Power Rankings Week 4 - Main Stream Media outlets - Updated with Wk 4 Picks

4 hours ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

Power rankings are honestly a waste of time. I don't think we're "3-0" good with our inability to play a complete game against weaker opponents so far , but we still have the makings of a solid team and definite WC contender. 

That's fair.

50 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

One thing missed here is that the entire intro/article part of the CBS Power Rankings is about how the Bills are legit...

that is so unlike Pete Prisco.   Now I want to see the link where he made that prediction 

still it didn't explain weeks 1 and 2 rankings in 20 to 26 ranges 

5 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

that is so unlike Pete Prisco.   Now I want to see the link where he made that prediction 

still it didn't explain weeks 1 and 2 rankings in 20 to 26 ranges 

I think that's just safe betting by the media. Especially with something so vague and subjective as "Power Rankings". I dont really care what exact number we get, as much as what they are saying in the breakdown.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

I think that's just safe betting by the media. Especially with something so vague and subjective as "Power Rankings". I dont really care what exact number we get, as much as what they are saying in the breakdown.

and what they say in the breakdown gives us a clue if they are actually paying attention

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

Power rankings are honestly a waste of time. I don't think we're "3-0" good with our inability to play a complete game against weaker opponents so far , but we still have the makings of a solid team and definite WC contender. 

To be fair, ALL and ANY discussion of what teams are doing is a waste of time. All of us posting on a message board is a waste of time.

But we still like having the discussions, and rankings is a decent way to provide some guidance to the conversation. Especially when trying to discuss the entire league at once.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, 416BillsFan said:

They dropped SF too. I guess barely beating a winless, injury-depleted AFC North team at home doesn't have the same cachet that it used to.

Guess the Patriots should be down in the teens for their 0-9 opponents including the injury and trade depleted Dolphins and Jets.

7 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Power Rankings Week 4 - Main Stream Media

Pete Prisco and CBS said WHAT??   https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-4-power-rankings-bills-are-climbing-as-date-with-top-ranked-patriots-looms/

6. Buffalo Bills  | Last Week’s Rank: 10

Sean McDermott for coach of the year? A win this week against the Patriots and he will be the Coach of the Year at the quarter mark.

NFL 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001058649/printable/nfl-power-rankings-week-4-bills-49ers-hit-top-10-eagles-dive

RANK  6    BILLS (3-0)     Previous rank: No. 12 

Dawson Knox, have a day. With the Bills down three late in the fourth quarter, Buffalo's rookie tight end hauled in aJosh Allen pass and morphed into an evolutionary Gronk. His 49-yard catch-and-run sent New Era Stadium into a frenzy and set up the Bills' go-ahead touchdown. The seven-play, 78-yard drive was a minor masterpiece by theBills, and provided the latest evidence that Allen has taken the next step as a quarterback in Year 2. Buffalo had coughed up a 14-0 lead in this game, and a loss would have undone much of the progress of the season's first two weeks. But Allen -- with a huge helping hand from his Baby Gronk -- wouldn't allow that to happen. The Bills are 3-0 and welcome the 3-0 Patriots to their house on Sunday. This is the biggest Bills game in a long time. Circle them wagons!

WaPo  https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/09/24/nfl-power-rankings-week-cowboys-packers-are-heels-rams-nfc-supremacy/

9. Buffalo Bills (3-0) | Last Week’s Rank: 10

The Patriots come to town this weekend. That will either provide a sobering reality check for the Bills and their fans or the ultimate boost to their confidence in a rebuilding program that is on fast-forward

ESPN   https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27678541/week-4-nfl-power-rankings-1-32-poll-plus-got-wrong-preseason

12. Buffalo Bills (3-0)

Week 3 ranking: 15gn-arrow.png

What we got wrong: That Tommy Sweeney was the Bills' best option at tight end.

Not a knock against Sweeney, who was still a steal in the seventh round, but Dawson Knox has flashed Travis Kelce-like ability -- and the Bills are using him that way. After missing most of training camp and the preseason with a hamstring injury, Knox has emerged as arguably Josh Allen's favorite scramble-drill target. -- Marcel Louis-Jacques

USA Today   https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/09/24/week-3-nfl-power-rankings-cowboys-patriots-chiefs-49-ers-rams/2425517001/ 

12. Bills (10): Last time they were 3-0 was 2011 ... which, coincidentally, was last time they beat New England when Tom Brady played four quarters. Game on.

...#6 and #9 are NOT realistic IMO.......lose to the Pats at home and they drop to #18 and #21 with a bevy of urinalists' sniveling reasons (COUGH).....I'd say #12+ is far more reasonable at this juncture, if it even matters....

6 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I wrote "one of the worst", not "the worst".  ESPN has them as the 30th team, out of 32 and clearly in the bottom 5 or 6.  I think that more than qualifies as "one of the worst".

I understand. Saying they are one of the worst infers they are a bottom 3 and they aren’t. Miami, washington, jets, denver, arizona, giants and a few others go on that list before them. They are probably bottom 10 or 12 for sure but thats hardly one of the worst.

19 minutes ago, Success said:

You can feel the hopes of a nation behind some of these comments to end the Pats dominance...

3bfti5.jpg

15 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...#6 and #9 are NOT realistic IMO.......lose to the Pats at home and they drop to #18 and #21 with a bevy of urinalists' sniveling reasons (COUGH).....I'd say #12+ is far more reasonable at this juncture, if it even matters....

I agree on 6&9 

12 is still to low for a perfect record.  

If the the Bills lose they will be back to 18 +/- 2 places.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

To be fair, ALL and ANY discussion of what teams are doing is a waste of time. All of us posting on a message board is a waste of time.

But we still like having the discussions, and rankings is a decent way to provide some guidance to the conversation. Especially when trying to discuss the entire league at once.

I understand that, but some sports topics relative to others are less meaningful. Talking about a matchup, breaking down rosters, player analyses, etc. are much more substantial than stuff like "my team is only 9 when I think it should be 6 since we beat number 8!"

Edited by JimKellyTryouts
  • Thank you (+1) 1

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001058649/article/nfl-power-rankings-week-4-bills-49ers-hit-top-10-eagles-dive

Not sure what it means after Week 3, but it's a hell of a lot better than being #16 after Week 3...

RANK #6

bills-logo.jpg

BILLS (3-0)

Previous rank: No. 12 

Dawson Knox, have a day. With the Bills down three late in the fourth quarter, Buffalo's rookie tight end hauled in a Josh Allen pass and morphed into an evolutionary Gronk. His 49-yard catch-and-runsent New Era Stadium into a frenzy and set up the Bills' go-ahead touchdown. The seven-play, 78-yard drive was a minor masterpiece by the Bills, providing the latest evidence that Allen has taken the next step as a quarterback in Year 2. Buffalo had coughed up a 14-0 lead in this game, and a loss would have undone much of the progress of the season's first two weeks. But Allen -- with a huge helping hand from his Baby Gronk -- wouldn't allow that to happen. The Bills are 3-0 and welcome the 3-0 Patriots to their house on Sunday. This is the biggest Bills game in a long time. Circle them wagons!

Edited by Inigo Montoya

I see McD’s defensive gameplan as being key to this game. He Frazier & Daboll need to look at the template on how to beat NE. Allen isn’t going to outduel Brady so we have to beat them with our running attack & defense. I suspect they will take a page out of Patricia & Ninkovich’s playbook from 2018. 

17 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Both make sense imo.

The Ravens came back and made a game of it versus one of the top teams in the NFL, KC at KC.  Meanwhile we had to rally after blowing a 14 point lead at home against one of the worst teams in the league.

Not agreeing with you completely.  I do feel the Ravens played a better opponent and we almost blew a game we should win.  However, the Bengals are not one of the worst in the league.  I believe they are closer to the middle with Seattle and the like.

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001058649/article/nfl-power-rankings-week-4-bills-49ers-hit-top-10-eagles-dive

Not sure what it means after Week 3, but it's a hell of a lot better than being #16 after Week 3...

RANK #6

bills-logo.jpg

BILLS (3-0)

Previous rank: No. 12 

Dawson Knox, have a day. With the Bills down three late in the fourth quarter, Buffalo's rookie tight end hauled in a Josh Allen pass and morphed into an evolutionary Gronk. His 49-yard catch-and-runsent New Era Stadium into a frenzy and set up the Bills' go-ahead touchdown. The seven-play, 78-yard drive was a minor masterpiece by the Bills, providing the latest evidence that Allen has taken the next step as a quarterback in Year 2. Buffalo had coughed up a 14-0 lead in this game, and a loss would have undone much of the progress of the season's first two weeks. But Allen -- with a huge helping hand from his Baby Gronk -- wouldn't allow that to happen. The Bills are 3-0 and welcome the 3-0 Patriots to their house on Sunday. This is the biggest Bills game in a long time. Circle them wagons!

I dont think we are the six best in the league yet, but think we will be toward the last quarter of the season.

15 hours ago, BigPappy said:

I understand. Saying they are one of the worst infers they are a bottom 3 and they aren’t. Miami, washington, jets, denver, arizona, giants and a few others go on that list before them. They are probably bottom 10 or 12 for sure but thats hardly one of the worst.

1) No it doesn,t you arbitrarily made that up 

2) Not my power rankings, ESPN had them at 30, that is one of the worst then  even qualifies under your new definition. 

Sorry, I believe ESPN is a more credible source than BigPappy