Horrible Harry (Harrison Phillips) out for the year...ACL

eball

8 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Joe B  is pretty dialed in. But I get it. It’s cool to bash every single person w an opinion. 

Oh yeah also can’t wait to hear “next man’s up” 8 billion times. 

And doubly cool if that opinion was in any way favorable to a member of the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, One Buffalo said:

Bummer... he has looked much better to start the year.  Joe B's All-22 review from last week- (from the Athletic - https://theathletic.com/1219528/2019/09/17/bills-all-22-review-how-the-week-2-film-shows-josh-allen-set-his-new-gold-standard-and-grades-for-each-player/)

I was a star defender last year. But focusing on him this year and I’m not impressed. He’s been getting a single blocker a lot while Oliver gets the double team and doesn’t do much with it. Just kinda stands there with the OL.  Starting to think Jordan Phillips should start next to Ed. 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Poof.     Star's been doing his job, IMO.    Which is not to be Aaron Donald or Geno Atkins.    It's to absorb double teams and make the rest of the D more effective.    Do you think we'd have the the defensive success we've had the last two years if he was under-performing?   Jesus T.

What is worrisome is that this defense depends on D-line rotation.    They now need an interior DT option to spell Lotulelei, to the same extent the other guys on the line are rotated in and out.    Beane and Malik Boyd have some work to do...  

Ed has been getting a lot of the double teams. Star hasn’t really done anything against single blockers to demand a double.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm not a Star hater, in fact I defended his play all of last year.

This year is a different story.  His snap count was down to 34% yesterday.

He's the backup depth now.

There is an injury to the guy who is playing more than he is the last 2 games and he needs to step up his game.

I would expect that from any player (especially a vet making the money he is) to do the same.

He needs to do more than eat up blockers (which I know he does).  

Context.    Star's snap count was likely down yesterday because Cincy went heavily to the passing game in the second half.   That's not who or what Star is.   It means more snaps for Harry and Jordan Phillips, who unquestionably are better equiped to handle that role.

But I haven't seen anything yet that says the Bills are getting gashed up the middle by opposing RBs or that the D-line is not getting a strong center push on passing plays when Star is in the game.  If anything we seem to be improved from a year ago in that respect.

If you want to ***** about how much he's getting paid, that's something else.   But in my mind, the Bills are getting what that thought they would from Star... 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I like the proactive nature of these guys.  Hopefully a trade for Atkins!   Or finding some additional good depth elsewhere in the league.  Even a one year rental vet would be good 

I’m assuming it is more along the lines of signing a guy off of the PS. Probably Vincent Taylor from Miami who some thought was going to take Harry’s job anyway. Star is the starter and Harry only played 26 snaps yesterday. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

22 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

Glass half full? It will feel like we have an extra first round pick showing up for us next year. Get well, sir! 

43 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Poof.     Star's been doing his job, IMO.    Which is not to be Aaron Donald or Geno Atkins.    It's to absorb double teams and make the rest of the D more effective.    Do you think we'd have the the defensive success we've had the last two years if he was under-performing?   Jesus T.

What is worrisome is that this defense depends on D-line rotation.    They now need an interior DT option to spell Lotulelei, to the same extent the other guys on the line are rotated in and out.    Beane and Malik Boyd have some work to do...  

If Star (in name only) is doing his job so well then why was Phillips getting the bulk of 4th quarter snaps?

6 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

If Star (in name only) is doing his job so well then why was Phillips getting the bulk of 4th quarter snaps?

I think Lurker did a good job of explaining this a few posts ago.

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m assuming it is more along the lines of signing a guy off of the PS. Probably Vincent Taylor from Miami who some thought was going to take Harry’s job anyway. Star is the starter and Harry only played 26 snaps yesterday. 

I've got film of a practice squad player at DT just blowing it up, sure it's only one play but he should've been given a chance over Harry,even though the coaching staff doesn't agree. Harry wasn't doing enough for this 3-0 team. He should have been replaced by this practice squad player all along! Hmmm, sounds familiar.

Edit: Yolo, I'm not saying this to say you are saying this.

Edited by Dopey

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

That’s a tough loss.  He was playing really well.

Had a decent game against Barkley, was disciplined in his gaps, and has been bringing some pressure up the middle.

Damn, he was really turning the corner and coming along this year. Wishing him a speedy and full recovery.

19 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I think Lurker did a good job of explaining this a few posts ago.

I've got film of a practice squad player at DT just blowing it up, sure it's only one play but he should've been given a chance over Harry,even though the coaching staff doesn't agree. Harry wasn't doing enough for this 3-0 team. He should have been replaced by this practice squad player all along! Hmmm, sounds familiar.

Edit: Yolo, I'm not saying this to say you are saying this.

Not at all, but when they brought in Vincent Taylor, that narrative was out there

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I was a star defender last year. But focusing on him this year and I’m not impressed. He’s been getting a single blocker a lot while Oliver gets the double team and doesn’t do much with it. Just kinda stands there with the OL.  Starting to think Jordan Phillips should start next to Ed. 

Star has been somewhat of a disappointment.  He's not worth the money but he does eat blockers. The problem is he does nothing else? I would have no problem seeing Ed & Jordan in there 66% of the time. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mojo44 said:

You got me too. Who is he

he was the guy wearing the Pancho Sombrero coming out of the tunnel. and for good reason.

Awesome Kid all around ad played some nice football for Us this season.

best wishes Harry. get well asap Bills love you