Maiorana's Report: Realism or Pessimism?

Tolstoy

Sal makes some good points here, but I can't help but be struck by the negativity regarding players and coaches all over the field. Is Sal giving us a needed wake-up call, or is he unreasonably pessimistic? Here it is: https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2019/09/23/tremaine-edmunds-buffalo-bills-linebacker-struggles-in-win-over-cincinnati-bengals/2418753001/

Edited by Tolstoy

He's right about Edmunds.  

19 minutes ago, Tolstoy said:

Sal makes some good points here, but I can't help but be struck by the negativity regarding players and coaches all over the field. Is Sal giving us a needed wake-up call, or is he unreasonably pessimistic? Here it is: https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2019/09/23/tremaine-edmunds-buffalo-bills-linebacker-struggles-in-win-over-cincinnati-bengals/2418753001/

Sal usually gives Sully a run for his money but this was a decent breakdown. 

11 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

He could have balanced the piece out with more good points, but I can't argue with any of the criticisms.   It was a pretty sloppy performance all things considered.

True but one way to look at it. All things considered, the Bengals scored 17 points, had only 306 yards, the Bills got three turnovers (officially four), the Bills ran and passed decently, and won the game. If that is sloppy we go 11-5 or so with that performance.

• Like (+1) 2

"We all expected big strides from the 21-year-old in his second NFL season, but in these first three games, Edmunds has been a ghost. He has 19 tackles, only one for lost yardage, and two pass breakups."

That's a ghost? 5 tackles a game, pass breakups, and a tackle for loss?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

True but one way to look at it. All things considered, the Bengals scored 17 points, had only 306 yards, the Bills got three turnovers (officially four), the Bills ran and passed decently, and won the game. If that is sloppy we go 11-5 or so with that performance.

Yup.  On D it’s mostly nitpicking, though he made a good point about the pass rush (Brady will destroy them if they aren’t more creative).

On O, the turnovers, drops, and play calling will cost them games soon if not cleaned up.

But yes, we should be thrilled to have 3 wins with a team that is still a work in progress.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Reader said:

Interesting to read this and consider that our defense has allowed by my count 8, 14, and 14 points respectively. Clearly someone on the D is playing exceptionally.

Secondary in run support has been exceptional to my eyes...granted I didn’t really go back and look at Bengals game yet

Well to be fair as sloppy as it was the D held what was the 2nd best passing team in the NFL to almost nothing in the first half before giving up some plays and yards in the second once the Bengals went max protect for much of the time...still Dalton didnt even get to 250 yards and the Bengals barely got over 300 for the game...

More importantly they still only allowed 17 points and that was the high water mark through 3 games. Can't complain much about that.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Realism. He’s not wrong that Edmunds had a rough go but I’m not concerned. His previous two games were stellar imo

This Bills team are still a bit of a mystery to me but a lot will be learned over the next 3 weeks. 

Those bye weeks are educationalAF. Heyyoooooo

49 minutes ago, Tolstoy said:

I thought the beginning part about Edmonds was fair and well analyzed. You have to wonder about a guy who then proceeds to do nothing but point out anything he could to be negative. I mean the team won and is 3-0....how can there not be anything positive? When you reach that point its time to go

2 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

In crayon, if you don't mind. 

For my money, that Titans game is going to tell us a lot. Going to be tough sledding imo. 

I know there isn't a ton to be read into results this early on but I am totally confused by that week1 Titans/Browns game...such a weird one

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

In the context of the defense Edmunds is doing a good job imo.  He can cover and his ability to go sideline really prevents backs from getting to the edge.  This defense is all about every man playing their role.  I think there are a lot of defenses that you could drop Edmunds into and his stats would increase significantly.  He is doing exactly what he needs to in this defense.  Can anyone argue with the results?