We know Patriots Take away one specific option on Defense

MAJBobby

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Ben Volin from The Boston Globe was on with Bulldog today.

He suggested BB's aim will be to force Allen to be a pocket passer.

I.E., take away his mobility, make him read confusing look defenses, and make the right throw.

This is one area where Josh struggles, so you can be sure BB will do this.

This is what I think will happen.  They’re going to rush their ends straight up the field and mix in some peculiar blitzes.  Deep drop backs should be in our game plan this week to allow Allen the chance to get under the ends and use his feet.  

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I also think Bills should Counter with 21 personnel. And also go Tempo. Josh seems more relaxed ina tempo offense 

Agree w this too.  Would also like to see some four wide with speed in the slot.  We had a lot of luck with that late last year, and we haven’t seen it much yet this year.  Should have two games plans this week - one for first half and one for second half.  Mangini used that approach to beat the Pats a couple of times IIRC.

5 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I think the Bills best option would be to go a  lot with 2 WR, 2 TE, 1 RB formations.  If the D goes "heavy" use the TE's against LB's in the passing game.  If they go nickel or dime in coverage then run the ball a lot. 

A taste of their own medicine. And I could see Daboll doing that a lot. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I.E., take away his mobility, make him read confusing look defenses, and make the right throw.

Honestly, this is what every coordinator has been doing to Allen - hemming him in and mirroring him with a spy. When he has had success picking that apart they have started to send more blitzes at him 5 and 6 odd man rushes to force quicker throws.

The latter strategy has been more successful disrupting his timing and ability to progress through his reads. The struggles are not particularly surprising as it is true for every rookie QB and especially true for Allen who did not face a lot of complex defenses when playing JUCO or at Wyoming.

This is why I think Daboll has to be willing to stick to his run game and not abandon it. That gets much harder to do if the Bills fall behind early, so one of our keys to the game will be to get up early and pound the rock steady - not go into a shell, but enough to keep them guessing. That will slow down the pass rush and keep Allen upright, take time off the clock, keep more defenders in the box opening things up deeper, and keep NE's offense cooling their heels on the sideline.

The Bills have to play smart and not put our defense in bad field position. This may be a game where special teams plays ends up tilting things one way or another. I feel they have been much better this year than last, but we will see.

I expect a flag fest even with Tom's mandate to the refs and the thought gives me heart burn.

6 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

We know NE with BB will game plan to take away your best option and force you for other options to win the game. 

so that being said after 3 weeks. I have to think Smoke will be the one taken away and maybe the intermediate passing game. 

so does this week open up for a Beasley and deep ball offensive game plan this week?  

Then we can put Foster and Brown on the field at the same time.

The Pats have been using a lot of LBs.  If they do this I expect we go with a lot of Jumbo an 3TE sets. 

Allen will have a lot of hurdles to overcome.?

Edited by formerlyofCtown

8 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

We know NE with BB will game plan to take away your best option and force you for other options to win the game. 

so that being said after 3 weeks. I have to think Smoke will be the one taken away and maybe the intermediate passing game. 

so does this week open up for a Beasley and deep ball offensive game plan this week?  

I'd go with stopping Allen from extending plays

I think the book on Allen is take away the running game and contain him in the pocket.  Make him be a pocket passer.  Not everybody is able to do that, but the Patriots will.  Stephon Gilmore will probably draw responsibility for John Brown, so it will not be easy to involve him in the passing game.  I think Buffalo will probably spend most of the game with one running back to give Josh and extra option at receiver (either three receivers or two tight ends) most of the game versus using Patrick DiMarco.  Or we could see Pat DiMarco line up wide again.  Daboll will put his creativity on full display.

3 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I think the book on Allen is take away the running game and contain him in the pocket.  Make him be a pocket passer.  Not everybody is able to do that, but the Patriots will.  Stephon Gilmore will probably draw responsibility for John Brown, so it will not be easy to involve him in the passing game.  I think Buffalo will probably spend most of the game with one running back to give Josh and extra option at receiver (either three receivers or two tight ends) most of the game versus using Patrick DiMarco.  Or we could see Pat DiMarco line up wide again.  Daboll will put his creativity on full display.

I do think they try to take away Brown and try to contain Allen in the pocket. If Singletary is back and healthy (big if), he provides that wildcard in the passing game. Also, if Knox becomes more consistent in catching the ball, we could be seeing the emergence of an upper echelon TE. He is an incredible athlete with a surprising physicality to his play. We all know the beast he was on the 49 yard catch/run and the 9 yard end around; however, he also had a 17 yard catch/run early in the second quarter where he took on three defenders, running over a DB, for an extra 4-5 yds.

Let's hope he continues to shine this week!

19 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

so that being said after 3 weeks. I have to think Smoke will be the one taken away and maybe the intermediate passing game

Well, Brown is the deep ball game and Beasley is the intermediate passing game..

19 hours ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

They will put a 'spy' on Allen to prevent him from scrambling.  IIRC they did this last year with some success.

Then one less defender in coverage... This is something Daboll should easily be able to take advantage of. I feel the spy thing only works on QB's who struggle for completions or are field limited with their arm strength.

14 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

That is what we call a Grand Slam.

No this is

Image result for dennys grand slam pictures

18 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Sounds about right

Blah Blah Blah the Patriots take away your best player Blah Blah Blah. Blah Blah Blah doesn’t every team try and stop DeAndre Hopkins as a game plan Blah Blah Blah.

I think the Patriots do this more against Elite players, not so much against the Bills everyone is better than average group. 

I’m going to Lincoln Station Bills Backer Bar in Chicago to watch this game. I believe Marv lives 10 min away for there, I am still hoping he stops in.

My guess is they will try to prevent Allen from scrambling, and emphasize keeping him from bootlegging out to the right. That's where he really punishes defenses, when they think they got him pinned and he slings a dime for a gain on a play that had no business gaining anything. 

If they double up Brown, and contain Allen to the pocket, were going to count on Beasley, Zay, Knox and Sweeney to get open quickly so Allen doesn't have to buy time by running out of the pocket, where I'm thinking Hoodie will have defenders waiting for him. 

21 hours ago, dpberr said:

I think it'll be the opposite.  They will remove Beasley and make Knox/Zay Jones beat them.

I think they can live with the danger of bombs to Brown and Foster.  If Allen throws for over 300 yards with deep strikes, they lost to a great performance by a young quarterback.  

They have faith and trust in Gilmore on the outside, I think you're 100% right, they're going to clamp down on the short game and leave their outside CBs more on an island and make Allen beat them by pushing it down field with lower percentage throws.  

In the AFCCG, the Chiefs bracketed Tyreek Hill and put Gilmore on their #2 in Watkins; I expect something similar where JB will get extra attention, Gilmore will completely neutralize our secondary outside WR, and the LB group will try and limit Allen's rushing ability. That leaves Beasley, Knox, and hopefully Singletary as a receiver if he's back as our biggest x-factors this game. 

Our defense under McD has given Brady fits, even when our offense was unable to sustain much of any drives. If we can do just that, I expect us to stay within 1-2 possessions of them throughout this game.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Blah Blah Blah the Patriots take away your best player Blah Blah Blah. Blah Blah Blah doesn’t every team try and stop DeAndre Hopkins as a game plan Blah Blah Blah.

I think the Patriots do this more against Elite players, not so much against the Bills everyone is better than average group. 

I’m going to Lincoln Station Bills Backer Bar in Chicago to watch this game. I believe Marv lives 10 min away for there, I am still hoping he stops in.

That would be awesome. But at Marv's age, I really hope he isn't driving.

Belicheat won't just have ONE strategy,  he will have multiple options. And he will make adjustments at halftime. But because the Bills don't have an entrenched offensive identity at this point, the lack of a consistent approach could work to the Bills' advantage. IMO the key to this game will be execution. Big surprise there, right?

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, The Dean said:

That would be awesome. But at Marv's age, I really hope he isn't driving.

Belicheat won't just have ONE strategy,  he will have multiple options. And he will make adjustments at halftime. But because the Bills don't have an entrenched offensive identity at this point, the lack of a consistent approach could work to the Bills' advantage. IMO the key to this game will be execution. Big surprise there, right?

I think Marv lives within walking distance of the bar. I hear from people that live in that area that Marv has stopped in there from time to time . They say he still takes his 1 mile walk every morning. 

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I love Chicago; just googled that bar and it looks nice. 

Have fun!