Oliver currently is #4 in DT Pass Rush Win Rate

syhuang

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27584726/nfl-pass-blocking-pass-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard

Oliver has 22% pass rush win rate after 3 games, only behind G.Jarrett, Donald, and Campbell.

Top 10 DT Pass Rush Win Rate

1. Grady Jarrett, Falcons, 28%
2. Aaron Donald, Rams, 27%
3. Calais Campbell, Jaguars, 26%
4. Ed Oliver, Bills, 22%
5. Chris Jones, Chiefs, 22%
6. Quinton Jefferson, Seahawks, 21%
7. Maliek Collins, Cowboys, 20%
8. Eddie Goldman, Bears, 19%
9. Corey Peters, Cardinals, 16%
10. Christian Covington, Cowboys, 16%

Also, in the same link above where it also has pass block win rate stats, Morse is #10 (94%) among the centers, only Bills' O-line in top 10 in individual positions. However, Bills has an overall 63% pass block win rate which is good for #6 in all 32 teams.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, syhuang said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27584726/nfl-pass-blocking-pass-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard

Oliver has 22% pass rush win rate after 3 games, only behind G.Jarrett, Donald, and Campbell.

Top 10 DT Pass Rush Win Rate

1. Grady Jarrett, Falcons, 28%
2. Aaron Donald, Rams, 27%
3. Calais Campbell, Jaguars, 26%
4. Ed Oliver, Bills, 22%
5. Chris Jones, Chiefs, 22%
6. Quinton Jefferson, Seahawks, 21%
7. Maliek Collins, Cowboys, 20%
8. Eddie Goldman, Bears, 19%
9. Corey Peters, Cardinals, 16%
10. Christian Covington, Cowboys, 16%

Also, in the same link above where it also has pass block win rate stats, Morse is #10 (94%) among the centers, only Bills' O-line in top 10 in individual positions. However, Bills has an overall 63% pass block win rate which is good for #6 in all 32 teams.

I posted this earlier in another thread. and didn't get much response... hopefully its gets its due praise in here. Oliver hasn't gotten "home" yet but he's altered plenty of pockets and throws so far.

Oliver collapsing the pocket could mean everything this week

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

How is it a pass rush win if he's not even had a QB hit?

Asking for a friend.

From the 2nd paragraph of the article:

Our Pass Block Win Rate metric tells us the rate at which linemen can sustain their blocks for 2.5 seconds or longer. Likewise, our Pass Rush Win Rate metric tells us how often a pass-rusher is able to beat his block within 2.5 seconds. Our model of pass blocking harnesses player tracking data from NFL Next Gen Stats.

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Asking for a friend.

there was a play he pushed an interior lineman straight back into Dalton altering the throw on sunday. I would call that a win without touching the qb…. I don't get your deal with this dude.

there's this stat and the fact that he's gotten the most snaps of any interior lineman on the team and they are top ten in rush yds allowed. I suppose it could be coincidence, but I doubt it.... the guy has done well. period.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

there was a play he pushed an interior lineman straight back into Dalton altering the throw on sunday. I would call that a win without touching the qb…. I don't get your deal with this dude.

there's this stat and the fact that he's gotten the most snaps of any interior lineman on the team and they are top ten in rush yds allowed.... the dude has done well. period.

My deal with this dude is that I don't think we should have drafted him with a need for offensive weapons. I'm warming up to him, but I'm not ready to consider him ANY kind of game changer at the moment.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

there's this stat and the fact that he's gotten the most snaps of any interior lineman on the team and they are top ten in rush yds allowed.... the dude has done well. period.

The problem is Ed Oliver's name isn't D.K. Metcalf.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, gregor7777 said:

From the 2nd paragraph of the article:

Our Pass Block Win Rate metric tells us the rate at which linemen can sustain their blocks for 2.5 seconds or longer. Likewise, our Pass Rush Win Rate metric tells us how often a pass-rusher is able to beat his block within 2.5 seconds. Our model of pass blocking harnesses player tracking data from NFL Next Gen Stats.

These next gen stats are useless

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Asking for a friend.

This link has the explanation of PBWR and PRWR: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24892208/creating-better-nfl-pass-blocking-pass-rushing-stats-analytics-explainer-faq-how-work

OK, what is this exactly?

Our new Pass Block Win Rate metric tells us the rate at which linemen can sustain their blocks for 2.5 seconds or longer. Likewise, our Pass Rush Win Rate metric tells us how often a pass-rusher is able to beat his block within 2.5 seconds. Our model of pass blocking harnesses player tracking data from NFL Next Gen Stats.

So, what can these stats help show?

Now we finally have objective individual stats for linemen for their most critical tasks -- defending and attacking the passer. We can also know who is blocking whom on every snap, who was double-teamed, who got pressure from the edges and who got pressure by collapsing the pocket. The end result is that we can assess individual performance and team-level performance in the trenches separate and apart from the performance of the quarterback, receivers and secondary.

How do they work?

It's actually pretty simple -- there's no fancy machine learning involved. Our model uses the location, proximity and orientation of each player relative to every other player throughout a play to determine who is blocking whom. When a pass-rusher beats his block, we can tell which blocker allowed the pressure. And just as importantly, we know how long after the snap it occurred.

Why are they better than stats?

Metrics like QB pressures and time in pocket might be useful, but they can be misleading. A QB pressure can occur for several reasons other than unreliable pass protection, such as good coverage, poor route-running or missed reads by the quarterback. Our win rate metric isolates line play from those other factors. Also, time in pocket metrics don't know the difference between a quick read and release by the quarterback and ineffective pass protection. If a passer throws at 1.8 seconds after the snap, does that mean he only had 1.8 seconds to throw, or did he execute his read quickly? Our metrics know the difference.

• Thank you (+1) 2