If Tremaine Edmunds has a problem.....

28 minutes ago, GG said:

Do a deeper dive on Bengals' last 4 drives and you will see a lot of chinks in the Bills dominant D armor.  This is one of those instances where the stats are misleading.   Once Dalton got in the groove, the defense had a hard time forcing a stop on downs.

Dalton is a good QB and they were desperate.

Only a fool thought Dalton wouldn't manufacture something eventually

The Bills were giving him everything in front of him. And they were max protecting a bunch for him giving him time

Edited by Buffalo716

45 minutes ago, GG said:

Do a deeper dive on Bengals' last 4 drives and you will see a lot of chinks in the Bills dominant D armor.  This is one of those instances where the stats are misleading.   Once Dalton got in the groove, the defense had a hard time forcing a stop on downs.

You don’t have to rewind the tape, just watch this Sunday.  That 33 yard screen that embarrassed Edmunds will be the platform for an entire selection of plays the Patriots use this weekend.  They’re gonna test Edmunds all day.

1 hour ago, GG said:

Well, i mean they allowed 243 yards passing and 17 points. Since the beginning of last year they basically lead the NFL or are in the top 5 in almost every pass defense statistic and have forced the most 3 and outs in the NFL. They also lead the league in fewest plays of 30+ yards allowed in that time.

You watch the games and you think "wow they are giving up a lot of catches/plays" and then you look at the end of the game and the other team routinely only has 150-250 yards passing, with a big chunk coming when the Bills drop way back like at the end of the first half against the Bengals and let them get 30+ yards and just make the easy tackle, and 200-300 yards of offense which honestly is nothing in todays game. They give up a lot of short plays and then come up and make the tackles. Its really hard for a team to score a lot of points when they need to string together 10, 12, 14 plays on a drive to score a TD...

So while i will agree they arent dominant like the Bears can be at times, they are highly effective at what they do and are just very consistently solid from play to play and drive to drive with a few hiccups here and there like any team has.

Edited by matter2003

On 9/24/2019 at 5:23 PM, K-9 said:

Contrary to popular belief, the key to beating NE*** is stopping the run. Has been for several years now. Brady is hard enough to control when he IS forced to be one dimensional, it’s virtually impossible when he’s constantly in manageable down and distance situations. 

Against the Steelers, New England had 103 yards rushing versus 341 via Brady's passing.

Against Miami, New England had 124 yards rushing versus 264 passing, and

against the Jets, New England 68 yards rushing versus 320 yards passing (14 of those from Jarrett Stidham.  Against the Jets in particular, Burkhead was their only effective runner.  13 of their yards came from WRs (Dorsett and Gordon).  I think it is true that New England is trying to shift toward being a power running team, but Brady can still do damage when it's on him.

4 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

No way. No MLB they plug in is going to be nearly as effective in the pass game, where it reallllly matters. 

This would be foolish. This is the equivalent of having a run first offense in todays NFL. It is based on an outdated philosophy. 

Wow.......next level.........you got some heat maps that will prove that there isn't a better MLB in football than Edmunds?

If you think it's OK that 4 members of the secondary have more tackles than the MLB thru 3 games then maybe you were ok with the secondary sucking wind in the second half against Cinci despite a near 20 minute TOP advantage going into the second half and finishing with a 13 minute advantage.

The two teams that played in the SB last year made a living running over teams that were imbalanced toward pass defense.......the Bills were one of those when the Pats ran them over for about 300 on the road in NE.

Getting run over by good teams is not playing 4D chess..........the Bills need their MLB to do better against the run and absorb more of those tackles to protect the secondary.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Wow.......next level.........you got some heat maps that will prove that there isn't a better MLB in football than Edmunds?

If you think it's OK that 4 members of the secondary have more tackles than the MLB thru 3 games then maybe you were ok with the secondary sucking wind in the second half against Cinci despite a near 20 minute TOP advantage going into the second half and finishing with a 13 minute advantage.

The two teams that played in the SB last year made a living running over teams that were imbalanced toward pass defense.......the Bills were one of those when the Pats ran them over for about 300 on the road in NE.

Getting run over by good teams is not playing 4D chess..........the Bills need their MLB to do better against the run and absorb more of those tackles to protect the secondary.

Lol. I can't believe you exist in real life. 

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

So - sure enough, Edmunds proved me wrong yesterday.  He FINALLY put his nose and pads down and got violent.  That was the game I’ve been waiting for.  For the first time in his career (from my perspective), he looked like a complete MLB yesterday.  Hopefully he keeps it up.  He can be elite.

7 solo tackles, one pass defensed, 4 assists, and two tackles for a loss, and basically all over the field. A dominant, all-pro level performance yesterday. 

On 9/25/2019 at 8:40 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

woops

On 9/25/2019 at 8:40 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

23 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

woops

Their MLB did better against the run and absorbed tackles to protect the secondary.

Right again is what you should say JoshAllenHasMoreTurnoversThanABakery.........notice the 11 tackles for Edmunds and just 6 for Poyer...........that's how it's supposed to look in this defense.

Now do it every week.

At least now I can change the refrain from "hopefully it starts to this week" to "hopefully it continues this week".

On 9/30/2019 at 9:28 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

So - sure enough, Edmunds proved me wrong yesterday.  He FINALLY put his nose and pads down and got violent.  That was the game I’ve been waiting for.  For the first time in his career (from my perspective), he looked like a complete MLB yesterday.  Hopefully he keeps it up.  He can be elite.

I thought he had a great game against the Dolphins in week 17 last year............not surprisingly after a humbling one against the Pats.  

Getting motivated to play your best game by the Patriots is great.........Rex Ryan's Jets used to regularly elevate their play against the Patriots...........but doing it week in and week out is how you emulate the Patriots.   

24 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Their MLB did better against the run and absorbed tackles to protect the secondary.

Right again is what you should say JoshAllenHasMoreTurnoversThanABakery.........notice the 11 tackles for Edmunds and just 6 for Poyer...........that's how it's supposed to look in this defense.

Now do it every week.

At least now I can change the refrain from "hopefully it starts to this week" to "hopefully it continues this week".

Yes, because that really matters when you have the #2 defense in the league.  Edmunds is fulfilling his assignments, forcing runners into other tacklers.  That is how this defense works. 

Sometimes its just best to walk away from a bad argument. 

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Yes, because that really matters when you have the #2 defense in the league.  Edmunds is fulfilling his assignments, forcing runners into other tacklers.  That is how this defense works. 

Sometimes its just best to walk away from a bad argument. 

Should I walk away from the opinion that McDermott continues to get outcoached by Belichick?

These aren't predictions........I never predicted Edmunds would have a bad game against NE.........these are observations about what HAS ACTUALLY HAPPENED.........but hey I guess all those times Edmunds has been glued to blocks he was tying up blockers.:lol:

I have very high expectations for Edmunds.........love the player and loved the pick..........but a few very good games over two seasons isn't enough..........you need consistency from the MLB in this defense.    He has the talent.    Let's see it.   Let's see that 24 tackle,  domination game against NE in the finale like Luke Kuechly against the Saints some years ago under McDermott.

We've been told by teammates that he's HOF..........well that line starts at "great" not at "better than Preston Brown".

And don't tell me the game is changing NOW........LB's have been getting faster and subsequently less sturdy against the run for years........offense has been exceptionally skewed to the pass since the NFL cracked down on hits to the QB and defenseless receivers(2010?) and the following season 7 of the top 25 all time individual passing yardage seasons were produced.

It's not new at all........you just weren't paying attention back when you were loving the Reggie Ragland draft pick.   :lol: