m constantly seeing him collapse the pocket forcing the qb to scramble and throw the ball away for an incomplete pass. It was extremely noticeable in the first 2 games. I get it, it’s a tough game to follow with lots of action going on at once but the people asking  more of Oliver at this point have been down right laughable. 

Ikr.  Funny, when Im watching the game or listening to NFL shows the retired pros who actually know something about how football really works gush all over about Oliver.  Its only after the game that fantasy sports nerds and draftnik self-promoters talk about what a disappointment he is, because he doesn't have any sacks.

I know very little about football "in  the trenches" but even I can see Ed Oliver is a BEAST who is disrupting the %&^% out of the offense.  I cant remember who but one of the retired pros said Oliver may be the steal of the entire draft.

A philosophical question about these stats: I noticed the Packers are high in each of the offensive positions (4 o-lineman). But, the Packers have not been good on offense this year. I'm sure there are many factors--as with any team. But . . .

• Does one weak link, that can be exploited by the D, undo all the good of the other four?
  • And, does that one weak link over-inflate the grades of the others? How? By letting the Defense focus their best and most aggressive efforts at the weaker points, and then basically giving the better people a pass? Thus, inflating the number to the good of the better people? So while their grade may be high, the over-all results may still be poor?

I think these stats have value, but if my theory above has any element of truth to it, the rankings might need a algorithm adjustment that considers the poor play of those around you, which results in less work you have to do while your teammate if doing a good imitation of a turnstile?

Or, am I just over-thinking this?

GO BILLS! BEAT BRADY!

15 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

My deal with this dude is that I don't think we should have drafted him with a need for offensive weapons. I'm warming up to him, but I'm not ready to consider him ANY kind of game changer at the moment.

The problem with this is he was the best player on the board. By a distance. 

Edited by GunnerBill