Is this the most well balanced Bills team in almost 20 years?

Big Turk

7 hours ago, row_33 said:

seen a few 4-1 starts crater the last 20 years or so

maybe i dreamed all that, and it really isn't so bad after all

Oh I remember. Those teams were different though. They weren't nearly as well-coached, and definitely didn't have a stud, playmaker QB. 

Lightyears different from 2011.

8 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Currently the Bills are ranked 8th in offense and 6th in defense in the NFL...

Could the Bills legitimately finish in the top 10 in both offense and defense this year?  The last time the Bills finished in the top 10 on offense was in 2000 where they ranked 9th...they also finished 3rd on defense that year as well...

How’d that 2000 team not make the playoffs?

8 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

How’d that 2000 team not make the playoffs?

They finished 8-8. Despite putting up good yardage numbers on both offense and defense they did not do a good job of putting up points on O or preventing points on D finishing 20th and 18th respectively in those categories.

That was one of the Johnson/Flutie years...Flutie went 4-1 and Johnson went 4-7 despite putting up very similar numbers statistically...however Johnson took way more sacks than Flutie, getting sacked 49 times in 11 games and an astounding 13.8% of pass plays...one of the highest rates I've ever heard of and perhaps one of the highest in NFL history...

• Thank you (+1) 1

This is probably the best Bills team in a long time, IMHO.  Not that it’s really saying much, considering the last 20 years. But still...

...Quick rundown of my areas I think this team is best or close to compared to other Bills teams in the last 20 years:

Best Coach

Best GM

Best QB (realize not a high bar here - Bledsoe’s brief run maybe second?  Fitz?)

Comparable Defense to the best. 

Offense probably not quite there yet but improving. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, skibum said:

The defense is still twice as good as the offense, so I'd say no.

By what metric? 

If you're looking at yards gained vs. yards allowed, the Bills are 8th in the league on offense as far as total yards, 5th in the league as a defense in yards allowed.

That sounds pretty balanced to me. Does the offense still have work to do? ABSOLUTELY... especially in putting points on the board and finishing these drives. But the point is, I wouldn't say "the defense is still twice as good as the offense."

Edited by CLTbills

18 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

It doesn't matter because that's not what we need.

We only need one thing: a 300-yard passing effort.

And that's all we need.

A 300-yard passing effort.

And this ashtray. And these matches. And the remote control. And the paddle ball.

And that's it. And nothing else.

and this chair...

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

By what metric? 

If you're looking at yards gained vs. yards allowed, the Bills are 8th in the league on offense as far as total yards, 5th in the league as a defense in yards allowed.

That sounds pretty balanced to me. Does the offense still have work to do? ABSOLUTELY... especially in putting points on the board and finishing these drives. But the point is, I wouldn't say "the defense is still twice as good as the offense."

Offense needs to stop giving the ball away.  6 turnovers in 3 weeks.  KC has 1. Patriots have 3 but 1 was a backup QB, and another a muffed punt in a 30-0 game.

My answer to OP's question is yes, and here is one of the biggest reasons why IMO.

When you take into consideration the difference between having an average QB vs a franchise QB playing by far the most important position on an NFL football team. The impact a franchise QB has goes a long way when it comes to the overall balance of a football team IMO. How well the game is managed, how well the football is protected. How well rested the D is kept. How well the football is distributed to the Bills play makers. The unity, the stability, the list goes on.

It all falls on the broad shoulders of Josh Allen... 

...One Buffalo strong...

Edited by Figster

Another way to look at it:

Each of the teams we played gave up the least amount of points vs. the Bills. That means 6 teams scored more points against the same teams we played. In all three games we scored less than any of three teams they had played. Our offense has much room for improvement.

On defense its not quite the opposite but close. Both CIN and NYG have scoring lows vs the Bills D. While NYJ have their high vs. The Bills D. However, Bills have not held a team under 14 this season. 

10 minutes ago, ngbills said:

On defense its not quite the opposite but close. Both CIN and NYG have scoring lows vs the Bills D. While NYJ have their high vs. The Bills D. However, Bills have not held a team under 14 this season. 

The defense only allowed 8 points to the Jets.  And you can't really compare Week 1 NYJ to Weeks 2 and 3 NYJ.

55 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

The defense only allowed 8 points to the Jets.  And you can't really compare Week 1 NYJ to Weeks 2 and 3 NYJ.

True - regardless the Bills D is much better than its offense at this point. I would be confident that our D could hold our offense under 14 points. 

1 hour ago, BillsFanSD said:

the Jets

the Jets

that must be some kind of epic achievement if you are boasting about it....

16 hours ago, matter2003 said:

They finished 8-8. Despite putting up good yardage numbers on both offense and defense they did not do a good job of putting up points on O or preventing points on D finishing 20th and 18th respectively in those categories.

That was one of the Johnson/Flutie years...Flutie went 4-1 and Johnson went 4-7 despite putting up very similar numbers statistically...however Johnson took way more sacks than Flutie, getting sacked 49 times in 11 games and an astounding 13.8% of pass plays...one of the highest rates I've ever heard of and perhaps one of the highest in NFL history...

Shoulda just stuck with Flutie....

• Like (+1) 1