Josh Allen - Draft night retrospect

BringBackFergy

11 hours ago, Big Curt said:

The Jury is still out on him.  He's inconsistent at best and barely average for a starting QB.  He has potential and that is all at this point.   R.E.L.A.X  Do I like what I see thus far? Absolutely.  However, this is such a small sample size and people already have him in tha hall of Fame.

Who? What people have said this?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Lucky for me I don't watch college ball so I sit oblivious and just like every pick we take when its a position we need.  Then I just hope they pan out.  I love this kid far.  Allen has a ways to go but I think he is doing a great job so far.  Plus, could you ask for a player with a better attitude?  He has a lot of heart and already a leader at 23.  Allen loves being a Buffalo Bill and loves this city.  A lot of people hate the "hero ball" and I get it... but I also love it.  He wants to win and will do whatever it takes to do so.  He has confidence in himself.  Those are good traits.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have no desire to have a pissing contest but if you want to play credibility comparison on this message board then let's go. 

Eat enough and even a blind squirrel finds a few nuts. Rosen over Allen was an good one!

How about instead of pissing all over, tell me are you sticking by your prediction. And also...really, why do you like Rosen over Barkley? What's Rosen done or showed you?

Edited by foreboding

25 minutes ago, foreboding said:

Eat enough and even a blind squirrel finds a few nuts. Rosen over Allen was an good one!

How about instead of pissing all over, tell me are you sticking by your prediction. And also...really, why do you like Rosen over Barkley? What's Rosen done or showed you?

I think even on some terrible football teams Rosen has showed that when protected he can make some of the elite NFL throws. He has also made some poor throws but I still think the tools are there for Josh Rosen to be a good NFL QB - even if we are unlikely to ever see him properly establish himself. I like Matt Barkley, he is a good backup. But I don't think he has ever been a guy capable of making the elite throws and if you watch his NFL career before Buffalo there were plenty of poor throws on his tape. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, foreboding said:

If you read this board, you'd know that you're out of bounds here.

Gunner is an excellent evaluator of prospects--as good as anyone on this board and certainly as good as most of the talking heads on TV.

He gets 'em wrong sometimes. We all do. But if you want to pick on him for it, you should also know that he's the guy that called Dak Prescott a borderline first round pick when everyone else had him as a day 3 guy. He's right a lot more often than he's wrong.

Gunner and I don't always agree on draft prospects, and that's why I value his opinion. He's going to be right about some guys that I miss on, and vice versa. 

But when it comes to trashing his take on a player, slow your roll; he's already done a complete 180 and called Allen the most likely franchise QB from the 2018 class.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Great thread, Fergy.

I wanted in order:

1. Mayfield (I'm a big Sooners fan)

2. Darnold

3. Rosen (smh)

4. Allen

I knew next to nothing about JA at the time.  Thought that Beane definitely had some brass ones to make that pick.  The more I found out about Allen, the more I liked him.  The guy is just a good, genuine person.  Very natural like no stage is too big for him.  Very raw of course but also extremely hungry to prove himself with real competition.  Seeing his 85 yard bombs at his pro day got me a little bit excited too.  Aside from his occasional awful INT's, what's not to like about him?  Having been a Bills fan for 30 years now, it's a very strange feeling to feel so great about the QB situation.  Real, genuine hope.  With guys like Fitz and Tyrod, you knew they had a ceiling and so you tempered your optimism accordingly.  Things feel very differently now.  Now let's get some friggin' W's and a few dozen SB rings!

• Like (+1) 1

I was on the main draft floor for that draft.  I remember thinking that once it was the Bills turn to pick, I was anticipating Rosen,  All the "Josh" debates here...and so much pre draft posting in here was anti Allen....I posted here right after it happened....kind of in a douchebag way....

Freaking Awesome!  All moves, the trade last year, and you get Allen.  CONGRATULATIONS!

....it was meant as knock on the Bills and Bills fans for having endured and waited for their new QB, and you got the one most of you didn't want.

Of course I've still been here and like many of you, Allen (and the fans here) won me over.  I like the kid.  He's fun to watch.  I'm glad to see good things happening in Buffalo and I root for the Bills when I'm not rooting for the Chiefs.  

I am a HUGE numbers guy and I've been watching with great interest to see if the numbers guys were going to win out, or if Allen really was this kid that just never did get good coaching, was a late bloomer etc.  Such a fun thing watch unfold.  

• Like (+1) 3

I remember Draft night.. I don’t follow much college ball where I can claim I knew enough about any of the guys. I just heard the hype on Rosen over and over from the media , fans I thought for sure he would be the pick.

my quick observations over this year 1 and year 2

rosen comes off just wrong. When things go wrong he shifts blame off him. His attitude alone wouldn’t work here. He won’t survive Much if he gets hit a lot he looks smaller than roscoe Parrish .

baker.. not sure what the hype about is yet. I know he had some Success year one. He’s a bit small but seems like he can make some plays. He gets kind of pissy when called out ..like he does have Odell and Landry...

Darnold- jets trades up for a guy who will be solid but not spectacular. I think his arm leaves a loss to be desired , I see why some look at him as captain checkdown.

My man Josh Allen! Love this kid! Humble , work ethic, exciting, killer arm making throws I don’t think many qbs in this league can make, still making bad decisions. But I’ll take the good with the bad! They have the right coaches moving him along in the right direction. He says all the right things, embraces Buffalo! Refreshing is the small portion of the media who actually watches the games and see what he brings other than those who just follow the narrative of His completion Percentage. Decision making needs to be improved. I don’t need him to be in the hall of fame. I need him to be a solid qb with a team around him. 

He is our guy. I read a lot of post thinking we will cut bait if he doesn’t make noticeable improvement (Mostly from haters I guess) I disagree . He ain’t going no where for a long time. In a league where teams build their franchises around the likes of Stafford, wentz Matt ryan’s to name a few. I take josh over any of them every day.

• Like (+1) 2

Until I see him really improve & show he was worth stockpiling all those picks for (including moves like passing on Mahomes), I still think it was a dumb idea for this defensive-minded coaching staff to pick the most raw QB in the draft, all while having no O-linemen, weapons, etc. and go into the 2017 season with no veteran leadership on the entire roster...

Just good ol' Nathan Peterman "earning" the starting job & Josh Allen to back him up....for 2 quarters.

The guys who thought all these things were good ideas, and not only drafted Peterman, but thought he was so ready they could afford starting him with no other QB's aside from a rookie as depth, are supposed to be the ones who are going to develop the physically gifted, "all the tools but none of the production," QB into a franchise guy?

Threads like this are amusing though, acting as if Allen has already solidified his place as a franchise guys after going 3-3 with the weakest remaining schedule to end last season, followed by 3 close struggles against teams with a combined 1-8 record. YEP! Brett Favre 2.0 has arrived! 

Thank goodness we passed on QB's that already have proven to be GREAT...we have a guy that could POSSIBLY be fairly solid, well as long as the defense can hold on for dear life when he dissapears for half of each game or constantly leaves them against the fence with crap field position either off turnovers or being unable to move the ball! 

But don't worry, as long as we can keep a top 5 defense, play a weak schedule, and put great talent around him, we can possibly make the playoffs every once in a while, and that's ultimately the goal right?! 

I don't care if I sound like I hater at this point. I just want to see 4 full quarters of SOLID, just SOLID, QB play against a good team. Win or lose. If that happens a couple times, I'll revel in looking at all the wrong "experts" and draft gurus and eat crow with the rest of them.

/rant

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Until I see him really improve & show he was worth stockpiling all those picks for (including moves like passing on Mahomes), I still think it was a dumb idea for this defensive-minded coaching staff to pick the most raw QB in the draft, all while having no O-linemen, weapons, etc. and go into the 2017 season with no veteran leadership on the entire roster...

Just good ol' Nathan Peterman "earning" the starting job & Josh Allen to back him up....for 2 quarters.

The guys who thought all these things were good ideas, and not only drafted Peterman, but thought he was so ready they could afford starting him with no other QB's aside from a rookie as depth, are supposed to be the ones who are going to develop the physically gifted, "all the tools but none of the production," QB into a franchise guy?

Threads like this are amusing though, acting as if Allen has already solidified his place as a franchise guys after going 3-3 with the weakest remaining schedule to end last season, followed by 3 close struggles against teams with a combined 1-8 record. YEP! Brett Favre 2.0 has arrived! 

Thank goodness we passed on QB's that already have proven to be GREAT...we have a guy that could POSSIBLY be fairly solid, well as long as the defense can hold on for dear life when he dissapears for half of each game or constantly leaves them against the fence with crap field position either off turnovers or being unable to move the ball! 

But don't worry, as long as we can keep a top 5 defense, play a weak schedule, and put great talent around him, we can possibly make the playoffs every once in a while, and that's ultimately the goal right?! 

I don't care if I sound like I hater at this point. I just want to see 4 full quarters of SOLID, just SOLID, QB play against a good team. Win or lose. If that happens a couple times, I'll revel in looking at all the wrong "experts" and draft gurus and eat crow with the rest of them.

/rant

Until you see him improve huh?

So the faster release time, improved accuracy, sustained drives, 3rd down conversion rate, and 4th quarter passer rating don't look like an improvement to you?

If it's not enough at this point, that's fine, but acting as though he hasn't improved dramatically from a guy that was playing at Wyoming 18 months ago is a laughable position.

No offense intended there.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1