Kick/Punt Return concerns

Jerry Jabber

Bojo has a real issue with hang time. It was evident last year. There has been an improvement through two weeks but this week it reared its ugly head again. He has a huge leg but no technique and too often his punts get the returner before our coverage unit has had a chance to get downfield. 

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Bojorquez isn't going anywhere as long as Hausch-money is kicking well and feels chemistry with his holder.  Unlike last year you don’t mess with it unless the dude is shanking 30-yarders all over the place  

This is a good point.  It’s seems that reliable kickers are becoming extinct in the NFL.  Whereas punters are among the least important position on the field in terms of making a different between winning and losing.  

They probably could sign someone off the street who would punt marginally better but I doubt it would make much of a difference.

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Going to take a wait and see on Special Teams.  New coach, new players.   May take a few weeks for it all to gel.

Me too. So far it's been below avg. Especially the Bengal game. We've got to block & tackle better or we're just wasting Roberts. As far as Bojo he's too inconsistent and there were better punters available that we passed on after 53 cuts. 

3 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

In back to back weeks, the Bills have given up long kick/punt returns. Luckily, a holding penalty against the Bengals negated a return for a TD. For punt returns, should Bojorquez start aiming the football out of bounds or near the sidelines? I hope Heath Farwell makes some adjustments quickly.

It appeared (observed on the replay) that the holding penalty was the reason FOR the long kickoff return.

Bojorquez  did look bad in the preseason, but who cares as long as he is kicking very well in the season, which he has so far.

• Like (+1) 1