Maiorana's Report: Realism or Pessimism?

Tolstoy

15 minutes ago, MJS said:

"We all expected big strides from the 21-year-old in his second NFL season, but in these first three games, Edmunds has been a ghost. He has 19 tackles, only one for lost yardage, and two pass breakups."

That's a ghost? 5 tackles a game, pass breakups, and a tackle for loss?

Yes, he’s nowhere to be seen during commercial breaks! :flirt:

8 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Edmunds strikes me as a better OLB.  He is good in coverage, but still struggling with MLB responsibilities.

I think people forget he just turned 21 years old in May...he is still young and learning things...the Bills defensive vets to a man believe he is a hall of fame caliber player so either we can believe their opinions or the opinions of some fat sportwswriter who probably never even played ? past pop warner or high school...

I think Edmunds has everything you want in an MLB in this scheme and its only a matter of time before he becomes a force to be reckoned with.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Tolstoy said:

Sal makes some good points here, but I can't help but be struck by the negativity regarding players and coaches all over the field. Is Sal giving us a needed wake-up call, or is he unreasonably pessimistic? Here it is: https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2019/09/23/tremaine-edmunds-buffalo-bills-linebacker-struggles-in-win-over-cincinnati-bengals/2418753001/

People have been saying Edmonds has struggled.  

Yet the 19 now 20 year old is still leading the defense.  

A legitimate top 5 defense lead by a kid.  

Sit it back and enjoy the WINS

• Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Tolstoy said:

Sal makes some good points here, but I can't help but be struck by the negativity regarding players and coaches all over the field. Is Sal giving us a needed wake-up call, or is he unreasonably pessimistic? Here it is: https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2019/09/23/tremaine-edmunds-buffalo-bills-linebacker-struggles-in-win-over-cincinnati-bengals/2418753001/

What a hack.  He needs to up his anti-depressant dose.  This article is a negative, mean spirited piece of crap.

Living in another NFL city makes me appreciate how absurd this kind of garbage about a 3 - 0 team is.  Damn, the Bengals are 0 - 3 and you would be hard pressed to find a writer this negative.  The role of the local media IMO is to be a booster of the local team.  That doesn't mean ignoring realty or looking at EVERYTHING through rose colored glasses but this guy and to many other Bills "reporters" look at everything through a dark cloud.

We all get that the 3 - 0 start could be mirage and the bubble could burst.  We're Bills fans after all.  But how about we wait until it happens before sticking a pin into the balloon!  This guy needs to let us enjoy the moment.  Sure, he can gently point out some potential trouble spots but this article reads like we're 0 - 3.

• Like (+1) 5

46 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I always thought Edmunds would be better suited in a pass rushing capacity rather than MLB....he just doesn’t seem to have the natural instincts imo....

This coming game is going to confirm or deny this and many other concepts.  Because if Edmunds' instincts are truly not there, Belichick will expose that all day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Reader said:

Interesting to read this and consider that our defense has allowed by my count 8, 14, and 14 points respectively. Clearly someone on the D is playing exceptionally.

Great film breakdown Sal with your caveat that you do  not know the players assignments anyway.  A Sullyesque piece indeed.  

Headlines: 3-0 team with 6th ranked defense has a 21 year old middle linebacker that is not playing well.  

Edmunds is holding his own and if Bellichek/Brady exposes him he won’t be the first.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Limeaid said:

He is depressed because Bucky and Sucky are gone (Yes Sucky writes for Niagara Gazette but he pays to write there).

Living down here in Cincy I suspect I'm better off for not knowing who "Bucky" & "Sucky" are.  But if they were side kicks of Sal's then they must be tools!

11 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The criticisms are well founded.  The Bills should have won this game easily and yet they were very close to losing it.  I will take w’s all the time but against a stronger team they  would have lost. 

But that's NOT what he was critical of.  He targeted specific players and overly exaggerated what he claimed was their poor play. 

1 hour ago, stony said:

He's right about Edmunds.  

Sal usually gives Sully a run for his money but this was a decent breakdown. 

Not going to disagree with him and no surprises.

A few of us have been saying Edmunds has struggled, especially needs work learning to shed blocks. We have to remember he is really young, but he needs to pick up his game and improve his ability to diagnose plays, so he can anticipate better and be in the right position to stop them.

Same with Ford in pass-pro, he struggles against speed rushers. I am pretty sure we have beat the Star L. deal to death here as well?

The coaching staff and this team have things to work on.

• Like (+1) 1

Maiorana sounds as objective as he can be, and he seems more concerned about the Bills than pessimistic. Perhaps it is a wake up call and Maiorana is making valid points  about a few issues that need to be addressed. The same things that opposing coaches will be analyzing on film.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The way I look at this is, they had three games against weaker opponents and have had time to get problems identified and work on solutions.  They have definitely not been hitting on all cylinders and yet they're still 3-0.  They have an opportunity to get a whole lot better if they keep on working, and from what I can see this team is not made up of men who are willing to let each other down.  

So yeah, it's kind of good news that some parts of the D haven't been playing well.  Wait until they put it all together.

• Like (+1) 1