Will Bill Belichick Target Tremaine Edmunds Again?

I have a feeling that with the way the Bills secondary is playing that the offense game plan for New England will target against Tremaine Edmunds.  He had a very good week against the Jets stopping Bell, he did fairly well against Saquan Barkley after the first drive.  While Mixon was held in held for the most part, he did break a long screen when Edmunds blew containment.

One major problem with Edmunds is that he’s allowed blockers to take him out of plays.  He just doesn’t shed blocks well.

Based on the success NE had last year on the ground, and with Edleman hobbled by an injury, I can see BB trying to pound the ball on the defense again.  But specifically I think he’ll run off the edges and try to hit some RB screens to target Edmunds’ weakness.  

I don’t see Brady throwing for a ton of yards on our defense but I do think the plan is to pound the defense. 

Milano wasn't part of that 2nd game last year. he was an absolute terror in the first matchup.... oliver has gotten the most interior snaps on a top 10 rush d that has dealt with bell, barkley and mixon.

there are different pieces in play. so I don't think its gonna be as easy as just trying to target Edmunds...

• Like (+1) 3

Boy he really attacked that 20th ranked Rams defense on a neutral field in the superbowl.   

3 whole points going into the 4th quarter.

GEEEEEENius.

It's simple, if we stop the run game, which they failed to do last time, and they will keep it close and have a shot at winning.   It's the same defense as last time, except we have the Italian wonder at LB and swapped Ed for Kyle.   Their Oline is weaker.  Sony is slumping badly.  No Develin.       let's play ball !  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Edmunds pass coverage is good. He drops back well. his anti run game package is lacking. Bill will go after that.
He will try Levi Wallace and go after Tre and look for PI and Tre plays physical and likely still pissed. We are a young team. Good coaches go at the young players.

he will try to fool Allen all day

I could see Belichick attacking the middle of the D. Oliver and Edmunds need to have solid games. 

Having said the Belichick will switch and attack somewhere else. 

The one D that I recall really giving Brady a hard time was Rex’s that one night game. Red ran something similar to what the Giants ran against Brady in the Super Bowl.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Belichick will have 3 plans and he will stick to the one that works, then when it doesn't work anymore he will try another.

Targeting a MLB means what?  are they going to throw short passes over the middle all day?  Coverage is something that Edmunds has been good at. 

I doubt Bill read Sal Malinaro's in depth scouting analysis but I hope he did. 

Edited by Bob in STL

4 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I could see Belichick attacking the middle of the D. Oliver and Edmunds need to have solid games. 

Having said the Belichick will switch and attack somewhere else. 

The one D that I recall really giving Brady a hard time was Rex’s that one night game. Red ran something similar to what the Giants ran against Brady in the Super Bowl.

Belichick doesn't wait till the end of a quarter or half to make adjustments.  He does it during drives. He switches faster than you can react to it....

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Belichick will have 3 plans and he will stick to the one that works, then when it doesn't work anymore he will try another.

Targeting a MLB means what?  are they going to throw short passes over the middle all day?  Coverage is something that Edmunds has been good at. 

I doubt Bill read Sal Malinaro's in depth scouting analysis but I hope he did. 

When you can get a RB in space with blockers on Edmunds he gets swallowed up.  This has happened on screen passes and running plays.  

Attack Billy B instead of trying to counter punch. I am sure if Edumonds shows on tape that he is making some fundamental mistakes he will likely be test. Edumonds is going to have to grow up quick in this game and I think he is up to the task. I think the defensive strategy is going to have to be a simple fundamentally sound aggressive approach.

I think you need to set your own strategy when it comes to the Pats* if you are counter punching from the start you are already lost and behind. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Estro said:

With the loss of Harrison Phillips, coupled with Ed Oliver's small stature....I think we are going to see a steady diet of runs up the middle.  They are going to see if we can stop a power running game.

from what I’ve seen, the Bills run defense is stronger up the middle than on the edges, so I say “bring it!”

33 minutes ago, Estro said:

With the loss of Harrison Phillips, coupled with Ed Oliver's small stature....I think we are going to see a steady diet of runs up the middle.  They are going to see if we can stop a power running game.

I fear the run more than Brady. Therefore, Brady will throw for 500+ yards. I suck at this. 

• Haha (+1) 1

We should just play man across the board. Double the slot guy with bracket coverage and blitz them into submission. 

If they can win outside one on one against our corners so be it. I don’t think they can. 

With Gronk gone we are afforded that luxury. I get they love to use running backs but if we bring enough heat they have to stay in to pass protect. I’m sure someone is going to say how great Brady is against the blitz. Prove it this year against our defense and without Gronk.