You play coordinator. What's your game plan for Sunday?

billsbackto81

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

honestly I see him carve up teams that don't blitz him in almost every game I watch.

He carves everyone up. But his numbers against the blitz are extraordinary.

The book on beating Brady is out and has been for years. You need to get pressure with 4 and you need to get it up the middle. Easier said than done but that is the way..... the blitz should be used very, very sparingly. 

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The book on beating Brady is out and has been for years. You need to get pressure with 4 and you need to get it up the middle. Easier said than done but that is the way..... the blitz should be used very, very sparingly. 

Like 2nd and long.?

Thoughts on defending the Patriots:

1. At this time, NE does not have a running game.

2. They are going to pass. A lot.

3. Brady is going to get the ball out in milliseconds, because he figures it out pre-snap.

So:

Don't bring heat. Play heavy pass coverage and mix it up. Make the Patriots go all the way down the field. You can hold them under 20.

Again... Don't blitz! Against Brady, it's a waste of defenders. You're not going to get there on time.

Thoughts on attacking the Patriots:

Don't get cute. Play straightforward ball-control football. Stay ahead of the chains, give the young quarterback manageable third downs, and hope he uncorks a couple of big plays.

If you come out trying to showcase Allen throwing the ball in this game, it's going to be lost quickly. He's a great player, but he's not far enough in his development to be "unleashed" as a passer against a Belichick defense.

Overall:

Right now, the Bills are the healthier, more talented team overall heading into this matchup. Unfortunately, that advantage does not extend to QB and coaching. The game result will depend on how far the Bills have come in those two areas.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Thoughts on defending the Patriots:

1. At this time, NE does not have a running game.

2. They are going to pass. A lot.

3. Brady is going to get the ball out in milliseconds, because he figures it out pre-snap.

So:

Don't bring heat. Play heavy pass coverage and mix it up. Make the Patriots go all the way down the field. You can hold them under 20.

Again... Don't blitz! Against Brady, it's a waste of defenders. You're not going to get there on time.

Thoughts on attacking the Patriots:

Don't get cute. Play straightforward ball-control football. Stay ahead of the chains, give the young quarterback manageable third downs, and hope he uncorks a couple of big plays.

If you come out trying to showcase Allen throwing the ball in this game, it's going to be lost quickly. He's a great player, but he's not far enough in his development to be "unleashed" as a passer against a Belichick defense.

Overall:

Right now, the Bills are the healthier, more talented team overall heading into this matchup. Unfortunately, that advantage does not extend to QB and coaching. The game result will depend on how far the Bills have come in those two areas.

I agree with your gameplan 100%. This is someone who has actually watched the Patriots. As for the Bills being more talented..... not sure.... healthier certainly, but that NE defense is for real. 

• Like (+1) 1

New plays and sets you haven't run before on both sides of the ball for every quarter of the game.  If you approach a Patriots game with your same script, formations, etc. you will lose. 

They prey on "process" guys like McDermott on a tactical level.  

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is maddening that just as the Bills have their most competitive team for a good while the Pats arrive here with their most formidable defense in a decade. There are plenty of Pats teams over the last 10 years that I would take this Bills team to beat at home. Sadly I am not sure the 2019 Patriots is one of them.

I agree completely, I thought the same thing. WHY THIS TIME do they have to have a dominant D? 

HOWEVER, I am also thinking this dominant D is so dominant because they haven't played any real competition yet. So we will see on Sunday just how good they are. Yes Billy boy is a defensive wizard, and they have some talent....but they still played the Steelers, Dolphins and Jets, with all of their problems...

Lots of deep shots, and encourage Allen to break free instead of staying in the pocket. Not saying every play, but there have been times where it's appeared it's been so coached  into him to keep his eyes downfield that he doesn't take off when he should. Do something they haven't put on film yet to keep NE guessing.

I think it's to stick what we've been doing: A lot of 5 wide, crossing routes, using our speed to get our receivers in space. I don't think you change much.

The one thing we HAVE to do in order to win is negate the 1 or 2 quarters of non-sense and conservative play calling. In each of our first three games, there has been a quarter or two where we either took our foot off the gas, play calling changed, or we got too comfortable. 

ok, ok. One more. We can't keep losing the field position game. We have to have sustained drives. Starting field position will be huge in this game.

33 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

I agree completely, I thought the same thing. WHY THIS TIME do they have to have a dominant D? 

HOWEVER, I am also thinking this dominant D is so dominant because they haven't played any real competition yet. So we will see on Sunday just how good they are. Yes Billy boy is a defensive wizard, and they have some talent....but they still played the Steelers, Dolphins and Jets, with all of their problems...

That is true but they are returning 10 of the 11 starters that shut out Mahomes for a half and the boy genius and Goff in the Superbowl. This defensive dominance stretches back beyond this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

DO NOT LET YELDON ON THE FIELD, dude is a turn over machine. Keep his ass on the sidelines better yet cut him and bring someone else in. 

The Bills need to control the game, eat the clock up and pound the ball down NE throat, they need to play mistake free on both sides of the ball and control 3rd downs. 

If Brady stands back there and has time it's going to be a long day. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

If they spy Josh then there will be some good matchups for the Bills. I think you continue to work the short  intermediate game and scheme the long ball when you catch them creeping up to stop us moving the ball while they commit players to watching our backfield.

On Defense if we can disguise blitzes you throw those in their because letting Brady get comfortable is suicide. If we can't disguise them well Brady will pick us a part. Have ot get pressure.

Our Coverage teams have to play their ace game.....   can't give any receiver a cushion, that never works against Brady

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

You might be right. I haven't looked up stats and QB ratings etc which I presume you have. However, from watching games vs Tommy for years and years it appears to me that teams that drop a lot of DBs in coverage and try to cover everyone go down in flames.  I've seen us do it many times.  I've seen us do it many times.  If we do that Sunday, we will lose.

I'm for trying something a little different.  I don't think we can get enough from our front 4 like the Giants did in the SB for example. Do you?

It's a timing system. Throw off their timing by any means necessary. Bump WRs at the line.  Double cover Edelman. Something like that.

If using your sure fire plan (getting heavy pressure from front 4) isn't an option.  Go for something else, not bang your head against the wall.

Coach McDermott and Coach Frazier are smart Defensive guys.  Should be fun to see what they come up with.

Really though, we gotta score some freakin' points. Like 30+ of them. 

Offense: Use knox and beasely to work the middle of the field to challenge their LBs/Safeties in coverage. It's honestly on this offense to score 24+ pts. We do that I think we have a shot. 

Defense: If our CB's could play man which I'm not sure all/any of them can or could do, that is something I'd throw in from time to time. It's all going to be on the front 4 to get consistent pressure without needing Frazier/McD to dial up blitzes. Brady kills zone when he was time. 

Keep the ball as long as possible and score TDs. The key to beating the Patriots is avoiding from Brady outscoring you and/or beating you with a last minute drive. I know people will look at the Eagles Super Bowl win but that to me was a fluke and/or Belichick being dumb in not playing Malcolm Butler. 

18 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

My D game plan:

1. Double cover and jam Edelman at the line.  Take away their best threat  ala BB.
  2. Every so often do a full house max reddogblitz on Tommy. 
  3. Hit Tommy often even late if you have to.  It'd be worth the 15 yards to knock him down a few times.
  4. Sure Tommy may burn us a few times, but he gets really erratic and mad when hit often.  
  5. Disrupt their timing.  It's all timing for them.

I was going to say the things in bold. Hit Edelman hard (but clean) as soon as the play starts. Disrupt his timing and remind him that his ribs are sore. Every time.

• Like (+1) 1