This is shocking

Gary M

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

And they somehow get the head of radio-electronic department at Irkutsk State University to say that water's a good conductor???

Pure water (H2O) is an insulator, but when it has impurities (like the minerals you might find in tap water), it becomes a conductor.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Greybeard said:

I wonder if they have ground fault protection in Russia.

In America, you have ground fault protection.

In Soviet Russia, finding fault with the "protection" can put YOU in ground.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

she is absolutely smokin' hot ... no I mean it - SMOKING HOT AND CRISPY!

I think you, your taxi service, and your most famous passenger are all going straight to Hell.

Would you order for me if I’m not already there when you roll in?  Medium wings and a Molson Stock, please.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I think what they meant was that it wouldn't have happened if the phone hadn't been plugged into an AC outlet which, in Europe, is 220V. (If the same accident happened in the US, they'd have said 110V.) The phone itself, unplugged, wouldn't provide enough current to electrocute someone.

In theory, a GFCI outlet would have prevented this. That's why the National Electric code requires them in kitchens, bathrooms, and garages.

You guys require GFI in the garage? interesting, I don't think they require them in the garage around here, just kitchen (near the sink/counter) and bathrooms

20 hours ago, Gary M said:

(Read in a Russian accent) Terrible unfortunate accident happen very much in Russia. Is tragedy.

I wonder who wanted her dead.

1 hour ago, Gary M said:

I started to make it a "would ya", but the chick is dead, so I thought it would be in bad taste.

Youre right. She probably would taste bad at this point.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

(Read in a Russian accent) Terrible unfortunate accident happen very much in Russia. Is tragedy.

I wonder who wanted her dead.

This. IF this story is real and this girl did die in the tub, I'm much more inclined to believe she was killed than a charging phone killed her.

On 9/24/2019 at 9:17 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

This. IF this story is real and this girl did die in the tub, I'm much more inclined to believe she was killed than a charging phone killed her.

A phone plugged directly into a wall socket charging wouldn't be any different then a toaster or other appliance plugged into the wall. And I don't think Russia would have strict Building/Electrical codes, especially in some of their old buildings that would require them to all have GFI outlets everywhere. She looks like someone who would be on her phone charging while in the tub.....

10 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

A phone plugged directly into a wall socket charging wouldn't be any different then a toaster or other appliance plugged into the wall. And I don't think Russia would have strict Building/Electrical codes, especially in some of their old buildings that would require them to all have GFI outlets everywhere. She looks like someone who would be on her phone charging while in the tub.....

Pretty sure it would be different. Since you are charging a battery, not using a live, open current like a toaster or hair dryer.

Only one way to know for sure. I nominate @Gugny to get in the tub.

edit: From some brief googling, it seems a cell phone plugged into a quality charger wouldnt have an issue. But if they were using an extension cord and that fell in, or a low-quality aftermarket charger, or a charger with a frayed cable... that could do it. Especially the extension cord, and less likely but possible with the frayed/bad charger.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Sad 1

On 9/23/2019 at 10:55 PM, apuszczalowski said:

You guys require GFI in the garage? interesting, I don't think they require them in the garage around here, just kitchen (near the sink/counter) and bathrooms

They're required on outdoor plugs, right?  I'd think the garage would meet that category.

On 9/23/2019 at 11:05 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

That’s why 007 had to use an electric fan to zap the bad guy in the tub in the opening scene of ‘Goldfinger’.  New World 110v. girly man voltage.  Shocking!  ?

EDIT:  Had to go rewatch.  It was an electric heater.

480v is for real men.

That's how we play at work!

Shhhh... Just don't @BringBackFergy & @Cripple Creek

On 9/23/2019 at 9:55 PM, apuszczalowski said:

Yes.  Kitchen not necessarily.  Refrigerators, no gfci.  Same with sump pump in basement.  Don't want a nuisance trip and spoil your food or flood your basement.

39 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

She does look like the type that would use bath salts too!

• Haha (+1) 1