ESPN: Bills have the best defense in football

VW82

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

We gave up 23, 37, 25 and 24 to them since McDermott took over.  It's going to take a great day by our offense and we'll have a shot.

I think those mid-twenty scores are encouraging.  We hold them to 25 points, we've got a great chance of beating them.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

We gave up 23, 37, 25 and 24 to them since McDermott took over.  It's going to take a great day by our offense and we'll have a shot.

Sounds about right. The offence needs at least 3TDs for a chance. I think 4TDs gets us a win. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, VW82 said:

Courtesy of ESPN writer Bill Barnwell: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27680783/barnwell-stacking-surprises-nfl-seven-3-0-teams

There's much more in the link.

So basically our defense is once again saving our bacon. Hopefully the offense starts to pick up the pace and do their part too. Once that happens the sky's the limit for this group.

He also said two other teams have the best defense in football, so.....

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, VW82 said:

Courtesy of ESPN writer Bill Barnwell: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27680783/barnwell-stacking-surprises-nfl-seven-3-0-teams

So basically our defense is once again saving our bacon. Hopefully the offense starts to pick up the pace and do their part too. Once that happens the sky's the limit for this group.

oh great, they'll put that on the screen 15 times that the Bills are the best D during the Pats game...

:(

1 hour ago, TwistofFate said:

Patriots will be exposed on Sunday.   National media falls all over them because it sells. 

Ive said it before and ill say it again, we are statistically on par with them offensively and better than them defensively. 

This team will be ready for them on Sunday in every way. 

Imo the Bengals are much more potent than NE on offense. 

Or they fall all over them because they have 6 Lombardi’s and been to the SB 9 times.

16 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Or they fall all over them because they have 6 Lombardi’s and been to the SB 9 times.

1/3 of the board thinks the Pats have to prove themselves all over again every week....  kind of cute and sweet it is

Pats havent given up an offensive touchdown yet in three games. 

Let's see if Allen can shove a couple down their throats! 

1 hour ago, gjv001 said:

If the Bills defense holds the Pats to 17 points or less, then they are the best defense in the lesgue.

no the universe. 

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

oh great, they'll put that on the screen 15 times that the Bills are the best D during the Pats game...

:(

Different networks (ESPN/CBS). I like our chances to hold the Pats under 25. McD has had some really good game plans vs. them the last two years. I'm less confident in our offense to keep it close.    

4 hours ago, VW82 said:

That was from last year also... So no.

Buffalo's Dominant Defense

CATEGORY STAT RANK
Drives/Gm 11.8 29th
Avg Starting FP 69.4 31st
Pts/Drive 1.51 3rd
Yds/Drive 24.8 1st
TD% 17.1% 3rd
TO% 16.1% T-2nd
Score% 28.1% 3rd
Three-and-Out% 36.2% 1st

There isn't one stat that defines a defense.  But the defensive stat I've always thought best measures defensive success is yards/drive.  And we're ranked #1 there. 

That's exciting.

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

I don't know about the best defense but it's pretty dam good certainly playing like a top 2-3 unit in the league. What has really impressed me about the defense has been the tackling. The tackling was good last year but it seems to be even better this year. The defense is mostly the same players (Ed Oliver being the only major addition and Kyle being the only major loss) however the team seems to be comfortable playing with each other and within the system. 

It is very refreshing to see the defense not missing a lot of tackles and playing very disciplined. The lack of an elite pass rush might cause some issues against better offenses but the pass rush isn't chopped liver either. 

Ex Patriot Willie McGinest doesn't think so. Just gave his game ball to SF defense

4 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

I'd be interested to know what BB thinks about that crazy near pick where Allen completely missed the safety.  Is he going to try and bait him with some of those "too good to be true" reads?

Yeah, but if he didn't get his hand on that ball it was dropping right into Robert Foster's mitts

5 hours ago, billieve420 said:

Here comes 50 from the Pats. I hate when these articles come out so early in the season. The Bills have a good defense let's see where they finish up at the end of the year.

I'm guessing top 10, maybe top 5. Brady will put up points, but if we can run the ball and keep him under 28 points, we have a shot. His OL injuries are worse than ours. Time for Ed Oliver to have a breakout game. Harry Phillips will be missed. White and TJohnson/Neal need good games. Obviously Josh needs to eliminate all mental mistakes. Can he do that yet? They need to hold Edelman to 80 yards or less and 1 TD max.

Edited by GreggTX

1 hour ago, Boca BIlls said:

That was from last year also... So no.

Actually it's week 3 last year through three games this year. Our coach is the same. We returned 10 starters. It's basically the exact same defense.