You play coordinator. What's your game plan for Sunday?

billsbackto81

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Honestly all the people talking about blitzing Brady must not have been watching him these past 18 years. 

Precisely. Have to get it down with 4 man rushes and the occasional 5th man. They should be focusing on getting pressure up the middle instead of on the edges. Lots of stunts.

They should also be sending linebackers in on blitzes, but dropping ends into coverage occasionally. I'm also a big fan of corner blitzes, but maybe not against the Pats who get the ball out so fast.

• Like (+1) 2

The element of surprise.

If you look at NEs history, it often takes trickery to beat them. 

Miami unveiled the wildcat on them.

Philly and the greatest Superbowl ever was full of trickery and aggressive playcalling.

Look for trick plays, misdirection, and long balls. 4/5 of them. 

I expect Daboll to be aggressive, and I think it will pay off. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Ok, knowing what is in front of you for Sunday what's your Offensive and Defensive strategy?

Patriots are missing Wynn and Andrews on the O line. TB is the definition of pocket passer. AB is gone and Edelman is hurt. Burkhead is the #1 RB because Michel has been crap. Their D is good but like us they haven't exactly played any powerhouses. 

My take Offensively:

1. Take deep shots. Their DBs are physical and aggressive and often get away with holding. Force their hand and encourage down field contact. PI is now reviewable. 

2. Make a big effort on protecting Josh in pass protection. I don't care what anyone says, our O line has not been good. Just because we got away with their play against crappy teams doesn't hold water this week.

3. If Motor is available, take the training wheels off and unleash him. 20 touches minimum.

4. Utilize more 2 TE sets. Is Kroft ready? Smith, Knox and Sweeney. The extra protection helps and gives Josh an outlet if things break down.

5. Screw conservative play calling. Unless we're up two scores with 5 minutes left play to win and not to lose.

Defensively:

1. Blitz more, especially on 2nd and long situations. Blitzing on 3rd is IMO too risky against Brady who expects it and kills it.

2. Consistent pass rush. I know, I know it's not the priority of our defensive scheme but if you don't make Brady uncomfortable you have no chance. He won't have his usual safety blankets so bring the heat and force mistakes.

3. Like on Offense, screw conservative play. Do not sit back and allow them momentum and a chance to drive. 

What say you?

Man, I wish our coordinators thought of “protecting the QB” and “consistently rushing the passer.”

32 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Man, I wish our coordinators thought of “protecting the QB” and “consistently rushing the passer.”

Sarcasm? Not sure.

Maybe you're saying these things mentioned are every game objectives for every football team.  If so, duh! But if you've been watching, Josh has been scrambling and under pressure a lot. Ford and Dawkins have been getting blown up constantly. On defense I under stand we are trying to get home with 4 linemen, but their not getting home. At least not when the QB is releasing within 3-4 seconds. Any longer than sure, they clean up. My point is this practice will not be good enough against the Pats.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Change it up completely. Install a system by which Belichick's cheating can be countered. They still have to be cheating and we need to be prepared to combat it.

And also be prepared to change the system again at halftime to foil Belichick’s adjustments 

...gonna leave the specifics to the TBD Astute.......so generically (Cliff Notes style)............

1. Defense-Frazier needs to have Alternate Plans B, C & D ready-Belichick is THE master of adjustments

2 Offense-Daboll; see #1

3. McDermott- two words: SIXTY MINUTES;

wish I could remember the exact Pats game in the Spent Trent Edwards era; had to run out to do some Sunday shopping; had the game on the radio and the Bills were quickly up 14-0, marching down the field like Grant took Richmond; returning to the car an hour later, we were DOWN 21-14; as the late great Paul Harvey would say, " you know the REST of the story"...SMH...

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Challenge my DL to win one on one match ups consistently. Spread the field with 5 WR and go no huddle. Lock their base D out there and give Josh a look at that secondary. 

About the third drive I’m going heavy, no huddle, locking their smaller unit out there and smashing face with Frank. 

6 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

You might be right. I haven't looked up stats and QB ratings etc which I presume you have. However, from watching games vs Tommy for years and years it appears to me that teams that drop a lot of DBs in coverage and try to cover everyone go down in flames.  I've seen us do it many times.  I've seen us do it many times.  If we do that Sunday, we will lose.

I'm for trying something a little different.  I don't think we can get enough from our front 4 like the Giants did in the SB for example. Do you?

It's a timing system. Throw off their timing by any means necessary. Bump WRs at the line.  Double cover Edelman. Something like that.

If using your sure fire plan (getting heavy pressure from front 4) isn't an option.  Go for something else, not bang your head against the wall.

Coach McDermott and Coach Frazier are smart Defensive guys.  Should be fun to see what they come up with.

Really though, we gotta score some freakin' points. Like 30+ of them. 

We have to score. I agree with that. I have only seen a blitz heavy team beat Brady once. It was Rex's Jets. He repeated that gameplan in Buffalo and was sliced and diced. 

3 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Sarcasm? Not sure.

Maybe you're saying these things mentioned are every game objectives for every football team.  If so, duh! But if you've been watching, Josh has been scrambling and under pressure a lot. Ford and Dawkins have been getting blown up constantly. On defense I under stand we are trying to get home with 4 linemen, but their not getting home. At least not when the QB is releasing within 3-4 seconds. Any longer than sure, they clean up. My point is this practice will not be good enough against the Pats.

So our strategy should be, “play better.”

Have you considered contacting OBD?

belichek will have metallica master of puppets going through the headphones.  my plan is...

offense:  use nothing but 3 wide with knox and sweeney....gore or singletary single back for outlet or handoff and go 4 wide bunch formations. we gotta send guys deep and keep them out of the box. that should open up beasley and the deep shot....or the rb in the flat. they will be sending collins, van noy and or a db nonstop. we have to make them pay. classic chess match between dabol and his former boss.

defense: don't be pussies and play rush 4 cause we're scared of brady's short game.  we have hughes against newhouse with open lanes for milano. we need some trickery. kick shaq inside next to oliver...open lanes for edmunds to rush up the middle. keep trent out there and work him with lorax calling the rush schemes and lining up at the line at times.

punch the wrs in the gut at the line instead of backpeddling.

i guess what i'm looking for is a fresh coaching against these guys. what is it ?30-3 now?  it's time to sack up for the staff and players and quit the same old approach against these guys that has gotten our asses handed to us for umpteen years. swing for the fences! play like we have nothing to lose! smack tommy upside his tb12 and take the 15! just win!

this is our house!

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

We have to score. I agree with that. I have only seen a blitz heavy team beat Brady once. It was Rex's Jets. He repeated that gameplan in Buffalo and was sliced and diced. 

all we gotta do is beat 'em is once.  For now.

What do you suggest?  Do you think our DLine can get to him fast enough?  I don't.  Rolling over is not an option.

Edited by reddogblitz

8 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

So our strategy should be, “play better.”

Have you considered contacting OBD?

Cute. If you're content with beating mediocre competition so far and considering it marked improvement that's fine. We will continue to get the same disregard and disrespect everyone complains about. I want to beat the Pats!!  They're not going to playing the same conservative game plan Weeks 1-3 against NE.

Show the same wrinkle coming out like in Game  1. Quick paced pressing offense, passing often and moving the chains and keeping the opposition off balance.

Show the same resiliency  like in Game 2. After getting punched in the face on the opening drive come right back and punch harder and dominate with 3 straight TDs.

Show the same testicular fortitude like in Game 3. After dominating for the most part and then losing the lead to come right back and win when momentum is not on your side.

Combine all this Sunday and we beat the Pats. So yeah, they should "play better" or as Belicheck puts it, make adjustments.

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

all we gotta do is beat 'em is once.  For now.

What do you suggest?  Do you think our DLine can get to him fast enough?  I don't.  Rolling over is not an option.

No - I don't. But I am 100% certain that if we use a blitz heavy plan we will lose. Blitzers will not get to him fast enough. You have to pressure with 4 and you have to stunt and twist and win 1 on 1s. 

Blitzing often always seems exciting and aggressive but against Brady it is just dumb. Play our defense. Make them go 80 yards every drive which takes time off the clock. Make a few plays on 3rd down and keep them to 2 or 3 of those long drives in the game. Then when we get the ball we have to score touchdowns. The mentality has to be every drive is a touchdown drive. 

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No - I don't. But I am 100% certain that if we use a blitz heavy plan we will lose. Blitzers will not get to him fast enough. You have to pressure with 4 and you have to stunt and twist and win 1 on 1s. 

Blitzing often always seems exciting and aggressive but against Brady it is just dumb. Play our defense. Make them go 80 yards every drive which takes time off the clock. Make a few plays on 3rd down and keep them to 2 or 3 of those long drives in the game. Then when we get the ball we have to score touchdowns. The mentality has to be every drive is a touchdown drive. 

Yep. The dumbest thing teams do against Brady and the Pats is be down 17-10 and start blitzing like crazy. Then in a blink of an eye, it’s 31-10. 

9 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Cute. If you're content with beating mediocre competition so far and considering it marked improvement that's fine. We will continue to get the same disregard and disrespect everyone complains about. I want to beat the Pats!!  They're not going to playing the same conservative game plan Weeks 1-3 against NE.

Show the same wrinkle coming out like in Game  1. Quick paced pressing offense, passing often and moving the chains and keeping the opposition off balance.

Show the same resiliency  like in Game 2. After getting punched in the face on the opening drive come right back and punch harder and dominate with 3 straight TDs.

Show the same testicular fortitude like in Game 3. After dominating for the most part and then losing the lead to come right back and win when momentum is not on your side.

Combine all this Sunday and we beat the Pats. So yeah, they should "play better" or as Belicheck puts it, make adjustments.

I guess my point was coordinators game plans don’t consist of “show fortitude and resiliency.” 

15 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Challenge my DL to win one on one match ups consistently. Spread the field with 5 WR and go no huddle. Lock their base D out there and give Josh a look at that secondary. 

About the third drive I’m going heavy, no huddle, locking their smaller unit out there and smashing face with Frank. 

i agree with this plan, but i'd like to add that we need to ir or come to an injury settlement with kroft and quit screwing up a roster spot. we need to incorporate duke williams.

gilmore will be on brown all day. foster has a slight height advantage on devin mccourty (5' 10"). both safeties are 5'11".  we need the high point , big radius guy especially in the redzone.

with collins trying to cover beasley and when they rush van noy, that's the time for singletary and gore.  we can simply out number them and i believe that's what we need to do.

and for those guys who are afraid of blitzing tell me this....has not blitzing ever worked? 30-3?  philly may have had cox, but they constantly sent others. the giants also....

not to mention marshal newhouse is starting at Lt and they have a backup center. rushing 4 is  wasting opportunity.

22 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Yep. The dumbest thing teams do against Brady and the Pats is be down 17-10 and start blitzing like crazy. Then in a blink of an eye, it’s 31-10. 

i'd like an example of this because for years i've been pulling my hair out because they've stubbornly refused to blitz.

our 2ndary is good enough to cover and make brady take an extra 2 seconds to look for someone. why not take advantage of that?

besides, why not get aggressive?   what does giving brady 3 or more seconds gonna do for us? this is a  "we have nothing to lose" game.

time to pull out all the stops.

instead, historically we don't get pressure and i don't care how good you are in coverage, someone's gonna come open. this is exactly what they are going to do to us. they're gonna play man coverage and blitz.

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i agree with this plan, but i'd like to add that we need to ir or come to an injury settlement with kroft and quit screwing up a roster spot. we need to incorporate duke williams.

gilmore will be on brown all day. foster has a slight height advantage on devin mccourty (5' 10"). both safeties are 5'11".  we need the high point , big radius guy especially in the redzone.

with collins trying to cover beasley and when they rush van noy, that's the time for singletary and gore.  we can simply out number them and i believe that's what we need to do.

and for those guys who are afraid of blitzing tell me this....has not blitzing ever worked? 30-3?  philly may have had cox, but they constantly sent others. the giants also....

not to mention marshal newhouse is starting at Lt and they have a backup center. rushing 4 is  wasting opportunity.

i'd like an example of this because for years i've been pulling my hair out because they've stubbornly refused to blitz.

When the Broncos dismantled the Pats in the 2015 playoffs, they rarely blitzed. 

Philly sent lots of blitzes in the Super Bowl and Brady had 500 yards and 3 TD’s. They put up 33 points. So yeah blitzing didn’t work that game lol.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

our 2ndary is good enough to cover and make brady take an extra 2 seconds to look for someone. why not take advantage of that?

So the Giants did not blitz much at all in those two Superbowls. They got there with 4 but they focused on attacking the middle of the pocket, didn't let Brady step up and forced him, if trying to escape, to flush out. As for the Eagles as a model..... well they hardly stopped the Pats at all. They just outscored them. 

The point on time is that Brady gets it out so quick your blitzers don't have chance to get there and all sending them does is leave you short handed. No Quarterback understands his hots as well as Brady. He sees someone coming he knows instantly what area they are vacating and puts the ball there. 

I am not saying you never blitz him but it has to be very occasional and very well targeted. We had blitz heavy game plans against Brady with Pettine as our DC and a couple of times under Rex. It feels like you are still getting no pressure because the ball is still gone long before they get there. McDermott has actually had reasonably good success against Brady to this point. The problem in those games has been our inability to stop the run. 

Edited by GunnerBill