Power Rankings Week 4 - Main Stream Media outlets - Updated with Wk 4 Picks

Don't feel we are getting too much lover from the experts.   I watched a lot of sports-center type nfl football games after this last Sunday's game.  Maybe 2-3 hours of TV on while I did other things. NOT ONE REPLAY OF ANY PART OF THE BILLS GAME.  You would think that "beast mode" would have gotten 15 seconds.

24 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

The Bangles aren't even close to the worst team. Their not even the 5 or 6 worst team. Not says they are a great team, just saying they ain't the worst by a long shot.

I completely agree.

They're a tough outing imo and are talented enough to win on any given Sunday. I can see them having a nice turn around , get to 9-10 win range. 

We also played a Jets team that is completely different than what Cle/NE faced. No Darnold,Mosley , Enunwa. I think they could have beat Cleveland with Darnold. 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BillsDude said:

When we beat New England and go to 4-0 USA Today may drop us three more, to #15. 

Well of course, our opponents before NE were something like 1-8, and NE was understandably rusty after only playing teams that were 0-9.  Beating NE in their state doesn't even really count, plus sources tell me Brady had a lash in his eye.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Played KC tough. If the Bills lose to NE by 3 or less and some other team barely beats MIA how should the rankings adjust?

I don't think we should GAIN spots if that were to happen. I'd expect us to drop or at the very least, stay put. I have no problem with leaving someone where they're at after a loss like that... but not gaining. 

You are what your record says you are.

2 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

If you win to stay undefeated, you AT LEAST maintain your spot.

Then rankings would really be pointless. That would just be the NFL standings. These guys are paid to have some opinions and we dont have to agree with them all. 

1 minute ago, CLTbills said:

I don't think we should GAIN spots if that were to happen. I'd expect us to drop or at the very least, stay put. I have no problem with leaving someone where they're at after a loss like that... but not gaining. 

You are what your record says you are.

If we play NE tough I would bet money we barely move in the rankings and could actually gain spots in ones that have us lower. 

Teams records is called the standings. Rankings attempt to be something different. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Both make sense imo.

The Ravens came back and made a game of it versus one of the top teams in the NFL, KC at KC.  Meanwhile we had to rally after blowing a 14 point lead at home against one of the worst teams in the league.

Really? The Bengals have one of the top offenses in the NFL this year. Check the numbers. Their defense isn't good, for sure.

Meanwhile the Patriots faced 3 bottom feeders, including a Jets team that became FAR weaker after facing us.

Jets and Bengals are middle of the pack teams.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Then rankings would really be pointless. That would just be the NFL standings. These guys are paid to have some opinions and we dont have to agree with them all. 

If we play NE tough I would bet money we barely move in the rankings and could actually gain spots in ones that have us lower. 

Teams records is called the standings. Rankings attempt to be something different. 

Undefeated is undefeated. Reorder amongst the undefeated teams fine, and be more subjective with the rest.

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

Just shows the only real use for power rankings is to show which news outlets have which biases.

Is it bias or subjectivity with context ? The Ravens started strong defensively vs one of the highest powered offenses in the NFL and the MVP. They got behind, but rallied late and made a game of it. That was also at Arrowhead. The Bills started strong, faded for 2 quarters for the second straight week then needed a late rally to hold off the Bengals in their home opener. Now, if the Bills mange to hold their ground vs New England with a realistic chance to win late, I’d surmise they would get a strong helping of credit in the power rankings for it. If they get pasted by the Pats* ? The media will say “ same old Bills”. While they can only play the teams on their schedule, how they won holds a lot of sway in these highly subjective ( and largely silly ) power rankings. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I like the NFL.com rankings most, probably, but I think there is a little overreaction to both the Bills win and the Ravens loss. I'd still out the Ravens ahead of us. Bills should probably be in the 7 or 8 spot. Ravens should be too 6.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

Power rankings are honestly a waste of time. I don't think we're "3-0" good with our inability to play a complete game against weaker opponents so far , but we still have the makings of a solid team and definite WC contender. 

they can be but we here @ TSW love to discuss them 

2 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

I'm sorry USA Today, we go 3-0 and we DROP two spots in your ranking?

They must have found out we beat the Giants. Winning out of conference games reduces your chances of getting to the playoffs. This is a well known fact. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is what we got from PFT:

12. Bills (3-0; No. 16): With Tom Brady coming to town, it’s time for the annual run on one specific piece of merchandise at the local adult novelty shops.

It makes me mad that this is all they have to say.

And PFT put the colts ahead of us.

3 minutes ago, mykidsdad said:

This is what we got from PFT:

12. Bills (3-0; No. 16): With Tom Brady coming to town, it’s time for the annual run on one specific piece of merchandise at the local adult novelty shops.

It makes me mad that this is all they have to say.

And PFT put the colts ahead of us.

Well, when you are know for throwing Dill does on the field, getting slammed through burning tables and saddled with some pre millennial BS  of # Bills Mafia .. there's some crap you have to put up with.

2 hours ago, pop gun said:

Lions win move up 9 spots to 11

Texans win move up 9 spots to 9

Saints win move up 6 spots to 8

Ravens lose move up 2 spots to 3

49ers win drop 1 spot to 10 

Bills win drop 2 spots to 12

Vikings currently 2-1 are last in their division and are ranked 7

Rankings are a joke

The Lions went into Philly and beat an Eagles team that's considered a bonafide Super Bowl contender.

The Texans went to LA and beat the Chargers, another team considered a Super Bowl contender.

The Saints went to Seattle -- one of the acknowledged toughest places to play -- and pretty much stuck it to the  playoff contender Seahawks without future HOFer Drew Brees and despite the heroics of future HOFer Russell Wilson.

The Ravens went into KC and went toe to toe with the offensive juggernaut that is the Mahomes' led Chiefs.

The 49ers at home made 5 turn overs and just managed to survive the Roethlisberger-less Steelers.

The Bills almost lost their home opener to a winless Bengals team because they sleep walked through the third quarter.

All the teams in the NFC North are either undefeated or 1 loss teams.  The Packers are 3-0, the Lions 2-0-1, and the Vikings and Bears are 2-1.

Maybe you should actually watch other teams rather than just whining.

Edited by SoTier

34 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The Lions went into Philly and beat an Eagles team that's considered a bonafide Super Bowl contender.

The Texans went to LA and beat the Chargers, another team considered a Super Bowl contender.

The Saints went to Seattle -- one of the acknowledged toughest places to play -- and pretty much stuck it to the  playoff contender Seahawks without future HOFer Drew Brees and despite the heroics of future HOFer Russell Wilson.

The Ravens went into KC and went toe to toe with the offensive juggernaut that is the Mahomes' led Chiefs.

The 49ers at home made 5 turn overs and just managed to survive the Roethlisberger-less Steelers.

The Bills almost lost their home opener to a winless Bengals team because they sleep walked through the third quarter.

All the teams in the NFC North are either undefeated or 1 loss teams.  The Packers are 3-0, the Lions 2-0-1, and the Vikings and Bears are 2-1.

Maybe you should actually watch other teams rather than just whining.

How about the loses for the Texans, Saints and Ravens or Tie for the Lions? Do those count or even get acknowledged? Not according to the rankings! So shove it!

Far from it, Chiefs were up 30-13 in the 4th quarter and Jackson hadn't done squat until the Chiefs called off the dogs.

Edited by pop gun
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Power Rankings Week 4 - Main Stream Media

Pete Prisco and CBS said WHAT??   https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-4-power-rankings-bills-are-climbing-as-date-with-top-ranked-patriots-looms/

6. Buffalo Bills  | Last Week’s Rank: 10

Sean McDermott for coach of the year? A win this week against the Patriots and he will be the Coach of the Year at the quarter mark.

One thing missed here is that the entire intro/article part of the CBS Power Rankings is about how the Bills are legit...

Back in August, I picked the Buffalo Bills to be in the playoffs as a wild-card team. That's on the heels of saying earlier this year that the Bills would win the AFC East in 2020. Yes, ahead of Tom Brady and the New England Patriots

Consider me a believer.

The 3-0 start this season for the Bills has others jumping on their bandwagon, but this week will go a long way in deciding if any of those folks stay. The Bills play host to the Patriots this week in Orchard Park, New York. The Bills mafia will be going nuts, and this will be a true proving ground. 

My belief that the Bills would be a playoff team this season was for three reasons. The first is coach Sean McDermott. His teams always play hard and they are well coached. Even when undermanned the first two years, the Bills were a handful, even getting to the playoffs in 2017.

The second reason I thought Buffalo could be good this year was the defense, a unit made up of a lot of good, rising players mixed in with a handful of solid vets. So far, they've been good. 

Perhaps the biggest reason I thought the Bills could take the playoff step was second-year quarterback Josh Allen. I loved his game coming out of Wyoming, even if the draft-cult didn't. 

In his first season, he was raw and played like it. But he had little talent around him and his receivers couldn't catch a thing. This year, the talent is improved and he's a much-improved quarterback with two fourth-quarter drives to win games.

The Bills are up to the sixth spot in my Power Rankings this week and with a victory Sunday they could be even higher. Who saw this coming? 

The Bills are back and the scary thing for the rest of the league is they will be even better as the young players continue to grow. 

• Thank you (+1) 1