You play coordinator. What's your game plan for Sunday?

billsbackto81

From what I have seen, the Patriots are bringing 5 or 6 guys on the rush. We have to catch that rush in over pursuit and make them pay; so this means designed roll outs to move the pocket, the misdirection and fake misdirection plays, some draws to Gore and Singletary, and some slants by our TEs or WRs in motion. Enough to force them to hesitate and read before they react.

Our o-line is going to have to play its best game yet, and Allen is going to need to take care of the ball - more so than they have done in games to date. Dawkins has fallen asleep a few times on late blitzing CBs and Safeties coming up into the slot and Belichick will not miss the success those corner blitzes have had getting to Josh's blind side cleanly. Dawkins needs to play disciplined and before he turns to help his interior line mates, needs to make sure his pass-pro responsibilities on the outside are taken care of.

Bill plays the tendencies and he is going to do everything he can to force Allen into his hot read, but make sure he takes that hot read away. Perhaps I would start the game with the I formation with Gore in the backfield - completely predictably safe. Gore flea-flicker to Knox on the jet sweep and just let him plow Gilmore. This sets up the flea-flicker later for Josh to throw to a releasing Knox or Brown whomever is open later when Josh is not so amped up that he throws it over the cross bars. Just a twist on that sweep to Knox last week.

Defensively, it is all about disrupting the timing. D-line has to get their hands up, and our secondary has to jam hard at the line and play press to take the short stuff away. Many defenses get caught by NEs rub plays as they try to follow the late motion that NE employs. We have to do something different like stick with our man coverage, but use man assignments in a shallow zone so our d-backs and safeties are not caught trying to follow receivers East/West across the field as that is where Edelmen and others will post up and create the interference needed to buy those late motion receivers the space they need to take those 4-5 yard hits 10 or more yards.

They execute - these will be our toughest games this year....as expected. Score up or down our team has to stay level and keep executing their game for 70 minutes. I know games are 60 minutes long, but if you think about it being a 70 minute effort you have a bit left in the tank for that last drive or defensive stand. No lulls, no sitting on leads, just like a pack of dogs keep after them and keep the pedal to the metal till the fat lady is done singing and NE is sent packing with a "L".

Go Bills!

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Manther said:

Totally agree.  He doesn't like playing physical and it can help take him off his game.

If that happens Gilmore will probably dive at Knox's feet and miss to ensure he doesn't get hurt.

Gilmore doesnt like playing physical? When was the last time you watched him play? He is very physical?  Man sometimes I think other than 10 people on this board dont watch other teams besides the bills.

22 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Gilmore doesnt like playing physical? When was the last time you watched him play? He is very physical?  Man sometimes I think other than 10 people on this board dont watch other teams besides the bills.

Huh?  You had said previously that you came here for "good football talk" because the fans were so knowledgeable.

No worries. I knew you weren't truthin' on that.

20 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

When he played for the Bills he injured his wrist and groin, and when playing in Marrone and Swartz defenses he was asked to come up and play the run a lot and he would shy away from tackles.

It was a thing. Perhaps he has shed that label in NE, but I do not mind testing that against TEs and RBs. 

• Like (+1) 1

I say show them that you came to play. On our first offensive drive, line up 4 or 5 wide at some point, send everyone on verticals and take a shot with the one with the best matchup and see what happens. Allen has a huge arm and can throw it 80 yards easily. We can be at our own 30 and he can fire it to the endzone. If it gets picked at like the 5 yard line, who cares? They would have 95 yards to get a TD. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Throw at Gilmore. I love Gilmore and he's always in position but he has poor ball skills. This is a game for contested catches, there won't be a lot open. I just don't know if we have a WR that can catch contested passes.

Defense must give Brady short stuff. Make them go on 10 play drives. They will and that's fine. Hopefully penalties and turnovers are on our side. Make the game boring.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

Try and take a number of deep shots. Its going to be tough relying on converting 3 or 4 3rd downs to go 80 yards for a TD on 10 plays against the Pats D...easier to get half or more on a single play.

Edited by matter2003

2 hours ago, Chris66 said:

I wouldn't consider Gilmore holding as being physical... maybe burrowing under the turf is being physical these days ... If Frank Gore is running towards him, Gilmore will go fetal.

• Haha (+1) 1

-We will have a couple chances to go deep, especially on play action. We’ve all seen Gilmore get beat deep.

-Roll josh out and either run or short pass over pursuit.

-probably won’t be many passes in the middle for us. Linebackers will clog the middle. Work the outside. Double moves on Gilmore.

-they wont blitz a lot but their 4 man rush will be trying to contain Josh to the pocket and force him to throw or get sacked. Collins will come on delayed blitzes , pass to TE or go deep as the safety will come down.

-Hit Tom Brady hard, just take a penalty or something but he has to feel it.

-STOP THE RUN AT ALL COST. These guys always have timely 10-15 yard runs against us

Pats like to play man on the back end.  Cole Beasley, Dawson Knox and Motor should eat all day.   Nickel and dining them should work, since the Pats will most likely bring extra pressure because the Bills o-line has struggled with that to a degree.  Basically, do what the Pats do to everybody.  Roll out Josh as well to move the pocket away from that pressure.  Get that hat run game out on the edge too.

11 hours ago, Chris66 said:

He didn't smile on draft night. So people around here have hated him since. 

17 hours ago, Chris66 said:

I honestly have not watched him since he was on the Bills or played against the Bills.

Maybe I misspoke, and confused tackling and physical play.

I recall him being a terrible tackler and looked scared to tackle. 

24 minutes ago, Manther said:

I honestly have not watched him since he was on the Bills or played against the Bills.

Maybe I misspoke, and confused tackling and physical play.

I recall him being a terrible tackler and looked scared to tackle. 

Gilmore used to tackle with his shoulder and sometimes miss. But he also would sometimes demolish guys.