Horrible Harry (Harrison Phillips) out for the year...ACL

eball

22 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

A well respected poster in the SB said he thinks Marcel could come back. @Cripple Creek thanks for the ? take.

I think he’d be welcomed back into the locker room. After working with Marrone he now sees the error of his ways and the light has finally turned on for him. Thank you for agreeing and advocating on my behalf.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

In all seriousness, it's gut-check time for Star Lotulelei and by extension McDermott.

If Star cannot get back into playing a higher level of football then he shouldn't be in Buffalo next year.

McDermott has to make the tough call and they would have the money to get out of the contract.

Star has to step up.

Poof.     Star's been doing his job, IMO.    Which is not to be Aaron Donald or Geno Atkins.    It's to absorb double teams and make the rest of the D more effective.    Do you think we'd have the the defensive success we've had the last two years if he was under-performing?   Jesus T.

What is worrisome is that this defense depends on D-line rotation.    They now need an interior DT option to spell Lotulelei, to the same extent the other guys on the line are rotated in and out.    Beane and Malik Boyd have some work to do...  

48 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

Bummer... he has looked much better to start the year.  Joe B's All-22 review from last week- (from the Athletic - https://theathletic.com/1219528/2019/09/17/bills-all-22-review-how-the-week-2-film-shows-josh-allen-set-his-new-gold-standard-and-grades-for-each-player/)

God help us if we're using Joe B as the 'expert' opinion on TSW...

I think they’ll have Jordan Phillips rotate more with Star as the Nose. He does have the size and strength for it. Oliver will be inside and then I think they’ll rotate in Lawson and whoever else they put onto the 53. 

I could see them adding another defensive end and letting Lawson play all across the defensive line. Inside and outside. 

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Poof.     Star's been doing his job, IMO.    Which is not to be Aaron Donald or Geno Atkins.    It's to absorb double teams and make the rest of the D more effective.    Do you think we'd have the the defensive success we've had the last two years if he was under-performing?   Jesus T.

What is worrisome is that this defense depends on D-line rotation.    They now need an interior DT option to spell Lotulelei, to the same extent the other guys on the line are rotated in and out.    Beane and Malik Boyd have some work to do...  

I'm not a Star hater, in fact I defended his play all of last year.

This year is a different story.  His snap count was down to 34% yesterday.

He's the backup depth now.

There is an injury to the guy who is playing more than he is the last 2 games and he needs to step up his game.

I would expect that from any player (especially a vet making the money he is) to do the same.

He needs to do more than eat up blockers (which I know he does).  

11 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I was wondering if that might be a real possibility. Team is undefeated, he's been staying close mentoring Ed Oliver - who knows?

Didn't he look like he had lost a ton of playing weight over the offseason? 

I'd be fine bringing him back, but I wonder about his conditioning...

I don't fully understand why players, especially linemen, don't wear those braces that protect the MCL and ACL... JJ Watt wears one on his elbow... 

Edited by whatdrought

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Harry got the defensive game ball in the locker room after the NYG game 

No issue there.    But the effectiveness of 1-technique DT play is something that defys stats and even snap counts.   It's fundamental to the entirety of what the defense is doing, but particularly the LBs.    

It strikes me as odd that we could be 6th in total defense through three games if the half of our defensive snaps had bad 1-T play like TSW wisdom seems to imply...