Oliver currently is #4 in DT Pass Rush Win Rate

syhuang

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Cliffs Notes version: If my team is taking a DT at 9, he'd better be the next coming of Warren Sapp. Is Ed Oliver the next coming of Warren Sapp?

And 3 games into his career, was Warren Sap the dominant player you think he was?   Come on man... cut the kid some slack and let's let him have a season or two before we decide he's a wasted pick.  

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

I expect pretty much immediate impact from a top 10 pick, honestly.

Impact is a relative term. I think Oliver has looked to be a quality player at his position. I think expecting a rookie even in football to play at a pro-bowl or higher level is a bit unrealistic. It happens more often in football that rookies can some in and play at a All-Star or even All-Pro level but even some of the best players have decent but unspectacular rookie years. 

JJ Watt had 5.5 sacks his rookie year but improved tremendously his second year and was off to the races. I don't think there is a player that could have been had at pick 9 realistically that would have had the impact you wanted. 

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Would that be something like coming in and logging the most snaps on the inside of anyone on the team while the run d goes through a 3 game stretch of elite RB’s and comes out top ten in rush yds allowed? 

For me? given all the HYPE about the guy, at least a .5 sack a game pace.

He's supposed to be unstoppable in the pass rush. He's proven to not be that for the time being.

Could he grow into it? Maybe.

14 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Pass rush has been pretty anemic, so I don't think so.

But hey, who knows. This guy could end up being good. Just not too hopeful about it at the moment.

Sorry, no offense. I have NO desire to rehash that conversation. Just go back to the draft threads and you'll see my objection.

You do not win games with bad pass rush.....you are not a top 5 defense with bad pass rush

No offense Joe but you are holding onto a bone you should let go....or at least be a little more open to what is actually happening on the field

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You do not win games with bad pass rush.....you are not a top 5 defense with bad pass rush

No offense Joe but you are holding onto a bone you should let go....or at least be a little more open to what is actually happening on the field

I said upthread, I'm more OK with him now than I was then, but he doesn't look like the guy he was hyped to be. But I'll say this: he gets a sack on Brady, I'll forgive a LOT of let-downs.

Edited by Joe in Winslow

It's amazing to me the people who have never worked with athletes a day in their life and either pound the table or diminish the guy based on things like;

• An article they read
  • The school the player went to
  • The NFL.com draft report on that player
  • The player's stats on a given day
  • The player's favorite color
  • The player's jersey number
  • The player's favorite food

It's insane. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just because Oliver and the rest of the D haven't sacking the QB as often as we like, it does not mean that they are ineffective. Since week 1, I've seen opposing QB's rush their throws due to pressure. Whether it's an incomplete pass or a sack, who cares, just as long as the results benefit the Bills.

5 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

It's amazing to me the people who have never worked with athletes a day in their life and either pound the table or diminish the guy based on things like;

• An article they read
  • The school the player went to
  • The NFL.com draft report on that player
  • The player's stats on a given day
  • The player's favorite color
  • The player's jersey number
  • The player's favorite food (You mean other than ranch on wings, right? We can't start letting that slide.)

It's insane. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Because pressures count as much as hits?

How many QBs have actually been able to step up into a pocket against us this year?

This is why I want a double digit edge rusher next year. 

That would make this a dominating D

7 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I said upthread, I'm more OK with him now than I was then, but he doesn't look like the guy he was hyped to be. But I'll say this: he gets a sack on Brady, I'll forgive a LOT of let-downs.

So if he gets one sack on Brady, but gets pushed around and abused all game, you're good?

What if he doesn't get any sacks but is constantly in Brady's face and causes a pick or two? You're still going to be unhappy because he didn't show up in the stat sheet?

13 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

For me? given all the HYPE about the guy, at least a .5 sack a game pace.

He's supposed to be unstoppable in the pass rush. He's proven to not be that for the time being.

Could he grow into it? Maybe.

Regardless of what's said about a rookie, thinking they'll be unstoppable in anyway, shape, or form is hilariously naive. 

I feel like if he came in and was playing like Aaron Donald, you'd still B word. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, elroy16 said:

So if he gets one sack on Brady, but gets pushed around and abused all game, you're good?

What if he doesn't get any sacks but is constantly in Brady's face and causes a pick or two? You're still going to be unhappy because he didn't show up in the stat sheet?

Regardless of what's said about a rookie, thinking they'll be unstoppable in anyway, shape, or form is hilariously naive. 

I feel like if he came in and was playing like Aaron Donald, you'd still B word. 

I won't pretend to tell you how to feel, but I'm pretty much one of the LEAST complaining posters around here.

• Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

My deal with this dude is that I don't think we should have drafted him with a need for offensive weapons. I'm warming up to him, but I'm not ready to consider him ANY kind of game changer at the moment.

I for one, don't care that you are "warming up to him".  I'm pretty sure the Bills don't either.  you've had an agenda with him since being drafted.  You are blind if you don't see how special this kids is!

• Like (+1) 1

Aaron Donald in his rookie year only had 2 sacks through 7 games and progressively got better to finish with 9 as a rookie. J.J. Watt only had 5.5 sacks total in his rookie season. Oliver has been doing his job and causing pressure from the middle. The sacks will come. He's only 3 games into his rookie season. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1