Head Coach Security Ratings: A Retrospective

Back on August 16th, there was a post here about NFL Head Coach security Ratings. Here's the thread:

The article referenced by the OP was by Dan Hanzus (Around the NFL Writer). In his rating, he had McDermott rated as the 12th most secure NFL coach. Link below:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001041522/article/nfl-head-coach-jobsecurity-rankings-whos-safe-on-hot-seat

I just wanted to revisit this, and see what people thought, now, given the Bills' 3-0 record, the "Super Bowl Bound" Browns' meltdown, the mess in New Jersey, Antonio's Trail of Teams Spilling Tears, the unfortunate loss of Big Ben in Pitt, the uncertainty surrounding the Kyler Murray Experiment... the list goes on. 

1,2,3, Discuss!

(Credit to @MJS as the OP!)

Edited by ROCBillsBeliever
Added credit to MJS.

The write-up on McDermott seems about right IMO.  He came into the season with a pretty secure grip on his job and a team trending in the right direction.  2019 is not playoffs-or-bust; the team just needs to show further improvement and Allen needs to develop.  That all seems to be happening over the first three games.

I mean, if the Bills had started 0-3 and Allen looked to be regressing, McDermott's seat would at least be getting a little warm, right?  (Counter-factual, obviously).

44 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Back on August 16th, there was a post here about NFL Head Coach security Ratings. Here's the thread:

The article referenced by the OP was by Dan Hanzus (Around the NFL Writer). In his rating, he had McDermott rated as the 12th most secure NFL coach. Link below:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001041522/article/nfl-head-coach-jobsecurity-rankings-whos-safe-on-hot-seat

I just wanted to revisit this, and see what people thought, now, given the Bills' 3-0 record, the "Super Bowl Bound" Browns' meltdown, the mess in New Jersey, Antonio's Trail of Teams Spilling Tears, the unfortunate loss of Big Ben in Pitt, the uncertainty surrounding the Kyler Murray Experiment... the list goes on. 

1,2,3, Discuss!

Sean probably moves up two spots to ten ahead of Arians and Tomlin. No one in the tier above is falling out yet. Although Gruden and Petersen may be dropping a couple spots.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'd have to think Adam Gase is no longer top 15 (nor should he have ever been). I could totally see the Jets cutting their losses and finding a real coach.

Me too, but I hope like hell that they don't.

Would be fun to watch it burn for a couple years.

2 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

1,2,3, Discuss!

it prly would have been better to bump the original thread.  that being said 

From being on the hot seat to 3-0 and IF the Bills WIN Sunday, should be the 1st Qtr's (Coq?)  COY  talks 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Discussing the weather with old people be more interesting than this hypothetical blather three games into a season. 

?

Definitely. Someone should start a "Trade for AJ Green" thread or something. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I read the thread title and perceived it to be in regards to how many guys have to be hired to keep irate fans from pummeling the coach.  Gase ranks towards the top of that ranking as well.

A year ago McDermott was in the same position regarding fan hostility towards him

The biggest reason for John Gruden's job security is the contract Oakland locked itself into.  That's not going to change for a few years.  Sean's near term future has never been in doubt, but he certainly hasn't hurt himself.  (His job security is not going to disappear any time soon unless he makes a string of bonehead moves.  I'm not expecting that.)