A few thoughts about the Bengals Game, from the game, in no particular order

Virgil

7 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Great write up!

I have a theory on the deep balls.  I suspect they've focused all their time getting the short passing game down that they've neglected the deeper plays.  I expect we're going to see some strikes downfield every soon.

My hope is that they've been intentionally not showing some of their offensive abilities, specifically the deep ball game before week 4. This is something NE does all the time, and Daboll knows it. Don't put it on film, and then come out and surprise them with something they're not prepared for.

Or I could be severely over-thinking it. Sounds good though!

Edited by CLTbills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

This is how this offense works, or maybe the Patriots should make up their minds on what WRs they are going to use.  We dont have a true depth chart beyond 1 and 2 at WR.  Just like the Pats do not.  We also don't have a depth chart at RB just like the Pats do not.  We have role players.

We really are running the Patriots offense. It's uncanny. The slot receiver is our #2 WR. The TEs are used more in the passing game than the #3 WR. The FB is used to identify coverages. Running back by committee.

I kind of wish we were playing to Allen's strengths more. I love that his short area accuracy and decision making have made a giant leap forward, but it feels like we aren't pushing the ball down field as much as we could with that arm. We don't have Tom Brady at QB, we have Josh Allen. We should be running corner routes all day long. Let Knox run a seam route 20 yards down field. Send Foster and Brown and Knox vertical and go max protect. It feels like those sorts of plays are being under utilized. Mix those in with the NE offense and I think we'll have something here.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We really are running the Patriots offense. It's uncanny. The slot receiver is our #2 WR. The TEs are used more in the passing game than the #3 WR. The FB is used to identify coverages. Running back by committee.

I kind of wish we were playing to Allen's strengths more. I love that his short area accuracy and decision making have made a giant leap forward, but it feels like we aren't pushing the ball down field as much as we could with that arm. We don't have Tom Brady at QB, we have Josh Allen. We should be running corner routes all day long. Let Knox run a seam route 20 yards down field. Send Foster and Brown and Knox vertical and go max protect. It feels like those sorts of plays are being under utilized. Mix those in with the NE offense and I think we'll have something here.

I have suspected the coaching staff is emphisizing plays around what they have made him work on in the offseason.  I suspect you will see more deep shots as the season goes on.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This !!! 

It is not a coincidence that we are playing Patriots style football.  Daboll is from that coaching tree.  The only problem is we are missing Singletary to run that offense as we need that shifty RB who will convert the 3 yards to a 8 yard gain to move the chains.  Loss of Singletary has been huge and had a huge impact on the game. I don't think Josh has the confidence in Yeldon to throw in the flat to him and make plays.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ganesh said:

The only problem is we are missing Singletary to run that offense as we need that shifty RB who will convert the 3 yards to a 8 yard gain to move the chains.  Loss of Singletary has been huge and had a huge impact on the game.

Yep and I think we as fans underestimated how much his loss meant to the offense. I bet if he was in the game against Cincinnati we wouldn't have needed last minute heroics.

A lot of great points. Two that I was thinking about during the game that you brought up were lack of pressure and lack of deep balls.

No major concerns about either, as our D has been really good overall and the O looks better overall and is trending in the right direction.

Nice to meet you!

Beat the Cheats!