NFL's newest franchise QB: Daniel Jones

PromoTheRobot

51 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Just watching ESPN First Take where Stephen A Smith and Mel Kiper were taking turns giving Jones a tongue bath.

I guess that's what happens when you play for a New York team. Win one game (barely) and you are instantly the best QB since Sims.

Meanwhile the jury is still out on Josh Allen. :rolleyes:

Jones was  good QB in college, there really is no arguing that.  He looked good last week.  I think he could be a great NFL QB.  He's certainly got to earn that and he hasn't yet.

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Just watching ESPN First Take where Stephen A Smith and Mel Kiper were taking turns giving Jones a tongue bath.

I guess that's what happens when you play for a New York team. Win one game (barely) and you are instantly the best QB since Sims.

He lucked up into that W also because the Bucs drove right down the field then missed the FG. He had two lost fumbles that no one really brings up either. Was he good throwing the ball? Yes. Is he more athletic than Eli? Absolutely. Kiper loved Daniel Jones before the draft so he's immediately going to jump this hype train, feeling he was right for once, and milk it for all it's worth. Stephen A. Smith is going to be himself. Nuff said on that. They, ESPN, feed you whatever narrative they feel will be most beneficial to them in the long run. I don't care what or who they talk about. They can eat a d***. Just win baby!

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, PatsFanNH said:

It was rather impressive, when you consider their biggest play maker on Offense went down early! Barkley went out and the game was squarely on his shoulders and he came threw.  Now lets see how he does it from week to week and against better teams.  (Also his accuracy was better than Allen's last year by a large margin!)

<20 yd passes though.  I remain a firm believer that distances have to be considered when measuring accuracy.

Just now, Pokebball said:

<20 yd passes though.  I remain a firm believer that distances have to be considered when measuring accuracy.

He had very little time, that pocket was collapsing fast.  Also most passes are under 20 yards, did you mean <10?  It was an impressive debut considering.  not saying he is a FQB but he did amazing with what he was dealt with.   

Just now, zow2 said:

I predict Daniel Jones comes down to earth a bit this weekend.  There's film on him, no Saquan, and a winless wounded animal is coming to town in the Redskins.  I think Washington beats NY in this one.  

Then Giants fans will all be like.......

Image result for we suck again gif

1 minute ago, H2o said:

Then Giants fans will all be like.......

Image result for we suck again gif

lol I love the waterboy!  that said, if he stayes composed and they are competitive i don't think Giant fans be that unhappy. If he shows a spark I know i be like.. wow him with Barkley,Shepard, and Tate we have something special. 

1 minute ago, MJS said:

That's what they said about RGIII, Osweiler, and many other flash in the pan QB's. We'll not know this for a couple more years, likely.

Osweiler was fools gold. If you watched the games you could see he wasnt that good.   RG3 was ruined by his HC in his first season playing him with a banged up knee. 

Absent a missed FG aided by Arians taking a delay of game penalty because his kicker is better from farther away (really!) the conversation would be different.  But the Giants came out with a win and the play of Jones was the highlight.  But now the weight of expectations and a weeks worth of game film might start to factor in here.  Declaring him the new star franchise QB after one game is a little premature.  But what else do NYC football writers have to report on given the sad state of the two local teams?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

He had very little time, that pocket was collapsing fast.  Also most passes are under 20 yards, did you mean <10?  It was an impressive debut considering.  not saying he is a FQB but he did amazing with what he was dealt with.   

I don't disagree with you that Jones did a great job.  I like the kid.  I meant 20yds, but 10yds probably works just as well,.  The greater point is that as distance of pass increases, accuracy decreases.  Always has, always will.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I bet not. The narrative will be how the Pats let one slip.

Oh wow, I highly doubt that. Maybe in the New England area media, but not nationally. If the Bills win this game , they will get a healthy dose of media respect because they most certainly will have earned it. Lack of offensive consistency vs their somewhat suspect competition to date is the source of the skepticism. I think the Bills defense gets a fair amount of respect as a very strong but not quite elite unit. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

Such a tired point to make.  Question.  Has Wyoming?  Has Duke?  Had Clemson before Watson?  Don't get me wrong, Jameis is a terrible face of the franchise, but it has nothing to do with where he went to school.

To be fair, even the vaunted Alabama program has underperformed, in terms of quality NFL starting QB production. AJ McCarron, anyone?

Have always wondered about the relationship between the league and media types who constantly herald the next big thing.  The league has watched as Brees and Roethlisberger went down for multiple weeks, Luck retired, and Cam is not the same.  Hyping big market QBs is something that is mutually beneficial for everyone involved, so this isn't surprising.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The jury should still be out on Josh Allen; I feel good about the direction Josh Allen is heading, but he does still play erratically at times (the toss up interceptons) and I would also like to see him go through his progressions more to find to the open man instead of locking in on Cole Beasley so much.

Daniel Jones is hella good and he's shown better at the point in his young career than Allen did his; he looked good in preseason and he led a comeback in place of a future Hall of Famer. It's early but you can see that Jones has the potential to be really good, the early praise is understandable. 

FTR I'm completely cool with Josh Allen's backyard-style improvisation as long as turnovers don't come along with it too often. 

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Why anyone would bother to listen to an idiot like Smith is beyond me. His opinion means less than nothing.

And we all know that Kiper has no idea what the heck he is talking about either.

They are the perfect pair for discussing this question: do two people who don't know what they're talking about know more or less than one person who doesn't know what he's talking about?

• Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Allen has yet to have that type of game.

He had a 5 TD game against Miami.

What the hell are you talking about?

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

They are the perfect pair for discussing this question: do two people who don't know what they're talking about know more or less than one person who doesn't know what he's talking about?

I wouldn't listen to Smith and/or Kiper, even if my life depended on it.

• Thank you (+1) 1