Josh Allen - Draft night retrospect

BringBackFergy

2 hours ago, foreboding said:

No chance, Josh's physical gifts are too great. Even if he wasnt improving at the rate he is...he's the kind of qb that gets multiple chances. 

This is so true.   QBs with big arms get a lot of chances, just like guys with 4.3 speed. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RobbRiddick said:

I have noticed something in this forum: during the gameday threads there's always a lot of posters who turn up whenever Allen has made a mistake or the team is struggling, then disappear when the he brings them back to win.

I guess if NE do the expected and give the Bills a beating there will be hundreds of them crawling out the woodwork

It's certainly possible...but judging by the number of members above who have said they weren't high on Allen but would give him time, we all have to judge him based on the good (last four regular season games) and the bad (hero ball throws, misfires, etc).

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I have noticed something in this forum: during the gameday threads there's always a lot of posters who turn up whenever Allen has made a mistake or the team is struggling, then disappear when the he brings them back to win.

I guess if NE do the expected and give the Bills a beating there will be hundreds of them crawling out the woodwork

It works in reverse too.  When we win or things go well, the clueless kool aid crowd becomes emboldened and they start all manner of post-game threads talking about Josh Allen being better than Mahomes, us going to the Super Bowl this year, and all manner of other nonsense.

This forum usually swings between 2 extremes.  Most commentary is not fair, balanced, accurate, and well reasoned.

It's crazy seeing how much opinions have changed in a year and change. I admittedly was a Rosen guy, but my opinion on Allen changed a lot when I listened to the Move the Sticks podcast episode that featured him and interviewed him. He came off as such a humble and honest guy, I knew he would fit in here personality wise, so I was more disappointed that we didn't take my guy than I was about picking Allen in general. Looking back on it, so far I'm really glad I'm not the GM of this team. We might have been in "Tank for Tua" mode right now instead of playing the Pats at home for first place in the AFCE. 

Before the draft, I was hoping that Allen would go first to Browns in the All-Time Brownsie move, Mayfield third, and that we'd get Darnold at 7.  

At this point I'm much happier with Allen than I think I would be with Darnold.  Allen just fits this team and city like a damn glove.  

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Capco said:

Before the draft, I was hoping that Allen would go first to Browns in the All-Time Brownsie move, Mayfield third, and that we'd get Darnold at 7.  

At this point I'm much happier with Allen than I think I would be with Darnold.  Allen just fits this team and city like a damn glove.  

I have no interest in how he fits the team or city! 

I have an interest in how well he plays quarterback during games.

Does Brady fit Boston like a glove?  What does that even mean?

Edited by Nextmanup

I was cautiously optimistic, although I was in the process of moving into a hotel with my wife and kids since our house flooded so my mood was a bit sour. I sat in a hotel lobby as they made the pick and was sitting with a few businessmen who were watching as well. One guy laughed, the other two said they wished he went to NY. I sat in silence, said “alright then” and ventured back to my room. I missed the trade up after that entirely lol.

Edited by KingBoots8
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm curious how Allen's QB passer rating inside the pocket stacks up this year against the other young QB's (5 years or less).  Last season i believe he was 2nd last of 16 guys.  This year Josh looks much better and is hanging in there to scan the D as long as possible.

As for this thread, i was hoping Darnold would be there.  All i knew about Allen was that he was another big arm, no big game experience, raw talent.  

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You mean the anti-semitic trolls who spammed the board for the month leading up to the draft, only to have completely disappeared ever since? (Or gone back to their real usernames and are still among us)

My family is Jewish and I thought (and still think) that Rosen's a jerk.

Not sure why not liking him has to be politically-motivated or bigoted.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

My family is Jewish and I thought (and still think) that Rosen's a jerk.

Not sure why not liking him has to be politically-motivated or bigoted.

I wasnt talking about you. I was talking about the specific troll posters who made new screen names and accounts, and blew this board up for an entire month with plenty of anti-semitic rhetoric. A number of them were removed and banned because of their behavior. It happened.

I never said "anyone who doesnt like Rosen hates Jews!" or anything along those dumb lines.

Dont strawman me bro!

Edited by DrDawkinstein

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I wasnt talking about you. I was talking about the specific troll posters who made new screen names and accounts, and blew this board up for an entire month with plenty of anti-semitic rhetoric. A number of them were removed and banned because of their behavior. It happened.

I never said "anyone who doesnt like Rosen hates Jews!" or anything along those dumb lines.

I guess somehow I missed all of those posts. I have literally no recollection of that--and believe me I'd have noticed (for obvious reasons).

• Like (+1) 2

I loved Mahomes coming into the draft and just thought he had that "it" "wow" thing going on.

Allen about a month away from the draft I hated.   Then as I began to see more of him leading up to the draft I began liking him more and more as each day passed to the point that I came to the conclusion that if we drafted him I'd be perfectly ok with him.  To the point on the day or day after we drafted him I created a thread attempting to dispel the notion that he was an inaccurate passer and that with better mechanics, supporting cast and reign in his deep ball mentality that he'd be just fine with his accuracy on his throws.

Also I mentioned that he could possibly end up being one of the best QB's in the league outside of the pocket.   And that I thought that there was a pretty good chance that he'd have a better career than Rosen.   Alot of folks disagreed.

I'm just stoked that we got the RIGHT JOSH!

I wanted Rosen, but that's because the media said I should want him. I don't watch college ball. The media said Rosen was the most accurate and pro ready, they said he had a good arm and made good decisions. I didn't think the criticism of him being a rich kid without the need to play football was important (still don't), and I figured that if he had an attitude problem he could stand in line with the countless other QB's who are/were pompous, weren't good teammates, and demanded special treatment.

The media told me that Josh Allen was never going to amount to anything and that his accuracy was so bad that he could never perform. They told me that completion percentage was something you couldn't improve that much. So I ate it up. I was down on Allen. I wanted Darnold, Mayfield, or Rosen, but I knew Darnold and Mayfield wouldn't be there.

So the whole exercise taught me a lot. Don't believe everything the media, analysts, and experts say. They are guessing like the rest of us. They don't measure drive, determination, leadership, and especially don't account for the strength of the offensive line and skill positions around these QB's, or the scheme and coaching in which they operate. The people who look at the full package are the ones who actually work in the NFL and help teams make decisions, not the ones who are on TV.

When the Bills picked Allen I was disappointed, but I didn't go online and bash the team. I knew I wasn't qualified to judge the pick. So I took a wait and see approach. After watching highlights and reading up on Josh, wasn't hard to start liking him. Seeing him perform in his rookie year completely sold me on him. He just has that "it" factor.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Magox said:

I loved Mahomes coming into the draft and just thought he had that "it" "wow" thing going on.

Allen about a month away from the draft I hated.   Then as I began to see more of him leading up to the draft I began liking him more and more as each day passed to the point that I came to the conclusion that if we drafted him I'd be perfectly ok with him.  To the point on the day or day after we drafted him I created a thread attempting to dispel the notion that he was an inaccurate passer and that with better mechanics, supporting cast and reign in his deep ball mentality that he'd be just fine with his accuracy on his throws.

Also I mentioned that he could possibly end up being one of the best QB's in the league outside of the pocket.   And that I thought that there was a pretty good chance that he'd have a better career than Rosen.   Alot of folks disagreed.

I'm just stoked that we got the RIGHT JOSH!

I also liked Mahomes, but since I don't follow college football I didn't know much about him besides his stats. Everyone said you couldn't trust the stats because he was in an air raid offense, but to me, watching the highlights, it just seemed like he could play ball. If we were going to take a QB that year I hoped it would be him.

But I totally get the Bills passing on him. They weren't in a good position to make a franchise altering decision like that. Lame duck GM and a coach brand new on the job. I definitely saw the reasoning behind getting the GM in place first and having a full year of evaluation before going down that road. Ultimately I hope Mahomes and Allen both have long, successful, championship filled careers and that the trade worked out for both teams.