Maiorana's Report: Realism or Pessimism?

Tolstoy

Welp, the same thing said for Allen right now can also be said for Edmunds, he's only started what, 18 NFL games? And he's still only 21, and switched positions from college to the pros. He's been saddled with a ton of responsibility, has been voted a captain and has teammates depending on him to run the defense. That's a lot to throw at a second-year player, but I think he's up for it.

What I think I see is that there are times where he's still thinking too much, and that's probably a byproduct of him still learning the intricacies of playing MLB and they've likely added more schemes to the defense that he has to know. 

I think he has enough talent to turn the corner and catch fire as an MLB. I think he needs to make a big play to give himself a confidence boost. And if for some reason it doesn't work for him at MLB, they can always shift him outside. 

this team just needs to learn how to win, which we see slowly happening.  are the bills one of the top in the league?  no, but the marked improvement is noticed and hopefully it continues.  so far they've beaten the teams they should have.  that's where we need to be.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

There are definitely plenty of posters here already wanting to see Ford sit and ready to call him a disappointment… and there are growing numbers of people losing patience with Tremaine. So I think that's the dramatic portion of this show. Edwards is still very young and could still be playing college ball this year if he had chosen that route.

QB MLB RT DT are very key positions that most are talking about under performing...   So my general reference to youth could of been elaborated on. But I was kind of following the flow of the thread.

Allen can't miss plays and leave points on the board. Edwards needs to make more dynamic plays from the middle. I think Oliver is doing well, and from what I read Ford needs quicker feet...   If these 4 players all step up their game this week then we can surely win this game.... However I do feel that their is fleeting patience for this core starting to seep in and I feel its still to early for that level of criticism.

Who's Edwards?

And people have ALWAYS been critical of Allen since the day he was drafted....on that note, I want the FO to not pay an iota of attention to fan patience.

45 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Nobody is saying he is terrible.

For a first round pick and a guy the Bills prop up every opportunity they get I'd like to see him actually live up to the hype. He's been OK. Good in certain aspects of the game  and bad in others. 

It would be very disappointing if he is exploited as badly as he was last season against the Patriots in this game. Just saying "well the Patriots do that to everyone" is a lame excuse... and not accurate. 

It is not a lame excuse and it is fairly accurate.  Or have you not been watching football the past couple decades?

1 hour ago, teef said:

this team just needs to learn how to win, which we see slowly happening.  are the bills one of the top in the league?  no, but the marked improvement is noticed and hopefully it continues.  so far they've beaten the teams they should have.  that's where we need to be.

They are not one of the top teams in the League today , but can they be this time next year?

Lets hope so... maybe they only are an offseason acquisition of a OT, DE and WR away if the guys they have drafted the last couple of years can keep developing..

41 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

They are not one of the top teams in the League today , but can they be this time next year?

Lets hope so... maybe they only are an offseason acquisition of a OT, DE and WR away if the guys they have drafted the last couple of years can keep developing..

that's what i'm hoping for.  this offseason they evaluate and really finalize the positions you mentioned in FA and the draft.  i just want so see continued growth this season.  we're seeing it with allen even though we still see some head scratching plays.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, teef said:

that's what i'm hoping for.  this offseason they evaluate and really finalize the positions you mentioned in FA and the draft.  i just want so see continued growth this season.  we're seeing it with allen even though we still see some head scratching plays.

These aside, I'm sure the front office has to like what they've seen.  If they agree, the window starts now.  The team's got 3+1 years of cost control at the QB position.  Time to load up.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, teef said:

I am all about the progress. When you have 9 of 11 new guys starting on offense, I don’t expect perfection right out of the gate. They DO look like a real NFL offense at times, something missing here for a long time. Just keep improving, and suffer thru some bumps along the way. I think they are building something that can seriously contend in the years ahead. 

19 hours ago, Reader said:

Interesting to read this and consider that our defense has allowed by my count 8, 14, and 14 points respectively. Clearly someone on the D is playing exceptionally.

Against no offense. If they hold the pats to that, THEN you can use the work exceptional.

24 minutes ago, Augie said:

I am all about the progress. When you have 9 of 11 new guys starting on offense, I don’t expect perfection right out of the gate. They DO look like a real NFL offense at times, something missing here for a long time. Just keep improving, and suffer thru some bumps along the way. I think they are building something that can seriously contend in the years ahead. 

no doubt.  the defense is going to have to carry the offense for a while as they grow, (hopefully).

4 hours ago, GG said:

In fairness, this has been noted by many people.  He exhibits the polarity of over-aggressiveness and timidity in run support at the worst times.

I don’t disagree that a lot of people have been saying it— but do they know what they’re talking about? I would like to know what TE has been asked to do, or hear from the coaches on that. I just suspect (gut feeling) that while his play hasn’t been great, it may also be a function of things he is being asked to do (eg, attack less, stay in gaps more). 

18 hours ago, WideNine said:

No flaming.

Have not noticed the safeties making the adjustments, but would not be shocked if they and Lorax with their experience take that on more often than not.

Will look for it, but as a group they all seem to communicate a lot which is a good thing.

The defence overall is pretty solid, but that does not mean there are players that do not need to step up their game, or areas that the team does not need to work on.

Last year NE had a lot of success running the ball on us. Our LBs were late hitting the holes, we did not set the edges, and blockers were getting out to the second level.

Never know what ol' Belichick is going to cook up for us this time.

One of the biggest problems with Edmunds is probably his time at MLB. He was an OLB in High School and to start college, so he really has no time at a position that takes a lot of work. It's no surprise that he has trouble recognizing plays. I just wonder how many years that are willing to give him for development.

• Like (+1) 1