Would you have wanted us to go for it on 4th down if Gore doesn't get in on 3rd?

Go for the win?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. FG or gamble?

• Go for the win!
    • Kick for the tie

Depends on where the ball ends up on third down.  Depends on what the coaches saw from our players and the defense on third down.  Depends if the coaches believe they have a play that will work.

Only if all those stars align would I go for it.  Otherwise, you have to kick the field goal.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RochesterLifer said:

I was responding to (thus quoting) your rhetorical question.

With Gore at running back and our 245 lb. manchild at QB, we have excellent 4th and 1 options. That actually proved itself as we never got to 4th and 1. 

Going for it (if necessary) would have been our safest, most foolproof option for victory.

I disagree as we have seen this OL not block very well, but I fail to see why anyone would have a lack of confidence in our D and Allen/ Offense when they have shown us many times they are strong finishers and move the ball well late in the game when their is pressure. Plus the Bengals had the wind in their face. That's what 'm gambling on

If you take the FG and you end up with a tie its still better than a loss for a team who can better absorb a tie than a loss for making the playoffs this season.. My odds say if its 4 and 1 you don't want the loss, but you can stomach a tie, and you have confidence in Allen and the Offense to drive the field again, and a FG kicker who is above average

7 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Our Defense was solid and Allen plays well down the stretch. I take the tie at that point because our OL is solid but still struggles some. I have great confidence in this team overall so why make it a 1 play game where a stumble or a bad block secures the loss.

I've seen enough of this D and Allen to know they can make game winning stops/drives with lots of pressure on them. I liked our chances if the game ended 17-17 and there was OT

and getting stuffed for a loss would of made what kind of statement ?

Our OL is better but stil struggles. 

We would have lost as Cincinatti would have kicked s field goal for the win on their final drive.

55 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

We would have lost as Cincinatti would have kicked s field goal for the win on their final drive.

So you have no faith in our d or the fact the wind was in the kickers face..   I was feeling the opposite 

Two time outs left with 1:51 left.  You go for it.  If you don't get it you have them pinned at the one.  You get the ball back with pry 50 seconds left with the wind at your back and can tie it up with a field goal.  No brainer really.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes so long as Gore didn't lose yards. 

I think the fact that they ran the play they ran - a play with almost no chance of losing yardage and very likely to get you to the 6 inch line if not in - tells you they were going to go for it on 4th down. 

In year one, I think McDermott kicks the FG.  I’m pretty sure he was going for the TD yesterday. Good for him.  Loved the two-point conversion call, too.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Utah John said:

Depends on where the ball ends up on third down.  Depends on what the coaches saw from our players and the defense on third down.  Depends if the coaches believe they have a play that will work.

Only if all those stars align would I go for it.  Otherwise, you have to kick the field goal.

This. You have to consider the situation at the time and no way of knowing unless we were stopped on 3rd. 

One thing to consider is at that point of the game Geno Atkins is lining up against Ford inside. That's a mismatch right up the middle and can blow up any play quick. 

18 hours ago, ddaryl said:

..but I fail to see why anyone would have a lack of confidence in our D...

My (if I was head coach) decision to go for the TD on 4th and 1 would not be from a lack of confidence in our D. Give the Bengals the ball, with two minutes left in a tie game, and any one of these things can happen:

- A long kickoff return (yes, unlikely with the wind at our backs)

- Roughing the passer

- Pass interference

Add a 20 yard catch by Boyd, (he was hot) and boom, they're in field goal range.

This is the NFL and last minute field goals happen with regularity. However, when we have opponents down by four, then our D is in control. At 4th and 1, our choice would have been to take control of the win, or leave ourselves open to any number of bad luck scenarios - you know, "Billsy" finishes.

The way the game was going at that point, I believe they were going to go for it barring a 3rd down penalty. Maybe I’m wrong and McD was going to tie the game and play D with 2 TOs in hand. My gut says he goes for the TD and trusts his D with the Bengals at the 1 yard line. 

Yeah I go for it, assuming Gore didnt lose much on 3rd if he didnt get it. Bengals would be backed up on the 1 if we missed and we had two timeouts and a short field with only needed a fg to tie. assuming we make them go 3 and out, and with our crowd and defense I like those odds

23 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

17-14.  Go for the tie and try to get that last inch/foot/yard on 4th?

Me...we're at home.  I sneak it with Allen if it's at the 1.  

Truly never entered my mind they would kick a field goal. I hated the formation, I like spread out on 3rd with a read option for Josh , sneak on 4th..out of spread formation as well 

22 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

That point in the game you have to take the 3, IMO.

you opinion stinks?