I've spent the last 6 days fighting kidney stones

Steptide

21 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Yowza, that sounds horrible.

It's kinda concerning me so many other people are chiming in with, "Oh yeah, had those too." How common are they? How does one prevent them?

Drinking the proper amount of water every day is one of the biggest, and easiest things you can do to prevent them. 

That is what they believe caused both of mine (as of now, anyway). I’ll spare you the details on the test specifics, but I had numerous tests done to see what caused mine and the only thing they found (so far) was that I didn’t drink enough water.

There are other things that can put you at greater risk (like high uric acid levels or genetics as I believe they can run in the family. They definitely do on my mom’s side of my family. Almost Everyone has had them. Grandma, 2 aunts, an uncle, 5-6 cousins + my mom and I). If you ever have one they will do tests to see what caused it and if you are doing anything that puts you at greater risk as there are numerous types of kidney stones (calcium, uric acid, costing, struvite) and each can be caused by different things. Mine were/are calcium stones and appear to be caused by me not drinking enough water. 

My doctor said to make sure I drink at least 2 liters of water each day. He also said Lemon on water is great. Unsweetened. Just straight lemons/lemon juice in water. 

had my first one last year. worst pain was when it passed through the ureter. when passing through the ureter it has some kind of squeezing reflex and when it squeezes the pain is pretty  intense wrenching pain.

I went to the hospital and they did some xrays and by the time the dr came in with the diagnosis the pain had subsided. 

she said it likely had passed in to the bladder was why I wasn't hurting anymore and sent me home with a screened cup to piss in and the next morning I passed it.

looking at the damn thing it was no wonder it was so painful, it looked like a sand spur with all these pointed edges.

thing was, it didn't hurt much at all when it took its final departure from my body.

good luck OP.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

had my first one last year. worst pain was when it passed through the ureter. when passing through the ureter it has some kind of squeezing reflex and when it squeezes the pain is pretty  intense wrenching pain.

I went to the hospital and they did some xrays and by the time the dr came in with the diagnosis the pain had subsided. 

she said it likely had passed in to the bladder was why I wasn't hurting anymore and sent me home with a screened cup to piss in and the next morning I passed it.

looking at the damn thing it was no wonder it was so painful, it looked like a sand spur with all these pointed edges.

thing was, it didn't hurt much at all when it took its final departure from my body.

good luck OP.

Reason for that is, your urethra that goes from your bladder out is bigger than the ones that connect from the kidneys to the bladder. Generally once the stone reaches your bladder, you're home free. Mine unfortunately is still in my kidney. I actually have to go back to the hospital next Tuesday so they can go back in and blast it with a laser. Just found out this morning. This sucks. 

Just now, Steptide said:

Reason for that is, your urethra that goes from your bladder out is bigger than the ones that connect from the kidneys to the bladder. Generally once the stone reaches your bladder, you're home free. Mine unfortunately is still in my kidney. I actually have to go back to the hospital next Tuesday so they can go back in and blast it with a laser. Just found out this morning. This sucks. 

oh, I know it is. it took about two days to pass for me when all was said and done. your situation is obviously worse. since then I drink plenty of water each day to keep things flushing through smoothly.

38 minutes ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

Want possible relief (I stress possible)?

WebMD is a respected medical information web site, so this isn't a joke - - it's real:

https://www.webmd.com/kidney-stones/news/20160928/kidney-stone-roller-coaster

Small stones.  

I’ve had 4 or 5 minor ones.  Sure I can credit a roller coaster ride.   I can blame the same ride for making me puke ? too.  

? 

1 hour ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

WebMD is a respected medical information web site, so this isn't a joke - - it's real:

Wouldn't surprise me.

First one I had, I got so dehydrated they had to put me on two IVs in the ER.  They ultimately gave me a contrast dye for tests, and the dye was heavy enough to force it out.  They told me "Yeah, that happens a lot."

The most remarkable thing for me was that it's immediate relief.  I went in five minutes from absolute agony to being perfectly fine.  I went straight from the ER to a bar, and felt none the worse for it.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Wouldn't surprise me.

First one I had, I got so dehydrated they had to put me on two IVs in the ER.  They ultimately gave me a contrast dye for tests, and the dye was heavy enough to force it out.  They told me "Yeah, that happens a lot."

The most remarkable thing for me was that it's immediate relief.  I went in five minutes from absolute agony to being perfectly fine.  I went straight from the ER to a bar, and felt none the worse for it.

Same for me.  I went into the ER restroom and peed it out and almost instantly I was feeling fine other than a little fatigue. Very difficult to see with the naked eye and the inexperienced nurse had wondered if I had caught it with the screen until reminded of that possibility.  

22 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Wouldn't surprise me.

That's how I was the first time I had them. Worst pain ever followed by being completely normal and feeling fine. This time however, it's been over a week and this stone refuses to move. Cannot wait for all this to be over and feeling normal again 

On 9/26/2019 at 8:03 PM, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

Another fun way to gain some potential relief (in more way than one...lol) -

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/seriouslyscience/2015/10/12/having-sex-might-help-you-pass-a-kidney-stone/#.XY6kMRopBvI

On 9/26/2019 at 2:30 PM, BillsFan4 said:

Drinking the proper amount of water every day is one of the biggest, and easiest things you can do to prevent them. 

That is what they believe caused both of mine (as of now, anyway). I’ll spare you the details on the test specifics, but I had numerous tests done to see what caused mine and the only thing they found (so far) was that I didn’t drink enough water.

That was the cause of mine back in June. 

• Like (+1) 1

I had my kidneys screened a few years ago and was told I have one sitting in my kidney.  Just waiting for the day the pain comes.  

Have had gout off and on for 20 years now and at certain times that pain was bad, to the point that I wanted to saw my own foot off.  Rough stuff.

On 9/25/2019 at 1:38 PM, Steptide said:

If you have ever had kidney stones, you know exactly what I'm talking about, if you haven't, pray you never have to experience what I would consider the worst natural pain man can feel. 

This all started last Thursday. I have had kidney stones once before about 6 years ago. As bad as it was 6byears ago, it passed rather quick (1 day) and that was the end of that. I THOUGHT it couldn't be any worse than that, up until last Thursday. I'm leaving work around 5pm, I can feel that pain slowly creeping in, but keep telling myself it's not happening again. Fast forward 15 mins, I'm stuck in rush hour traffic, sweating perfusely and trying not to vomit. It was happening again. Get home and do only what you really can do, which is drink a ton of water and grin and bear the pain. The pain persists throughout the night until about 1 am. Finally some relief, however I then start vomiting what would seem to be a weeks worth of food and drink. My wife even said she's never seen some puke like that before. Anyways. I manage some sleep, but the pain keeps returning, more and more intense. My Dr tells me to keep pounding water and pass it. By Saturday morning, the Agony was so bad my wife forced me to go to the er (she has a friend who works there and they litterally walked us straight into a room). I was finally able to get some pain relief, but long story short, I end up being there until Monday, where they put a Stent in my kidney/urethra to help me pee. Here I sit on weds still waiting to pass this stone, and the worst is I have to go back and get the Stent out once I do

Cant they do ultrasound and break up the stones?? A friend of mine had it done.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Cant they do ultrasound and break up the stones?? A friend of mine had it done.

I don't know if they do that anymore. I'm actually about to leave for the hospital to have them blasted with laser. They actually go in your kidney though 

• Sad 1