Underrated Play - The 2 point conversion was HUGE . McDermotts aggressiveness paid off Big Time!

JerseyBills

Josh Allen is friggin' Superman with some of his throws. His most amazing one was to Zay Jones while he was getting driven back at his knees. That should have taken all the velocity of the ball.  But instead Allen fires the missile and threads the needle to Jones for a first down. That is jedi level stuff.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

No offense to anybody but it never stops to confuse me why so many people do not understand simple concept that the game would go totally different in case that we were kicking. Every single snap would be different. It might have had same outcome, but only as a result of completely different actions.

Just to be clear - I am not questioning McD's decision. Quite the opposite, I really like it, and I really think it helped us overall.

But if anybody thinks that if we made different decision (PAT) at the beginning of the game it wouldn't change anything and it would be 20-17 (instead of 21-17) after Gore's TD with 3 mins left they are completely wrong.

I get what you are saying and I agree. One second in time can change the outcome of most anything, not just football. Basically, the deck would have been reshuffled.

59 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The fact that the penalty places the ball at the 1 yard line makes the situation perfect for a “ pick play”. So good that an official threw a flag before Blakeman overruled on the basis of the one yard free zone. I don’t think they saw anything special on film, just that the rule makes the gamble a very good one. 

Great point ..

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Josh Allen is friggin' Superman with some of his throws. His most amazing one was to Zay Jones while he was getting driven back at his knees. That should have taken all the velocity of the ball.  But instead Allen fires the missile and threads the needle to Jones for a first down. That is jedi level stuff.

That was an amazing play. He waited til the last millisecond, knowing he's going to get drilled and hit Zay with a perfectly placed bullet. 

It's every week now where we are seeing runs or throws that are just jaw dropping. 

That run on the last drive I believe where Allen escapes pressure in the backfield and dives for the first was another incredible play. 

Point is , I think myself and this fan base are seeing these amazing plays so much , maybe we don't appreciate it as much as we should because it's becoming the norm. 

1 hour ago, No_Matter_What said:

No offense to anybody but it never stops to confuse me why so many people do not understand simple concept that the game would go totally different in case that we were kicking. Every single snap would be different. It might have had same outcome, but only as a result of completely different actions.

Just to be clear - I am not questioning McD's decision. Quite the opposite, I really like it, and I really think it helped us overall.

But if anybody thinks that if we made different decision (PAT) at the beginning of the game it wouldn't change anything and it would be 20-17 (instead of 21-17) after Gore's TD with 3 mins left they are completely wrong.

or if we went for 2 and didn't get it...Cincinatti likely has a chance to win it at the end with a field goal into the wind.

I was screaming at the TV to go for two after the penalty. Quite honestly stunned McDermott went that route and it would have been the right call even if it failed. You'd have to assume the percentage creeps up past 60 percent at that point that the conversion will be successful.

He looked a little bit nervous to me; nervous as in it was somewhat against his nature but he knew it was the right decision. Like to think that experience will allow him to feel more comfortable making those types of decisions that are correct, but uncomfortable. 

1 minute ago, Plano said:

or if we went for 2 and didn't get it...Cincinatti likely has a chance to win it at the end with a field goal into the wind.

The odds are on your side that you'll get TWO in that situation, so it makes no mathematical sense to go for 1. The wind and the fact that a XP is NEVER a guarantee made it a slam dunk, but It was the right decision either way.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I was screaming at the TV to go for two after the penalty. Quite honestly stunned McDermott went that route and it would have been the right call even if it failed. You'd have to assume the percentage creeps up past 60 percent at that point that the conversion will be successful.

He looked a little bit nervous to me; nervous as in it was somewhat against his nature but he knew it was the right decision. Like to think that experience will allow him to feel more comfortable making those types of decisions that are correct, but uncomfortable. 

The odds are on your side that you'll get TWO in that situation, so it makes no mathematical sense to go for 1. The wind and the fact that a XP is NEVER a guarantee made it a slam dunk, but It was the right decision either way.

believe me i like the call, just pointing out that it was huge that we got the 2 pointer compared to the 1 or whiffing altogether

• Thank you (+1) 1

I agree with the earlier post indicating:  1)  McD is evolving as he gains more experience as a head coach and is making better in-game decisions; AND 2)  McD has more confidence in the current squad, which is allowing him to take more risks, as the chances of success are greater.  Not only is he better at down and distance, he's also better with clock management and replay challenges.  I am enjoying seeing the improvement! 

That said, I disagreed with the decision to kneel down at the end of the 1st half of the Giants game.  We had time, decent field position, timeouts and lots of momentum.  We let our foot off of their throats and allowed them to get back in the game a little bit.  I would have tried to get into FG range (at least).  I realize that there is the risk of a sack, fumble or INT, but the way the momentum was at that point in the game, I think it would have been worth the risk.

28 minutes ago, Plano said:

Some are not getting what he meant. Anything that happened After the play was in the future. If you alter the history, which that play became immediately when it was over, you are altering the future. The game would not have turned out the way it did.

30 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I agree with the earlier post indicating:  1)  McD is evolving as he gains more experience as a head coach and is making better in-game decisions; AND 2)  McD has more confidence in the current squad, which is allowing him to take more risks, as the chances of success are greater.  Not only is he better at down and distance, he's also better with clock management and replay challenges.  I am enjoying seeing the improvement! 

That said, I disagreed with the decision to kneel down at the end of the 1st half of the Giants game.  We had time, decent field position, timeouts and lots of momentum.  We let our foot off of their throats and allowed them to get back in the game a little bit.  I would have tried to get into FG range (at least).  I realize that there is the risk of a sack, fumble or INT, but the way the momentum was at that point in the game, I think it would have been worth the risk.

That is fine if you ignore the fact that in that game the Bills had already tried to move within 2 minutes and a major adjustment by the Giants had caused issues with the Bills previous drive and that almost cost the Bills points to let the Giants back into the game minus an amazing defensive effort.

After the failed drive and with longer to go and getting the ball after the half - McDermott made a strategic decision to allow his offense to regroup rather than risk letting the Giants back in.  You saw the potential consequences at the end of the half against Cincinnati when Josh fumbled and a lucky break occurred with the ball/player being ruled out of bounds.  We missed a long field goal, but that easily could have been Cincinnati ball on the Buffalo side of the field - completely altering the game and momentum.

Sometimes it is ok to kneel down and take a big lead into the half - just as sometimes it is ok to punt.  It may be a bigger win to not score and hold your momentum rather than risk a turn over and giving the other team life.

Edited by Rochesterfan