You play coordinator. What's your game plan for Sunday?

billsbackto81

4 minutes ago, H2o said:

Have to get the running game going. Hopefully Singletary is good to go because that young man is lightening in a bottle. Work the short to intermediate passing game. Our TE's should be able to work the seams against their LB's. Our top two WR's are too quick to be covered on slants, comebacks, and outs. I expect a lot of Zone coverage with Gilmore following Brown. I think where we win, if we are to win, is in the trenches and with ball control. Whether that be by the short passing game or the running game we have to limit Brady's opportunities and keep our defense rested for the 4th. Whoever wins the TOP battle will win this game. Finally, pay the refs more money than Bob Kraft. 

Gilmore does not like getting hit (no player does but some DBs have a Neon Deion attitude) so there should be some shorter throws which allow Smoke to do an angry run thru Gilmore.

Physical. Both sides of the ball. Don't be cute. Hit them harder then they hit us. Play tough mentally and physically and let our talent outshine theirs. 

Also, blitz like hell through the A gaps. They're gonna beat us across the middle anyways, might as well put a helmet in Marcias chest every play. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 5

I have zero clue what to do offensively against this team.  You open us Josh, and Belichick is going to have a heyday against him.  You try and run the ball and Brady is going too outscore you, thankfully I’m not a coach. 

However, defensively there’s two or three things I want to see. 

First, while we’re not a heavy blitzing team, I think you need to constantly be sending pressure up the middle.  Bring stunts, twists, disguised linebacker blitz’s, and bring them often.  I think we should constantly be bringing two or three players through the A gaps. 

Second, this is part of the disguised blitzes.  We’ve seen McDermott and Frazier like to drop our defensive line into coverage from time to time.  I think we need a lot of that this game.  Every time we bring a linebacker on a blitz, drop back one of our defensive lineman into coverage.  It’s not going to confuse Brady, but if we do it well enough it’ll atleast throw him off of his rhythm a little. 

Third, only one solo high safety.  Keep everyone else on the defense within ~7-8 yards of the line of scrimmage and play the game like it’s a red zone defense all game.  Brady isn’t slowing down, but if anything is, it’s the strength in his arm.  We have a pro bowl safety in Micah Hyde, let him roam the field lined up 15-20 yards off the ball every play and hope he takes care of the deep threat.  The last time the Patriots played us, they won by running the ball right at us, right down our throat.   They beat the rest of the league with their quick passing game.  Play high intensity, fast defense and play to the sticks on every down.  If they beat us by long shots in a different style game than their usual, then so be it.  But we know how they succeed and we know how they win, now we got to sell out to stop it. 

How's Belichick going to defend the Bills and disrupt Josh?  The Bills need to counter this and take what they're given.  I think NE will put as much pressure on Josh as they can.  Allen, the WRs and TEs need to be aware of where that pressure is coming from and give Allen those quick hits and getting the YAC on that side of the ball.  RBs have to pick up those blitzes, while looking to release for the short pass and YAC.  I think Allen will have buy extra time with scrambles and all receivers down field need to find the open spots quickly.  Take advantage of the NE's aggressive play.

On D, I don't think we'll get to Brady fast enough for too many sacks.  Lineman need to get their hands up and tip some balls.

Edited by Pokebball

26 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Ok, knowing what is in front of you for Sunday what's your Offensive and Defensive strategy?

Patriots are missing Wynn and Andrews on the O line. TB is the definition of pocket passer. AB is gone and Edelman is hurt. Burkhead is the #1 RB because Michel has been crap. Their D is good but like us they haven't exactly played any powerhouses. 

My take Offensively:

1. Take deep shots. Their DBs are physical and aggressive and often get away with holding. Force their hand and encourage down field contact. PI is now reviewable. 

2. Make a big effort on protecting Josh in pass protection. I don't care what anyone says, our O line has not been good. Just because we got away with their play against crappy teams doesn't hold water this week.

3. If Motor is available, take the training wheels off and unleash him. 20 touches minimum.

4. Utilize more 2 TE sets. Is Kroft ready? Smith, Knox and Sweeney. The extra protection helps and gives Josh an outlet if things break down.

5. Screw conservative play calling. Unless we're up two scores with 5 minutes left play to win and not to lose.

Defensively:

1. Blitz more, especially on 2nd and long situations. Blitzing on 3rd is IMO too risky against Brady who expects it and kills it.

2. Consistent pass rush. I know, I know it's not the priority of our defensive scheme but if you don't make Brady uncomfortable you have no chance. He won't have his usual safety blankets so bring the heat and force mistakes.

3. Like on Offense, screw conservative play. Do not sit back and allow them momentum and a chance to drive. 

What say you?

I like the two TE sets, preferably Knox/Sweeney. Use them to attack the seams. Belichick is gonna try to take away John Brown. Either Zay or Foster need to contribute big time. I might play Siran Neal a little more to offset the RBs out of the backfield. I think Belichick is try his run game early. Need to shut it down and force Brady to throw with his banged up Oline and limited receiving threats. Let Jerry Hughes and Lorax loose.

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Brady is getting the ball out faster than ANY other QB this year so this is doubtful. The key for short throws is stopping YAC.

That's why you use press coverage. To take away the short timing routes and force Brady to hold on to the ball until someone gets open.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, H2o said:

Have to get the running game going. Hopefully Singletary is good to go because that young man is lightening in a bottle. Work the short to intermediate passing game. Our TE's should be able to work the seams against their LB's. Our top two WR's are too quick to be covered on slants, comebacks, and outs. I expect a lot of Zone coverage with Gilmore following Brown. I think where we win, if we are to win, is in the trenches and with ball control. Whether that be by the short passing game or the running game we have to limit Brady's opportunities and keep our defense rested for the 4th. Whoever wins the TOP battle will win this game. Finally, pay the refs more money than Bob Kraft. 

This is where the O line comes in. Sorry guys but IMO their better than last year but that's like being the most handsome in the burn unit. The pass protection has been sub par and has been spared due to Josh's improvisation and athleticism.

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, MJS said:

On defense, I take away the short throws and force Brady to push the ball down the field. Press coverage all day. On the line, focus all pressure up the middle, not on the edge. Lots of stunts.

On offense, I've got no clue. Maybe have lots of motions like in the first game to force the Pats into base defensive fronts? Lots of screens? Lots of RPO's? Anything to force the defense to process what they are seeing and keep them out of confusing fronts and packages. I would stay away from Gilmore. That means lots of crossing patterns to get John Brown passed off onto other defenders.

Screw Gilmore!! If I can get Gilmore on Foster 1 on 1, I'll take that battle. Advantage Foster. Gilmore has never been the greatest deep ball defender.

40 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

My only plan is for the defense. The entire first half, blitz. Pound Brady into the ground. Don’t worry if he has the ball or not. Don’t worry how all the penalties will let them get right down the field and score. Just keep pounding Brady so every snap he’s wondering if he’ll survive the next hit. 

I agree on defense. Blitz with 5 and 6 man rushes. You're blitzing not necessarily to sack Brady but form a wall. This Bills I think lead the NFL in deflected/tipped passes. Play man press coverage since 80% of his passes will be inside 10 yards or out of the backfield. Don't play zone and for Gods sake don't be conservative. On offense as others say take deep shots. Go to Knox & Sweeney as much as possible. Bill will be doubling Smoke, I guarantee it.  If Devin is healthy get him more touches than 15. Use misdirection but don't go crazy.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

3 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Screw Gilmore!! If I can get Gilmore on Foster 1 on 1, I'll take that battle. Advantage Foster. Gilmore has never been the greatest deep ball defender.

Foster is not even a contributor on offense. He has an advantage over nobody.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Brady is getting the ball out faster than ANY other QB this year so this is doubtful. The key for short throws is stopping YAC.

And getting your hands up to tip passes. Something the Bills have been very good doing against Brady. Under Mc Dermott, Brady has more INTs than TDs against Bills defense

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsbackto81 said:

This is where the O line comes in. Sorry guys but IMO their better than last year but that's like being the most handsome in the burn unit. The pass protection has been sub par and has been spared due to Josh's improvisation and athleticism.

Hence you work the short passing game and running game to open things up as we've seen them do to us so many times. It is absolutely imperative that Josh recognizes his hot reads for this game, especially early. The OL is vastly improved over last year, but not the Dallas OL of course. Either way, Josh will have to read coverages accurately and deliver quick strikes. 

If you want to live by the blitz against Brady you will die by the blitz. They key to rattling him has always been by rushing four but getting pressure up the middle. 

My game plan defensively is just to play our defense. No blown assignments, no big plays, mix your coverages and make Brady go 80 yards and 12 plays on you. He will do that but if you can limit him to doing that 2 or 3 times you are in the ball game. 

It is offense where I am struggling. I just don't know where I see an advantage for us. I think our oline should hold its own against their front but beyond that I give every advantage to the Patriots D. My plan would be use Allen's legs early try and get them to commit someone as a spy so I am evening the numbers game elsewhere to 10 on 10 and then see if you can get Beasley and Knox open underneath. But basically it becomes can you out Patriots the Patriots and execute effectively 2 or 3 long touchdown drives. I am not sure. 

It is maddening that just as the Bills have their most competitive team for a good while the Pats arrive here with their most formidable defense in a decade. There are plenty of Pats teams over the last 10 years that I would take this Bills team to beat at home. Sadly I am not sure the 2019 Patriots is one of them.

6 minutes ago, the skycap said:

And that would result in a pick. 

• Like (+1) 2