Joe B. All-22 From Bengals game

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

I think Josh’s average release time gets skewed by some of his scrambles. For instance, there was one play where he held it for eight seconds!!!

Most QB's scramble, I would think for many of them, this stat evens out.

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Paraphrasing —

-trusted his eyes this week more in the run game. Fired into the running lane. Forced the RB to choose otherwise. 

-was also a monster in the open field

—routinely took away space in pass coverage, when playing man-to-man and zone.

-speed and athleticism to get to the edges and continued to force the runner out wide.

- hiccup was a screen play late in the game that went for 33 yards and set up the Bengals’ go-ahead field goal. Edmunds was the last line of defense and was gobbled up by a blocker. 

And to think that Sal Maiorana wrote a lengthy piece yesterday stating the exact opposite. That Edmunds has appeared lost & out of place & been invisible out there & on film.

Of course it was Sal saying those things :P

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Paraphrasing —

-trusted his eyes this week more in the run game. Fired into the running lane. Forced the RB to choose otherwise. 

-was also a monster in the open field

—routinely took away space in pass coverage, when playing man-to-man and zone.

-speed and athleticism to get to the edges and continued to force the runner out wide.

- hiccup was a screen play late in the game that went for 33 yards and set up the Bengals’ go-ahead field goal. Edmunds was the last line of defense and was gobbled up by a blocker. 

If I’m not mistaken this is a complete 180 from what I’ve read about him from other outlets. Correct? 

Ill be be honest I can’t follow things as well when I’m there live than I can when at home, so I couldn’t tell you how he played. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

It was really interesting to see the evidence of Johnson getting pinned inside multiple times and being exposed losing contain.  Hopefully that will be something that gets remedied immediately.

10 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

And to think that Sal Maiorana wrote a lengthy piece yesterday stating the exact opposite. That Edmunds has appeared lost & out of place & been invisible out there & on film.

Of course it was Sal saying those things :P

Thats why I was expressing skepticism in the “Sal thread” on here. I don’t get the sense he knows what to look for. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, DJB said:

Ford does seem more like a natural fit at guard. I think we need to keep him there and let him develop rather than going back and forth between tackle and guard

I don't think he'll ever have the athleticism to play Tackle in this league.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Bills commit to him learning to play LG this entire offseason and see if he can develop into our next Ruben Brown.

Building a three-headed monster on the interior of the OLine is the best way to enable Josh Allen to fulfill his potential at QB; if that boy can set his feet and consistently have a platform to work from, he could be a monster out there.

• Like (+1) 5

11 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

If I’m not mistaken this is a complete 180 from what I’ve read about him from other outlets. Correct? 

Ill be be honest I can’t follow things as well when I’m there live than I can when at home, so I couldn’t tell you how he played. 

Last week, Joe B said he did not do well vs the run. So this is an improvement from that aspect. He says he thought cincy targeted him based on the film from the Giants game but he rebounded nicely. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I think Josh’s average release time gets skewed by some of his scrambles. For instance, there was one play where he held it for eight seconds!!!

Great observation!!!!! Most of these data and analytics guys have likely never taken elementary stats, much less an advanced stats course. So the tend to report these kinds of numbers without any discussion of the impact outliers have on skew the average. Maybe report the median? Any kid in an intro to stats class will tell you the median is often more telling than the average as it's susceptible to outliers in the data.

Correct. But that isn’t always a positive. Allen has us some issues with decision making, but he’s getting better. 

19 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Thats why I was expressing skepticism in the “Sal thread” on here. I don’t get the sense he knows what to look for. 

Yeah while reading the article i got the same sense that Sal knows that too, since he made so many references of snaps & plays, just to give evidence to support his view. Like it was a court case or something. On one hand its good to list the source plays, but on the other, those mean nothing unless u know what Edmunds was supposed to be doing on that play & if u know what to look for while watching film.

To me i see Edmunds is still learning & growing into his role. I also see our coach having the confidence in him, to give him so many snaps, every defensive snap so far if Sal is to be believed. If Coach trusts Edmunds enough to do that, he must be doing what he's supposed to imo. And we're 3-0 & we have the best D in the league.

Edited by brianthomas
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

I'm not posting this to bash Joe B but I think credibility for knowing how to look at film matters.  Just saying you looked at film is still dependent on ones ability to translate what they're seeing.  Making the statement Josh Allen holding on to the ball for an average of 2.94 seconds as a "proclivity" (ridiculous),  tested the Bills offensive line every possession is pretty absurd.  What if it results in a 25 yard pass or he's properly going through his progressions or no one is open?  

On that comment it's hard for me to take him seriously.   Maybe there's more substance/context in the article because I don't subscribe to The Athletic. 

Joe B. has a “proclivity” to say things like “Allen was really good” or “Beasley was super consistent”. He loves the generalities. I skim his stuff. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Feliciano may have actually beaten him out at RG...  but if he has to miss any time with the neck thing good to know ford playing well 

I think Feliciano is great but I think Ford has more "upside"(God, I hate that word, lol). Ford imo is more physically gifted but Feliciano has way more grit. By studying under Feliciano ford will learn a lot. He is our starting guard for the next several years(but maybe starting in two)....

8 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Joe B. has a “proclivity” to say things like “Allen was really good” or “Beasley was super consistent”. He loves the generalities. I skim his stuff. 

Who do you like to read? I think the Athletic is par none. They do a very thorough and in depth analysis in my opinion. Any podcasts you or anyone else on the board might recommend? Thanks.

3 minutes ago, umang_a_desai said:

Who do you like to read? I think the Athletic is par none. They do a very thorough and in depth analysis in my opinion. Any podcasts you or anyone else on the board might recommend? Thanks.

Sal. Greg Cosell. Cover 1. Sirius XM NFL channel are very informative. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Sal. Greg Cosell. Cover 1. Sirius XM NFL channel are very informative. 

Does Sal have a new podcast? If so, what'a it called? Haven't come across it. Used to watch his live stream back when he was in florida, lol. BTW lot of respect for Cosell.

Edited by umang_a_desai

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I remember thinking that play was going to get called ineligible man downfield for the guy who blocked Edmunds...would love to see a replay

11 minutes ago, umang_a_desai said:

Does Sal have a new podcast? If so, what'a it called? Haven't come across it. Used to watch his live stream back when he was in florida, lol. BTW lot of respect for Cosell.

Best podcast imo is Joe Marino/ Locked on Bills. He’s a Bills fan but objective. Great with analysis imo. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1