Josh Allen - Draft night retrospect

BringBackFergy

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think even on some terrible football teams Rosen has showed that when protected he can make some of the elite NFL throws. He has also made some poor throws but I still think the tools are there for Josh Rosen to be a good NFL QB - even if we are unlikely to ever see him properly establish himself. I like Matt Barkley, he is a good backup. But I don't think he has ever been a guy capable of making the elite throws and if you watch his NFL career before Buffalo there were plenty of poor throws on his tape. 

Yeah, but what sits on the shoulders matters more and I like Barkley alot more from that perspective.

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

Until I see him really improve & show he was worth stockpiling all those picks for (including moves like passing on Mahomes), I still think it was a dumb idea for this defensive-minded coaching staff to pick the most raw QB in the draft, all while having no O-linemen, weapons, etc. and go into the 2017 season with no veteran leadership on the entire roster...

Just good ol' Nathan Peterman "earning" the starting job & Josh Allen to back him up....for 2 quarters.

/rant

You are implying that Peterman isn't any good?   But he was picked up and kept on the roster by a super bowl winning Coach.   Also ,  a number of TBDers insist that Peterman is a very competent quarterback that just needs the right chance.

Just a quick note to say once again: I don't think Josh Allen is a "franchise QB" yet...I don't want this thread to come off as an "I told you so" (because I had no horse in this race on draft night) nor do I want it to appear Josh is "better" than any of the other QB's taken that year. The purpose of this thread was to re-visit our collective "hot takes" from an important date in our history as a franchise.  I also don't want this thread to be the kiss of death for Allen vs. the Pats so I will go ahead and project that Tom Brady will out perform Allen by 2 TD's and 170 yds.

There, I feel better now.

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

Until I see him really improve & show he was worth stockpiling all those picks for (including moves like passing on Mahomes), I still think it was a dumb idea for this defensive-minded coaching staff to pick the most raw QB in the draft, all while having no O-linemen, weapons, etc. and go into the 2017 season with no veteran leadership on the entire roster...

Just good ol' Nathan Peterman "earning" the starting job & Josh Allen to back him up....for 2 quarters.

The guys who thought all these things were good ideas, and not only drafted Peterman, but thought he was so ready they could afford starting him with no other QB's aside from a rookie as depth, are supposed to be the ones who are going to develop the physically gifted, "all the tools but none of the production," QB into a franchise guy?

Threads like this are amusing though, acting as if Allen has already solidified his place as a franchise guys after going 3-3 with the weakest remaining schedule to end last season, followed by 3 close struggles against teams with a combined 1-8 record. YEP! Brett Favre 2.0 has arrived! 

Thank goodness we passed on QB's that already have proven to be GREAT...we have a guy that could POSSIBLY be fairly solid, well as long as the defense can hold on for dear life when he dissapears for half of each game or constantly leaves them against the fence with crap field position either off turnovers or being unable to move the ball! 

But don't worry, as long as we can keep a top 5 defense, play a weak schedule, and put great talent around him, we can possibly make the playoffs every once in a while, and that's ultimately the goal right?! 

I don't care if I sound like I hater at this point. I just want to see 4 full quarters of SOLID, just SOLID, QB play against a good team. Win or lose. If that happens a couple times, I'll revel in looking at all the wrong "experts" and draft gurus and eat crow with the rest of them.

/rant

296AC88C-B267-41D6-93C6-4C077D75C089.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 4