Allen 3rd highest rated passer in 4th Q

2 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Also pointed out on OBL by Brownie, was the fact that we are talking about a QB in Allen that hasn't even started the equivalent of a full season yet (14 games and counting), and is 23 years old...

and i believe he also said that out of those 14 games, he has 5 4th qtr. comebacks. iirc,  tyrod had zero in his entire time as a bill.....heck i can't remember the last qb who had a comeback win in the 4th.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I just watched the entire game again and I would advise anyone who hasn't to do just that. Allen had a better game than I thought he did and I think he is getting credit for. We are so use to his scrambling and running that we take it for granted. He had ten very good escapes and runs over the course of the game, including three on the last drive alone. There were as many big drops or mistakes by receivers as the blatant mistakes he made, which were plenty.

Tommy Sweeney probably needs to jump and catch that ball in the endzone which was just an insane play by Allen on the replay. The deep ball to Foster was not necessarily well advised because he wasn't open but it was an absolutely perfect pass that is a TD if the safety doesn't lunge and knock it away at the last second. Knox obviously had a great game but a drop that's a first and goal at the three. Yeldon's fumble cost at least three points. Allen was under a lot of pressure all game and constantly avoided the rush. Three times this led to bad decisions by him including the atrocious interception and bad decision on the intentional grounding which likely cost us three points himself. But he escaped so many times, over and over and over that I think a lot of us take it for granted. His running, too, was ridiculous in this game on several occasions. 

You're just saying that because you are Fair and Balanced.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

shhhhhhhhh.... don't let the Josh haters hear you...

12 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

You're just saying that because you are Fair and Balanced.

His escapability is nuts. The play where Sweeney should have gone up and got it was ridiculous, as was the one of on 2nd and 4 down deep in Cincinnati territory to set up 1st and goal. on that game-winning drive. Guy had him dead to rights and I've watched it over and over and can't figure out how he got out. One thing's for sure. The kid has the grit and the heart to do this. He never gives up on a play, to a detriment sometimes (hero ball crap yesterday). 

But if he gives me 10 of those crazy insane plays and 2 boneheaded ones each week, we're going to win a lot more than we lose.

Edited by CLTbills
  • Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I just watched the entire game again and I would advise anyone who hasn't to do just that. Allen had a better game than I thought he did and I think he is getting credit for. We are so use to his scrambling and running that we take it for granted. He had ten very good escapes and runs over the course of the game, including three on the last drive alone. There were as many big drops or mistakes by receivers as the blatant mistakes he made, which were plenty.

Tommy Sweeney probably needs to jump and catch that ball in the endzone which was just an insane play by Allen on the replay. The deep ball to Foster was not necessarily well advised because he wasn't open but it was an absolutely perfect pass that is a TD if the safety doesn't lunge and knock it away at the last second. Knox obviously had a great game but a drop that's a first and goal at the three. Yeldon's fumble cost at least three points. Allen was under a lot of pressure all game and constantly avoided the rush. Three times this led to bad decisions by him including the atrocious interception and bad decision on the intentional grounding which likely cost us three points himself. But he escaped so many times, over and over and over that I think a lot of us take it for granted. His running, too, was ridiculous in this game on several occasions. 

Funny that's what I saw the first time I watched the game!!!!  Constant pressure, ducking out of & escaping sacks, making some great throws too.

And yes a dumb decision or two.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, CLTbills said:

shhhhhhhhh.... don't let the Josh haters hear you...

His escapability is nuts. The play where Sweeney should have gone up and got it was ridiculous, as was the one of on 2nd and 4 down deep in Cincinnati territory to set up 1st and goal. on that game-winning drive. Guy had him dead to rights and I've watched it over and over and can't figure out how he got out. One thing's for sure. The kid has the grit and the heart to do this. He never gives up on a play, to a detriment sometimes (hero ball crap yesterday). 

But if he gives me 10 of those crazy insane plays and 2 boneheaded ones each week, we're going to win a lot more than we lose.

I agree completely. But the "Fair and Balanced" was sort of an in-joke about what used to be Kelly's name on the board. I guess you had to be there about twelve years ago.

I'm getting old. Peace.

6 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Absolutely. You cannot try to neuter him, or eliminate mistakes, it's a stupid strategy. You have to try to minimize them.

I'll take Josh taking risks and making big plays vs. the Tyrod Taylor method of never throwing the ball to a guy unless he has five yards of separation any day of the week

7 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Allen's ability to escape from the grasp of D-linemen to extend a play is otherworldly quite frankly--how many plays yesterday did he have where any of the likes we've rotated through here at QB the past 20 years would have fallen down at the first hint of a collapsing pocket? 

1:55 mark, he literally takes all day and then some, including a nifty shake and bake; 2:05 mark (still shaking my head at this one--closest I've ever seen was Kelly dropping a shotgun snap, having a helmet technical difficulty and rolling out to still complete a TD to Lofton in the 90 Championship game; but this one is almost better); or my personal favorite at the 4:25 mark--I mean, what???:

I particularly like the throw at the 2:34 mark.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Here’s his full breakdown by quarter. Obviously the 3rd quarter hasn’t been good for this offense.

27627364-B54-E-4-F33-A944-1-C43-B4-A42-D

That's pretty telling. The 4th quarter actually looks better on paper than in reality though, as the offense remains pretty dead right up until the end.

And it's not a great sign that coaches seem to be able to consistently adjust to us better than we adjust to them. Belichick is a master at making the appropriate adjustments needed to get the W, and he'll make life hell for Allen & the offense if they play like they have been the past 3 games.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CLTbills said:

I'll take Josh taking risks and making big plays vs. the Tyrod Taylor method of never throwing the ball to a guy unless he has five yards of separation any day of the week

So will I.

I just wish he wouldn't hang on to the ball so long the rest of the time. He thinks because he can get away from people a lot of the time that he has to extend EVERY play, which sometimes leads to slow decision making. 

Yes, it's a fine line trying to be able to extend plays and get rid of the ball without getting sacked or forcing a turnover, but it has to be done in order for us to be successful.

• Like (+1) 1

He, along with the rest of the offense, was a mess for the first 25 minutes of the second half. It wasn't good. But he does seem to have a clutch gene if that's a thing. He does need to play better on a consistent basis if we're going to beat the top teams this season. He's growing. He's better. But we're gonna need to see that next step eventually. I'm cautiously optimistic.

10 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Chris Brown just now on OBL- Allen has a rating of 125 in the 4th Q this year, good for 3rd best in the league. Say what you will, he rises to the occasion when the chips are down as Mr. Clutch! 

You are always remembered for how you finish.  Way to go Josh for keeping your head up and winning games for the team.  

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

His guys had more drops again, I think it was Sweeny? in particular that had one hit him right in both hands, would have gone for a first down inside the 15 to set up a likely TD

Knox dropped that one inside the five.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Chris Brown just now on OBL- Allen has a rating of 125 in the 4th Q this year, good for 3rd best in the league. Say what you will, he rises to the occasion when the chips are down as Mr. Clutch! 

He is Mr clutch but i believe its just a matter of time before Mr complete.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

this!