You play coordinator. What's your game plan for Sunday?

billsbackto81

Defensively, I’d play the pats* exactly like they played Falk and the jests on Sunday. Stack the box, take away the run game and short middle of the field. Make tom* beat you with long and intermediate throws outside the numbers. He was surprisingly inaccurate in the jests game when he had to drive the ball. I do not care what anyone says, my eyes tell me that his arm is not what it was.

On offense, I think you turn Josh loose. PASS PASS PASS. Take some deep shots to open up the intermediate throws Allen seems to thrive on. Keep the misdirection and sweeps going. Put the ball in his hands and tell him to take the crown from the evil ones. Let him play hero ball, hell with it. No conservative game plan. Go beat their asses Josh. 

Their LBs are very good, so get as many as you can off the field.  Go 5 wide most of the game.  Work mostly in the intermediate and deep parts of the field.  Force NE to chase the WRs all over the place and let Josh use his discretion as to when to take off.  If he can get 5-10 yards by running because we're pushing routes deeper, let him.  If you can force the Pats* into nickle and dime coverage most of the game, that's a good thing.  If the Pats* counter and go zone, Beasley will find those soft spots.  You want to run the ball occasionally, fine.  Motion in a WR and give him the ball.  I am a firm believer you have to do something completely unconventional when you have a good opponent.  Do something they are not expecting.  Also, every possession, take as much time off the clock as possible.  Run the play clock down most of the way every snap, shorten the game and limit the amount of possessions the Pats* get on offense.

Spreading out the entire field will make things easier on Allen.  I trust him enough to know when he can take off, but make no mistake about it, if the Bills are going to win this game, it's because Allen is great.  Our running game is not going to get it done.  We'll probably need 27+ to win, so swing for the fences and see what happens.

On defense, sell out to get pressure up the middle and have guys get their hands up on every play to try and bat as many of those quick passes as possible.  Play extremely tight coverage and dare them to beat you deep and hope that the pressure can get there in time. Also, if you have a free run at Brady, take it.  Deal with a penalty if necessary, but a good shot or 2 to the ribs will be worth the 15 yards.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Just Jack said:

My only plan is for the defense. The entire first half, blitz. Pound Brady into the ground. Don’t worry if he has the ball or not. Don’t worry how all the penalties will let them get right down the field and score. Just keep pounding Brady so every snap he’s wondering if he’ll survive the next hit. 

Interestingly, keep hitting them and don't worry about the penalties was essentially the strategy upon which Belichick made his name.  He did it against us as a coordinator and against Manning's Colts.  He was hitting receivers more than quarterbacks...but same principle.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills need to come with the mentality that they are TIRED of losing to the Pats and will do whatever it takes to get the job done.

Pretty simple.

Until they come in with the mindset that they will smack the Pats in the mouth, they might as well not waste everyone's time and not show up.

Bills teams of the past against the Pats have folded like cheap suits when the first bad thing went wrong against them (other than the Fitzmagic game).

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

My D game plan:

1. Double cover and jam Edelman at the line.  Take away their best threat  ala BB.
  2. Every so often do a full house max reddogblitz on Tommy. 
  3. Hit Tommy often even late if you have to.  It'd be worth the 15 yards to knock him down a few times.
  4. Sure Tommy may burn us a few times, but he gets really erratic and mad when hit often.  
  5. Disrupt their timing.  It's all timing for them.

I would extend the take a penalty mentality to Edelman for the same reasons you cited; timing. Knock him around a bit, get him out of HIS rhythm and you may get the same effect as knocking Brady down a liiiiiiiitle late.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, skibum said:

Offense: Lots of run plays. Screens and check-downs. Dink and dunk and just move the chains, as slowly as humanly possible. Whatever it takes to keep the Pat's offense off the field

Defense: I got nothing. I would say 'get after Brady', but the so-far sub-par pass rush has me thinking this won't fly. 

At least there's no Gronk?

I like McDermott a lot, but Belichick outcoaches him every single time. The 3rd quarter is going to be a bloodbath.

I agree with basically all of this. Agreed, we have to pace the offense. But I’d favor change of pace. Find your mismatches and run no huddle as long as you can. We can stay at the line for 35 seconds at times, it’s fine. But I’d also throw in a healthy dose of quick counts. 

BB is notoriously difficult on young QBs. If we can keep them on the field, with irregular pacing, hopefully we can keep the looks pretty vanilla. Especially since I think we’ll need to put up 25+ and decision making has been tough for JA. 

3 hours ago, MJS said:

On defense, I take away the short throws and force Brady to push the ball down the field. Press coverage all day. On the line, focus all pressure up the middle, not on the edge. Lots of stunts.

On offense, I've got no clue. Maybe have lots of motions like in the first game to force the Pats into base defensive fronts? Lots of screens? Lots of RPO's? Anything to force the defense to process what they are seeing and keep them out of confusing fronts and packages. I would stay away from Gilmore. That means lots of crossing patterns to get John Brown passed off onto other defenders.

This is similar to how I like defending the Pats. Brady is going to make his plays, but if you let him be methodical he will take the ball down the field every time. We need to stop the run and the short timing throws and force Brady to hold the ball. If he gets it out in rhythm it is always a long day. Hopefully his arm has trouble with the deeper throws as the game goes on and we can take advantage of their oline. 

Offence is going to be tough, hopefully the running game can get us in favourable situations. We need to hit some timing throws to Beasley, Knox and the RBs to create some consistent first downs. Hopefully Allen can steal a few first downs with his legs. We definitely can’t have more than one turnover. The key is going to be beating Gilmore though. If we can get Foster or Brown one on one with Gilmore we need to take advantage of that. If we can hit a couple deep balls against him it will open the offence up. Foster did torch him last year but couldn’t haul it in. Gilmore has had trouble with small speed players in the past. If we can’t connect on those shots it will probably be a long day. 

The key on defense will be Neal in the big nickel. Because they are going to try to run the ball but you need ability to cover the entire field 15 from los. Don’t drop safeties deep, in fact rotate them down with a robber look. 

On offense max protect and use speed to attack middle range. Jet sweeps and bubbles to Roberts.  It’s time to see what he can do. 

Swap Edelmans toradol with estrogen and pass Gordon a tray of special brownies.

Make Ed angry  

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

If I were D coordinator I would send out the backups to repeatedly go helmet to Edelman's ribs until he crumbles.  If you have to take a few illegal contact or PI call's so be it.  They'll probably score on the opening drive anyways and this way you are giving your defense some rest with penalties instead of having the Pats chip away at them.

With Edelman out it all becomes about going at Brady's knees.  Have Star Lotulelei crash into Brady's knees with all his weight and momentum.  Time for the fat man to earn his paycheck.  Take out Brady and make Stidham be a quarterback as the kids like to say nowadays.

This is what I would do but I must admit, I have minimal NFL game planning experience.  I imagine McDermott will have a more conventional approach. 

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

2 hours ago, billspro said:

This is similar to how I like defending the Pats. Brady is going to make his plays, but if you let him be methodical he will take the ball down the field every time. We need to stop the run and the short timing throws and force Brady to hold the ball. If he gets it out in rhythm it is always a long day. Hopefully his arm has trouble with the deeper throws as the game goes on and we can take advantage of their oline. 

Offence is going to be tough, hopefully the running game can get us in favourable situations. We need to hit some timing throws to Beasley, Knox and the RBs to create some consistent first downs. Hopefully Allen can steal a few first downs with his legs. We definitely can’t have more than one turnover. The key is going to be beating Gilmore though. If we can get Foster or Brown one on one with Gilmore we need to take advantage of that. If we can hit a couple deep balls against him it will open the offence up. Foster did torch him last year but couldn’t haul it in. Gilmore has had trouble with small speed players in the past. If we can’t connect on those shots it will probably be a long day. 

It always infuriated me when we would defend the Pats by having all our corners in off coverage. They'd dink and dunk us down the field with short little throws all game long. Have to get up on the line and get physical with their receivers, force them off of the timing patterns.

• Like (+1) 2

Rush 5, jam all WRs at the line, and try to take away the inside slant. Test Brady's arm and hit if whenever legal. 

Offensively, spread things out as much as possible. Have Josh run it whenever he can do so, without absorbing a hit. Play for the deep ball. Force BB to account for Josh's running ability and arm strength.

Edited by Paulus
  • Like (+1) 1