Would you have wanted us to go for it on 4th down if Gore doesn't get in on 3rd?

Go for the win?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. FG or gamble?

• Go for the win!
    • Kick for the tie

Our Defense was solid and Allen plays well down the stretch. I take the tie at that point because our OL is solid but still struggles some. I have great confidence in this team overall so why make it a 1 play game where a stumble or a bad block secures the loss.

I've seen enough of this D and Allen to know they can make game winning stops/drives with lots of pressure on them. I liked our chances if the game ended 17-17 and there was OT

3 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

Absolutely. We are made for 4th and 1. To kick a field goal would have been a bad statement to the team.

and getting stuffed for a loss would of made what kind of statement ?

Our OL is better but stil struggles. 

Edited by ddaryl

18 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

17-14.  Go for the tie and try to get that last inch/foot/yard on 4th?

Me...we're at home.  I sneak it with Allen if it's at the 1.  

How much time is on the clock???  over 10 minutes? 

If he din't make it you could still end up with a safety or a punt from the 9 

In general I think teams should go for it on 4th more often. I was really torn sitting at the game and we discussed prior to 3rd down too. If I'm going for it on 4th I spread and give Allen a read option type play similar to the 2 point conversion. That makes the D have to play both run and pass on 4th. 

Bottom line is you have to know prior to the game if you're going to go for it in that situation and exactly what you're going to run. If you feel really good about your 2 down plan then go for it if you don't kick and take the tie. 

And avoid delay of game penalties if you do kick (apologies to Ariens)....

• Like (+1) 1

I would lean heavily on my OC in that situation and the assistants up top in the booth as to how well the Oline has been doing on short yardage vs a stacked box.

If they see a matchup we keep winning in the trenches and they feel strongly about getting a yard I'd say go power ball and hammer it in, if I'm on the road I'd go either way.   

At home i'd probably kick it simply because our defense has a big advantage at home.  Gore is a really good short yardage back though, the best we've had in awhile.  He lowers that head, gets low but keeps his knees from hitting the ground and comes in like a bowling ball.

2 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

Love that logic. Let's just not take the field...we might lose!

Well using the logic in the rest of my post that you eliminated you might have had more to discuss then editing out the stuff you didn't wat to deal with

I made a complete case above that reply

9 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Well using the logic in the rest of my post that you eliminated you might have had more to discuss then editing out the stuff you didn't wat to deal with

I made a complete case above that reply

I was responding to (thus quoting) your rhetorical question.

With Gore at running back and our 245 lb. manchild at QB, we have excellent 4th and 1 options. That actually proved itself as we never got to 4th and 1. 

Going for it (if necessary) would have been our safest, most foolproof option for victory.