This defense...could be great

Hebert19

Let's all find some wood and knock on it...and again...and again...every time we talk about the D this season because they will be pretty doggone good.  They have the talent and they have the coaches and Leslie Frasier knows how to call a great game most of the time.  The thing that makes me sleep better at night is knowing that McDermott, if absolutely necessary (like the San Diego game last year), can step in and make the defensive calls himself.  It was very extreme and I can tell he would rather never do that again.  But he can and he can really mix it up and stop the bleeding.  The man knows his defense.  That is a very, very good thing to have.

I love that they built this great D all the while doing a massive rebuild and we can already enjoy the fruits this early on.   Hats off the Beane and McD cause that ain't easy.  I do think they can be suspect at times like yesterday.  Cincinnati saw something in the zones or something and Dalton started hitting those passes and killing us.  Maybe that's Frasier's calling.  IDK but we won and the D, in the end, still kept Cinci to 17 points.  That is something we'll take every week.  That is a championship caliber team. 

This D kind of reminds of Wade Phillips' teams.  Remember when we had a top 5 defense every year with him, and bottom 5 offense?   If we had that D during the SB years, we'd have some rings right now.  It was lock-down, pin-down, suffocate them good.  The games were so boring to watch most of the time.  They couldn't score on that D and we couldn't light it up with those offenses.  The thing that gets me giddy about our immediate future is it looks like we might, just maybe, somehow, get both for once.  Fingers crossed.

edit:  Just started reading that article actually and it's a great write up.  Very nice to get some respect.  These guys on D really deserve it.

Edited by Distorted One
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27680783/barnwell-stacking-surprises-nfl-seven-3-0-teams

A little love forum ESPN above. 

Total yards - 6th

Points - 6th

Takeaways - 2nd 

This includes some garbage Time yards.   How good could they be?

just 2 weeks ago (before the MNF doubleheader) Buffalo was the best 

after week 2 , almost the best  --  2nd and 3rd ....  

after most of week 3,  falling fast to 6 th...  

I see a trend ....  or a good reason to not make too much out of this (yet)

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

The defense is quite good. Don’t think they are good enough to truly be elite though. 

Yep.  Pass rush needs to be better.  Dalton had way too much time on too many occasions yesterday.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Yep.  Pass rush needs to be better.  Dalton had way too much time on too many occasions yesterday.  

Over-reliance on the 4 up front to get it done and it ain't happening yet.  Spurts of a dominating rush but underwhelming the rest.  This D is very young and that includes the line.  Probably going to improve as the season goes on just from experience...hopefully anyway.  I was screaming at my screen "knock his ass down!" those last drives.  I guess they couldn't hear me though.

Pass defense is superb.

Containment at the LOS is very good.

Run defense has been good.

Pass rush is lacking.

Red Zone D is terrible.

Very good, nowhere near elite. Unfortunately this is how they're schemed and this is how they'll live and die.

Edited by billsbackto81