Maiorana's Report: Realism or Pessimism?

Tolstoy

Can’t argue with most of his points, I am still hoping Edmunds reaches that Patrick Willis level of play I thought he would be capable of.  

I’ve been wondering where the deep ball has been, but just hoping it’s been more a case of defenses trying to take it away and force Josh to make accurate short/intermediate throws because they assumed he had accuracy issues.

18 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Maiorana sounds as objective as he can be, and he seems more concerned about the Bills than pessimistic. Perhaps it is a wake up call and Maiorana is making valid points  about a few issues that need to be addressed. The same things that opposing coaches will be analyzing on film.

I doubt there's anything that Sal pointed out that the Bills coaches aren't aware of. 

And we're all concerned about the Bills because as Bills fans we're deeply uneasy sitting here at 3 - 0.  We don't need the Bills beat writer to go ALL negative after the team goes 3 - 0 to start the season.

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I doubt there's anything that Sal pointed out that the Bills coaches aren't aware of. 

And we're all concerned about the Bills because as Bills fans we're deeply uneasy sitting here at 3 - 0.  We don't need the Bills beat writer to go ALL negative after the team goes 3 - 0 to start the season.

I get your point, but he actually sounds like many of us on here. You don't think that I am uneasy? 

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Can’t argue with most of his points, I am still hoping Edmunds reaches that Patrick Willis level of play I thought he would be capable of.  

I’ve been wondering where the deep ball has been, but just hoping it’s been more a case of defenses trying to take it away and force Josh to make accurate short/intermediate throws because they assumed he had accuracy issues.

It's not so much the points he makes but rather it's the timing for this article.  Why crap on the parade BEFORE the Pats game. 

Here's my uncharitable opinion of why he wrote this.  The odds are decent that the Pats blow the Bills up on Sunday.  So Sal wants to get his digs in ahead of time so he can say I TOLD YOU SO.  SEE HOW SMART I AM!

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Rocket94 said:

I get your point, but he actually sounds like many of us on here. You don't think that I am uneasy? 

And that's my problem with Sal (& others).  He's supposed to be a "professional" and yet he comes across as a petulant overly negative fan.  As the beat writer he needs to be telling us what we've been doing well to be at 3 - 0.  If he wants to be critical address where we don't match up well with the Pats.  Warn us about where he thinks the Pats can exploit us.  Instead he pounds on Edmunds and laments that Allen missed a long throw. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And that's my problem with Sal (& others).  He's supposed to be a "professional" and yet he comes across as a petulant overly negative fan.  As the beat writer he needs to be telling us what we've been doing well to be at 3 - 0.  If he wants to be critical address where we don't match up well with the Pats.  Warn us about where he thinks the Pats can exploit us.  Instead he pounds on Edmunds and laments that Allen missed a long throw. 

I get it, and to be honest with you, I am no big fan of the pundits and I never was. I do not know Maiorana, and to me, he sounds no more informed than any of us here. Yes, he did tell us things that we already know...I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

As he did in week 16 last season.

I just haven't been impressed with Edmunds. Everyone seemed to talk it up, but his issues from last season are still glaring. Shedding blocks, reacting, and getting dragged for tackles.

A few voices in the wilderness last year that Edmunds' play was troubling.  They were met with a chorus that said he was young and instincts could more or less be learned from film study, game experience, et al.  

It's still early, but there are four players (Dawkins, Z. Jones, Edmunds, and Ford) Buffalo traded up for during the McBeane years who aren't improving.  

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Sorry...I had a lot of work to catch up on and I am operating with little sleep. I just wanted to say that while I agreed with some of his article, I never like the way these guys can come across...it does sometimes offend our sensibility as fans. I hope you don't lose any sleep over it either.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Sorry...I had a lot of work to catch up on and I am operating with little sleep. I just wanted to say that while I agreed with some of his article, I never like the way these guys can come across...it does sometimes offend our sensibility as fans. I hope you don't lose any sleep over it either.

Not a chance!  Like you I find it annoying but that's about it.

• Like (+1) 1

Edmunds and Ford are in the same boat for me. Both of them are great football players in the wrong position. I don't think it's a surprise that many in the draft had Edmunds at OLB and Ford at RG. I'm not sure if it's just trying to justify their draft slot, but that's where they end up when this testing is over IMO. I'm still a big fan of Edmunds though and he can be a force at OLB. I'm not even sure that he is running the defense like some people believe. The safeties seem to come up and make changes pres-nap, but I don't see Edmunds moving guys around that often. Before I get flamed, I still really like Edmunds lol keep that in mind. 

17 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Edmunds and Ford are in the same boat for me. Both of them are great football players in the wrong position. I don't think it's a surprise that many in the draft had Edmunds at OLB and Ford at RG. I'm not sure if it's just trying to justify their draft slot, but that's where they end up when this testing is over IMO. I'm still a big fan of Edmunds though and he can be a force at OLB. I'm not even sure that he is running the defense like some people believe. The safeties seem to come up and make changes pres-nap, but I don't see Edmunds moving guys around that often. Before I get flamed, I still really like Edmunds lol keep that in mind. 

No flaming.

Have not noticed the safeties making the adjustments, but would not be shocked if they and Lorax with their experience take that on more often than not.

Will look for it, but as a group they all seem to communicate a lot which is a good thing.

The defence overall is pretty solid, but that does not mean there are players that do not need to step up their game, or areas that the team does not need to work on.

Last year NE had a lot of success running the ball on us. Our LBs were late hitting the holes, we did not set the edges, and blockers were getting out to the second level.

Never know what ol' Belichick is going to cook up for us this time.

• Like (+1) 2

I don't disagree with a thing in that article.  Edmunds and Oliver have done very little.  So far. 

But I don't know how you can't acknowledge the overall numbers against 3 of the best backs in the league.  We did fine and thru 2 quarters we held a QB and an offende that was on fire for 2 games to less than 50 yards.  Someone's doing something right.   

We will see how they handle Chubb, Henry, Zeke, and Conner.   Edmunds and Oliver have to be better by the 2nd half of the season.  I think they will.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think this is the unique moment when almost everyone is correct.  The criticism is fair.  He is only 21.  He has made some plays but not as many as one typically sees from the MLB position.  At this point in his career he may be better suited for OLB - less need to diagnose plays and can just rush or drop in coverage.   Maybe he is better suited at OLB for his entire career.  Who knows.  

But at this point, barring injury you stay the course and let him learn MLB.  If he doesn't get better by year end then they face a difficult off-season decision to move him to OLB and draft a new MLB.  But for now, you just let him play and learn.

Edmunds has made some brilliant plays this year, and is a clutch player. Yes, he makes mistakes, just like Josh. Young players, playing clutch ball at an elite level. There is no reason to get big headed, but there is also no reason to be all Monday morning QB, without acknowledging their clutch performances. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I always thought Edmunds would be better suited in a pass rushing capacity rather than MLB....he just doesn’t seem to have the natural instincts imo....

TREMAINE: I re-watched the entire Cinncy game. Edmunds does struggle to play MLB. Its like he has no clue where the hole will be to fill? He's fast as hell but the MLB instincts are not there yet. He is so young so hopefully time will help?

ST:  Both punt and kickoff teams were awful in blocking and tackling.

JOSH: Bills fans will have to be patient.  He is still an improving "work in progress". He's going to continue to learn from mistakes. He's not Mahomes but he just could be a top 10 qb someday. Get rid of the ball sooner and get your eyes involved on progressions.

GORE: He was amazing considering his age and mileage. But we still need Devin back soon. Wouldn't surprise me if we draft another rb in april. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I think people forget he just turned 21 years old in May...he is still young and learning things...the Bills defensive vets to a man believe he is a hall of fame caliber player so either we can believe their opinions or the opinions of some fat sportwswriter who probably never even played ? past pop warner or high school...

I think Edmunds has everything you want in an MLB in this scheme and its only a matter of time before he becomes a force to be reckoned with.

Whachoo got against fat guys??

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

A few voices in the wilderness last year that Edmunds' play was troubling.  They were met with a chorus that said he was young and instincts could more or less be learned from film study, game experience, et al.  

It's still early, but there are four players (Dawkins, Z. Jones, Edmunds, and Ford) Buffalo traded up for during the McBeane years who aren't improving.  

Ford isn’t improving? ?The kid has played a total of around 33 minutes of actual NFL game play (approx 11 mins, 3 games). You’re ready to call him a Bust & Fire McBeane?

Jesus H. Tough crowd.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Ford isn’t improving? ?The kid has played a total of around 33 minutes of actual NFL game play (approx 11 mins, 3 games). You’re ready to call him a Bust & Fire McBeane?

Jesus H. Tough crowd.

Perhaps the wrong word to use was improving, but you're the one using the term "bust."  Point remains that they traded up in the second round a few slots for him to be an OT and he hasn't shown the footwork to handle speed on the outside. 

That's the concerning part.  You don't learn how to be faster out of your stance.  It's either there or it isn't. 

• Like (+1) 1