Shur Fine

Another Fan

Shur Fine supermarkets are primarily located in small towns.  I'm not sure if they are owned by the company or are independently owned and just use the Shur Fine name.  Many of the small town markets carry Shur Fine products.

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Shur Fine supermarkets are primarily located in small towns.  I'm not sure if they are owned by the company or are independently owned and just use the Shur Fine name.  Many of the small town markets carry Shur Fine products.

Not so much along 5 & 20 but the Southern Tier.  Used to be one in Alfred Station a couple miles from the colleges.  

On 9/25/2019 at 11:36 AM, SoTier said:

Isn't Shurfine a descendent of the old Super Duper chain? or related somehow? A subsidiary?

On 9/25/2019 at 12:36 PM, SoTier said:

All the ones I know of are independently owned.     Shur Fine was really just the supply warehouse they are united under.

4 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Isn't Shurfine a descendent of the old Super Duper chain? or related somehow? A subsidiary?

No I don't think so.    They were a competitor.   I think Super Duper became Jubilee if I recall correctly.

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

All the ones I know of are independently owned.     Shur Fine was really just the supply warehouse they are united under.

No I don't think so.    They were a competitor.   I think Super Duper became Jubilee if I recall correctly.

Yes they did...thats right. Super Duper may have carried some of Shur Fines products. This is old memory working here. I stocked shelves back in rhe day.

Just now, Rocket94 said:

Yes they did...thats right. Super Duper may have carried some of Shur Fines products. This is old memory working here. I stocked shelves back in rhe day.

Yeah I don't know about SD but I think they were getting a portion of their supply from Olean Wholesale(and some from Bozzuto's in Ct) when they were Jubilee at least and then Super Valu out of Pittsburgh area came in and offered each store owner a lump sum up front to switch their supply to them.    I think it was like $25K-$50K per store.........and Olean Wholesale was caught off guard.    But then a lot of the stores just kept getting most of their supply from Olean anyway.  There were a couple lawsuits filed by SV against those stores.   Olean Wholesale was/is co-owned by all of the Shur Fine store owners though.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I don't know about SD but I think they were getting a portion of their supply from Olean Wholesale(and some from Bozzuto's in Ct) when they were Jubilee at least and then Super Valu out of Pittsburgh area came in and offered each store owner a lump sum up front to switch their supply to them.    I think it was like $25K-$50K per store.........and Olean Wholesale was caught off guard.    But then a lot of the stores just kept getting most of their supply from Olean anyway.  There were a couple lawsuits filed by SV against those stores.   Olean Wholesale was/is co-owned by all of the Shur Fine store owners though.

Interesting. I never knew about all of these connections. Ha! thats enough up front to pay off the house, daughters tuition! what the hell!

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yes, Super Duper became Jubilee which also disappeared.

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Yes, Super Duper became Jubilee which also disappeared.

Wasn't there one other name, either in between those two or right after Jubilee?  Quality Markets is coming to mind, but maybe that was a different chain all together.

And what's the point of the stupid spelling in this place's name?

11 minutes ago, shrader said:

And what's the point of the stupid spelling in this place's name?

Larry Tate and Darren Stephens decided on that catchy hook after a 3 martini lunch.  Appealed to the rural, less educated consumer.  Apparently, many of the children of the target audience migrated on to posting on TSW...?

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

The Shur Fine I frequent in Irondequoit used to be IGA. I think when some of the smaller chains like Super Duper and IGA dissolved many the owners took on the Shur Fine products. So, not directly related but more a natural evolution.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I’m from Olean. A guy from my neighborhood worked at O Wholesale right out of HS. He was our point guard. Shur Fine was a staple in our household. I still buy store brands. Why do I need Hunt’s when I can save 15 cents on Shur Fine tomato sauce or Great Value or whatever?

1 hour ago, HopsGuy said:

I’m from Olean. A guy from my neighborhood worked at O Wholesale right out of HS. He was our point guard. Shur Fine was a staple in our household. I still buy store brands. Why do I need Hunt’s when I can save 15 cents on Shur Fine tomato sauce or Great Value or whatever?

There is no reason to stay away from store brands, if you don't think the product is appreciatively different in taste/quality.  For me, store brands are just as good as the name brand, for a lot of products. Some at Trader Joe's and Aldi (for example) are sometimes even better than the name brand.

With that said, there are certain items where I find a major difference. Dry pasta for example. I never buy the store brand---or most any of the "name brands" for that matter.  And I have found no suitable substitute for Uncle Sam cereal.