Maiorana's Report: Realism or Pessimism?

Tolstoy

9 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I don't disagree with a thing in that article.  Edmunds and Oliver have done very little.  So far. 

But I don't know how you can't acknowledge the overall numbers against 3 of the best backs in the league.  We did fine and thru 2 quarters we held a QB and an offende that was on fire for 2 games to less than 50 yards.  Someone's doing something right.   

We will see how they handle Chubb, Henry, Zeke, and Conner.   Edmunds and Oliver have to be better by the 2nd half of the season.  I think they will.  

This just isn't an accurate description of Cincinnati. They put up 20 and 17 points the first two weeks (and 7 of those was simply a duck that Dalton threw where the safety had an easy INT and mistimed the jump, allowing Ross to walk into the end zone instead) and put up 17 this week. After 429 yards of offense in week 1 (including the aforementioned duck), they followed it up with 316 yards last week; Buffalo allowed 306.

Cincinnati is a bad offensive team and while Buffalo's defense did a very good job in the first half, the 2nd half led to Cincinnati getting what will likely be their usual production.

I think Buffalo's defense is elite, but we've played probably 3 of the bottom 5-8 offensive teams in the league so far this year. New England is a gigantic step up, and I suspect it will be too much of a step up. Could obviously say the same about New England's defense as well (and their offense for that matter), but they've aced the eye test to this point whereas the Bills have been more of a B in that regard.

Edited by DCOrange

12 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

In the context of the defense Edmunds is doing a good job imo.  He can cover and his ability to go sideline really prevents backs from getting to the edge.  This defense is all about every man playing their role.  I think there are a lot of defenses that you could drop Edmunds into and his stats would increase significantly.  He is doing exactly what he needs to in this defense.  Can anyone argue with the results?

in the second half of the Bengals game, YES! Which is what Sal is doing here....

I was in the stands and spent the entire 3rd quarter complaining about Edmunds getting HANDLED routinely...the biggest glare was him getting owned by the WR on the big game. 

Sal is right to point out Edmunds faults here, as the leader of the defense we need more out of him on a consistent basis. Thats not to say he hasnt had good games/moments, its pointing out that this super young and green LB has a long ways to go, and could be a potential liability sunday vs the patriots if they identify and exploit him.

It is OK to point out some negatives when they exist. I am happy as HELL to be 3-0 and am an eternal optimist, those of you who think this is anything other than a good reporting job are looking for smoke and fires where there arent any. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

The criticisms are well founded.  The Bills should have won this game easily and yet they were very close to losing it.  I will take w’s all the time but against a stronger team they  would have lost. 

Cincy, now 0-3 took Seattle, now 2-1 to the wire IIRC   Or at least made it a close game.  

Dalton is a good QB.  circumstances, situations and a clueless coach?  (as of now) 

9 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I think this is the unique moment when almost everyone is correct.  The criticism is fair.  He is only 21.  He has made some plays but not as many as one typically sees from the MLB position.  At this point in his career he may be better suited for OLB - less need to diagnose plays and can just rush or drop in coverage.   Maybe he is better suited at OLB for his entire career.  Who knows.  

But at this point, barring injury you stay the course and let him learn MLB.  If he doesn't get better by year end then they face a difficult off-season decision to move him to OLB and draft a new MLB.  But for now, you just let him play and learn.

Get this rational ***** out of here!!!! 

Come back w some pure disdain.  For anyone!!

Edited by nedboy7
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, MJS said:

"We all expected big strides from the 21-year-old in his second NFL season, but in these first three games, Edmunds has been a ghost. He has 19 tackles, only one for lost yardage, and two pass breakups."

That's a ghost? 5 tackles a game, pass breakups, and a tackle for loss?

Uh, yeah. Five tackles per game is extremely low for an MLB

I can't fault anyone for having these viewpoints at this time (nor can I fault anyone for being all-in excited).

The Bills have been here before in recent memory.  They have been knocked down, and have completely collapsed.  I realize the players, coaches, etc are different... but if you look at the games and competition so far, you can easily get to 'pump the brakes' territory.  Various warning signs and trends that you cannot get away with against the NE and KCs of the world.  While they were the better team in all 3 games so far, it isn't far fetched to say they could have found themselves 1-2 at this point with a little misfortune.

I guess I am kind of in between.  I don't think they are ready yet for the upper echelon teams... they are in the middle/upper-middle class.  However, the schedule looks very favorable and 10-12 games will be there for the taking.  Most likely would have an away game at Baltimore or maybe Houston, and both are winnable.  This type of season would be monumental for a young team with a young QB trying to figure out how to win.  Got some bucks next year to spend and we could find the Bills truly in the NFL top 5 teams for real.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'll say this about the Jet sweep on the 3rd and 1 that nobody seems to be recognizing. Daboll was going for the home run, he wasn't just trying to pick up the 1st. The Bengals did an awesome job of not overreacting to the Gore fake up the middle because if their edge contain crashed hard to the middle McKenzie would have been off to the races down the sideline. This is the type of play that when it works fans are saying, "WHAT A CALL!" but when it fails they're scratching their heads wondering why they didn't just hand it up the middle and pick up easy first down.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I can't fault anyone for having these viewpoints at this time (nor can I fault anyone for being all-in excited).

The Bills have been here before in recent memory.  They have been knocked down, and have completely collapsed.  I realize the players, coaches, etc are different... but if you look at the games and competition so far, you can easily get to 'pump the brakes' territory.  Various warning signs and trends that you cannot get away with against the NE and KCs of the world.  While they were the better team in all 3 games so far, it isn't far fetched to say they could have found themselves 1-2 at this point with a little misfortune.

I guess I am kind of in between.  I don't think they are ready yet for the upper echelon teams... they are in the middle/upper-middle class.  However, the schedule looks very favorable and 10-12 games will be there for the taking.  Most likely would have an away game at Baltimore or maybe Houston, and both are winnable.  This type of season would be monumental for a young team with a young QB trying to figure out how to win.  Got some bucks next year to spend and we could find the Bills truly in the NFL top 5 teams for real.  

A team can only cover up a major personnel weakness for so long.  In '11 it was an offense predicated on timed pass routes to minimize Fitz's weak arm.  As soon as NYJ took those routes away, the Chan had nothing really left.  Their 5-2 start evaporated into a 6-10 finish.  

This team is clearly better and the QB isn't physically limited. Agree that there are some troubling signs, mostly on offense where they've had some bad quarters in which they don't move the ball well. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

It would be interesting to hear someone that really knows football to analyze his play. 

Good point. I appreciate Maiorana's writing, but I'll reserve judgement until I hear from someone who has vast, proven experience as an analytical writer who can truly evaluate MLB play.

Someone like, y'know, Jerry Sullivan.

26 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Good point. I appreciate Maiorana's writing, but I'll reserve judgement until I hear from someone who has vast, proven experience as an analytical writer who can truly evaluate MLB play.

Someone like, y'know, Jerry Sullivan.

In fairness, this has been noted by many people.  He exhibits the polarity of over-aggressiveness and timidity in run support at the worst times.

• Like (+1) 1

There are flaws in the team that will be exposed this weekend if we don't play a tighter clean game.

That being said why do people here suddenly expect a fully gutted team 2 seasons removed to have every single position filled by an All-Pro. We have youth at many key positions and getting better comes with playing time... 

We will need to see how they clean up the slop starting this weekend. I surely expect to see things improve as the year moves forward. I'm not going to be calling for peoples heads if improvement is happening. Right now we are 3-0... Sloppy but gutty wins.. Can't really complain to much.

I do not expect to win this weekend because of the sloppy play against an elite franchise.. I don't think we can clean it up enough yet. Hopefully they will play tough and make it a game. Hopefully they prove me wrong and win, but if I'm gambling I'm taking NE and giving the points

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Nick the Greek said:

I usually like Sal, but this is Schopp and Bulldog negativity. 3-0 and we still suck. BLAH BLAH BLAHHHHH. 

Right on, man!!!  How dare anybody criticize the Bills!  They're 3-0, and their play has been as perfect as their record.  The Pats are DOOMED!

//sarcasm off

7 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

There are flaws in the team that will be exposed this weekend if we don't play a tighter clean game.

That being said why do people here suddenly expect a fully gutted team 2 seasons removed to have every single position filled by an All-Pro. We have youth at many key positions and getting better comes with playing time... 

We will need to see how they clean up the slop starting this weekend. I surely expect to see things improve as the year moves forward. I'm not going to be calling for peoples heads if improvement is happening. Right now we are 3-0... Sloppy but gutty wins.. Can't really complain to much.

I do not expect to win this weekend because of the sloppy play against an elite franchise.. I don't think we can clean it up enough yet. Hopefully they will play tough and make it a game. Hopefully they prove me wrong and win, but if I'm gambling I'm taking NE and giving the points

It's dramatic to claim fans want an All-Pro at every position, but having a few definitely helps when a team needs to exploit a match-up disadvantage.

Still, while young at certain positions, this is a veteran team.  I think some people see a young QB and conclude based on the rebuilding their roster is inexperienced.  They're not.  Buffalo is tied for 24th in terms of oldest roster:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2019-edition/

There's a lot of football left, but this Sunday they have an opportunity to show how far they've come. 

• Like (+1) 1

I thought his column was reasonable enough.  Edmunds is a 21 year old still learning how to play the position.  He needs to read better and fight off blocks more in the run game, but I think he's better in pass protection than Sal is giving him credit for.  He'll continue to develop.  Will Belichick and Brady exploit his relative youth and inexperience Sunday?  Undoubtedly.  Will having the GOAT HC and QB put one over on you mean Edmunds is terrible?  Not unless that means every other MLB in the league is terrible when they play the Pats. 

Edited by oldmanfan

5 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

It's dramatic to claim fans want an All-Pro at every position, but having a few definitely helps when a team needs to exploit a match-up disadvantage.

Still, while young at certain positions, this is a veteran team.  I think some people see a young QB and conclude based on the rebuilding their roster is inexperienced.  They're not.  Buffalo is tied for 24th in terms of oldest roster:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2019-edition/

There's a lot of football left, but this Sunday they have an opportunity to show how far they've come. 

There are definitely plenty of posters here already wanting to see Ford sit and ready to call him a disappointment… and there are growing numbers of people losing patience with Tremaine. So I think that's the dramatic portion of this show. Edwards is still very young and could still be playing college ball this year if he had chosen that route.

QB MLB RT DT are very key positions that most are talking about under performing...   So my general reference to youth could of been elaborated on. But I was kind of following the flow of the thread.

Allen can't miss plays and leave points on the board. Edwards needs to make more dynamic plays from the middle. I think Oliver is doing well, and from what I read Ford needs quicker feet...   If these 4 players all step up their game this week then we can surely win this game.... However I do feel that their is fleeting patience for this core starting to seep in and I feel its still to early for that level of criticism.