You play coordinator. What's your game plan for Sunday?

billsbackto81

I’d like to see the offense continuing to spread out the defense and force the defense of the pats into nickel schemes to help w the rush the pats most likely want to utilize  vs josh

On defense would like to see them open up with their normal defense but as the game progresses blitz a bit more.  They trust their front four to get the pressure but just feel they will need to bring middle pressure a bit more vs the pats

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So the Giants did not blitz much at all in those two Superbowls. They got there with 4 but they focused on attacking the middle of the pocket, didn't let Brady step up and forced him, if trying to escape, to flush out. As for the Eagles as a model..... well they hardly stopped the Pats at all. They just outscored them. 

The point on time is that Brady gets it out so quick your blitzers don't have chance to get there and all sending them does is leave you short handed. No Quarterback understands his hots as well as Brady. He sees someone coming he knows instantly what area they are vacating and puts the ball there. 

I am not saying you never blitz him but it has to be very occasional and very well targeted. We had blitz heavy game plans against Brady with Pettine as our DC and a couple of times under Rex. It feels like you are still getting no pressure because the ball is still gone long before they get there. McDermott has actually had reasonably good success against Brady to this point. The problem in those games has been our inability to stop the run. 

Well, and an inability to score. Derek Anderson and TT weren’t able to do anything.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

I’d like to see the offense continuing to spread out the defense and force the defense of the pats into nickel schemes to help w the rush the pats most likely want to utilize  vs josh

On defense would like to see them open up with their normal defense but as the game progresses blitz a bit more.  They trust their front four to get the pressure but just feel they will need to bring middle pressure a bit more vs the pats

Pats base defense is nickel.

Two downlinemen ( Shelton, Butler) 4 linebackers ( collins hightower Bentley ,Van Noy). Safties Chung McCourty dbs Gilmore Jackson McCourty. On 3rd and long Bennet replaces Shelton. Chung replaces Bentley and Harmon takes Chung safety spot.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/24/2019 at 6:06 PM, Just Jack said:

My only plan is for the defense. The entire first half, blitz. Pound Brady into the ground. Don’t worry if he has the ball or not. Don’t worry how all the penalties will let them get right down the field and score. Just keep pounding Brady so every snap he’s wondering if he’ll survive the next hit. 

I love it. You sound just like Chuck Bednarick!

BillsBackto81, I like point#2 for the D. Brady is way less effective when he has to move away from the pass rush, let alone getting hit while throwing. He doesn't

throw well while running from people either. His efficiency goes way down when confronted by these situations. I know it's hard to do because he's usually

throwing the ball in 2 to 21/2 seconds.                    Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

When the Broncos dismantled the Pats in the 2015 playoffs, they rarely blitzed. 

Philly sent lots of blitzes in the Super Bowl and Brady had 500 yards and 3 TD’s. They put up 33 points. So yeah blitzing didn’t work that game lol.

my memory may be bad, but who won that game?

Edited by billsredneck1

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

So the Giants did not blitz much at all in those two Superbowls. They got there with 4 but they focused on attacking the middle of the pocket, didn't let Brady step up and forced him, if trying to escape, to flush out. As for the Eagles as a model..... well they hardly stopped the Pats at all. They just outscored them. 

The point on time is that Brady gets it out so quick your blitzers don't have chance to get there and all sending them does is leave you short handed. No Quarterback understands his hots as well as Brady. He sees someone coming he knows instantly what area they are vacating and puts the ball there. 

I am not saying you never blitz him but it has to be very occasional and very well targeted. We had blitz heavy game plans against Brady with Pettine as our DC and a couple of times under Rex. It feels like you are still getting no pressure because the ball is still gone long before they get there. McDermott has actually had reasonably good success against Brady to this point. The problem in those games has been our inability to stop the run. 

whatever...what we have been doing for 20 yrs. hasn't worked. now we have the guys to lay the wood to brady and it needs to be done if we want a win.  i'm so sick of coaches being afraid to send pressure and watching tom tie his shoes and then throw a pass.  we have to open a can of whoopass plain and simple. a conservative rush 4 and hope to cover is gonna get us another beatdown. i don't know why people can't understand that if you do what you have always done......

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

The team that scored 40+ points. Are you seriously arguing the Eagles won because they blitzed and stopped Brady?

Lol. That Eagle blitz package allowed a 40 year old QB throw for over 500 yards. But, they did win.... thanks to a strip sack TO on the final drive. I would blitz TB on Sunday but you have to pick your spots. To me an occasional blitz on 2nd and long is good. If you can get home you can force a 3rd and longer and keep everything in front of you and get off the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

For those who keep saying deep ball, you're nuts. That is not our game and as big as Josh's arm is his deep ball has not been accurate.

If we go that route expect 5 turnovers.

That doesn't mean we should never go deep, just means that is not the plan.

On 9/24/2019 at 6:38 PM, MJS said:

That's why you use press coverage. To take away the short timing routes and force Brady to hold on to the ball until someone gets open.

that's the only way we win.

if Brady does catch and release we're done.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/24/2019 at 6:54 PM, Sherlock Holmes said:

Immediately talk the Panthers into tanking and giving us Kuechly and McCaffrey. Give the ball to McCaffe 50 times between passes and rushing in our fancy RPO offense with Knox also. Have Kuechly murder Brady on 1st drive. Feed Beasley all day on route to 15 TD passes from Allen to go with his 5 rushing TDs

After evey 1st down I cup somebodys ball sack

id take them regardless of the patriots game.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The thing OCs consider is that they'll have a plan.  Know how the defense will adjust.  Then counter that adjustment.

Its actually what we haven't done well with this year.  Daboll has come out with great game plans (even the Jets game but the TOs) but then we get slowed down, and it's taken some late heroics to pull it out or hold on.  

My plan would be start with 4 wide sets and let Josh go to work.  Expect the 1 coverage BB loves and his blitzes.  Expect lots of Cole Beasley.  Short quick stuff.  

The Patriots had the best D in the league last year vs 11 personnel.  That's why the Rams had a nightmare matchup with them and they didn't adjust.  

The Pats have problems with 2 TE looks.  Tommy Sweeney and Knox need to be factors here.  This should be an in game adjustment.  You can max protect easier here and take better deep shots.

And when it breaks down, let Josh run.

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/25/2019 at 4:50 AM, GunnerBill said:

He carves everyone up. But his numbers against the blitz are extraordinary.

The book on beating Brady is out and has been for years. You need to get pressure with 4 and you need to get it up the middle. Easier said than done but that is the way..... the blitz should be used very, very sparingly. 

Stunts and twists.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

whatever...what we have been doing for 20 yrs. hasn't worked. now we have the guys to lay the wood to brady and it needs to be done if we want a win.  i'm so sick of coaches being afraid to send pressure and watching tom tie his shoes and then throw a pass.  we have to open a can of whoopass plain and simple. a conservative rush 4 and hope to cover is gonna get us another beatdown. i don't know why people can't understand that if you do what you have always done......

Well you have to identify the bit of the thing you have always done that has been the problem. I get it. When fans see a QB not getting hit they scream "why don't we blitz?" I have seen them do it in game day threads even after we have blitzed on a play. Brady gets the ball out fast. Blitzing will not "lay the wood" it will just leave you a man short in coverage and you can bet your last dollar Brady will know exactly where you are short and find his guy in that zone. 

• Like (+1) 1

On offense we have to control the clock, keep Brady off the field. We have to run all over them if we have any sort of chance to win. On defense etting to brady or at least pressure him all game to make bad throws, he's shown plenty of times against Atlanta, Giants twice and Seattle when he's rushed he is off target.

• Like (+1) 1