THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Just Enough

Shaw66

Every Monday morning, NFL fans in eight or ten cities study the stats, rewatch the video and listen to the commentary about how their team let a game get away from them.  Fans in eight or ten other cities continue to celebrate their team’s win, trying to erase from their minds the half dozen or so ugly plays that could have made the difference between victory and defeat. 

A kickoff return for a touchdown, called back.  A gift two-point conversion.   A fumble ruled out of bounds, barely.  A pass, inches too high, deflected off a receiver’s fingertips and intercepted.

Every week, it’s the same story.   Fans dealing with a loss, telling themselves they could have won.  Other fans celebrating, having watched their team make enough plays to win.  Just enough.

For Buffalo Bills fans so far in 2019, the Bills keep making just enough plays to win.  They keep hearing the players say things like “we’re resilient,” “we’re built for this,” and “we’re built to win.”   Those comments sound good, and maybe there’s something to them, but the reality is the Bills are 3-0 against teams that are a missed chip-shot field goal away from being a combined 0-9, having come from behind twice and nursed a lead to secure the win once.  The Bills have had their moments, and a win is a win, but they still have a lot to prove.

And so it was on Sunday.  In their home opener, the Bills turned a totally dominant first half into a nail-biting, comeback win.  The fans came prepared to make some noise, but they were strangely quiet before the game.   The fans seemed to know that their team wasn’t some New England or Kansas City juggernaut, rolling over opponents with relentless precision.  They seemed to understand the Bills were simply a bunch of emotionally charged over-achievers making enough plays to win games. 

In the first half, the Bills defense dominated.  Like, really, really dominated.   Late in the first half, the Bills’ leading tackler had only two tackles.  Why?  Because the Bengals had gone three and out so often that they hadn’t run enough plays for anyone to have made more than two tackles.   Time of possession in the first half almost was 30:00 to 00:00.  Almost.

The defense kept asking the fans for more noise, and the crowd gladly obliged.  Play after play, the noise rose from the stands, and Andy Dalton was forced to resort to hand signals to get his team organized. 

The highlight was Micah Hyde’s strip that the Bills recovered for their first takeaway of the day.  Good as the strip was, it was Levi Wallace’s determination that made the play.  Wallace was beaten off the line of scrimmage and out of position to make a play on the pass, but he recovered enough, just enough to get a piece of the receiver and hold on for the tackle.  His determination was enough, just enough to give Hyde time for the second hit and the strip.  Pure grit. 

But all wasn’t right in Bills land, because the offense was struggling.   The offensive line was giving the running backs precious little daylight, and all those wide-open five and eight and fifteen yard passes from previous weeks weren’t so wide-open.   The Bills put together one nice drive for a touchdown and managed a couple of field goals for the 14-0 half-time lead. 

In the third quarter, things changed, dramatically.  The offense continued to struggle, but what was more distressing was that for the first time in 2019, the defense looked vulnerable.  The Bengals began attacking weaknesses in the defense that allowed them to get the ball to players in space.  Joe Mixon and the Bengal receivers seemed to be running free in the Bills secondary, and it was all the Bills could do to stop 15-yard gains from becoming 60-yard touchdowns.  The Bengals closed the gap to 14-7, tied it at 14-14, then took the lead 17-14 with four minutes left in the game. 

A lot of the noise had left the stadium.

Then the Bills offense went to work.  Dawson Knox made the big play, a 49-yard catch and run.  Knox’s determination ignited the crowd.  Josh Allen made a couple of nice runs and Frank Gore powered into the end zone to take back the lead.  With the extra point, the Bills were up by 4.   It would have been 3, except that in first quarter the Bills had gotten a two-point conversion on their first touchdown after a Bengal penalty.

Now here came the Bengals, needing a touchdown because of that two-point conversion.  The crowd came back to life, louder than they’d been all day.   Still, the Bengals found openings in the Bills defense and marched down the field, into range for a field goal which wouldn’t be enough.  Forced to keep attacking, Dalton threw high off Auden Tate’s fingertips, Hyde tipped it and White had his second interception. 

A great win.

A few observations.

1.  When the Bills took the field, Harrison Philips led the charge onto the field wearing a sombrero in honor of Pancho Billa.   Great touch. 

Boo to the Bills.  They honored Ezra Castro, aka Pancho Billa, before the game. He deserved a half-time ceremony.  Pancho Billa, a completely spontaneous creation of a single fan, and the Bills Mafia are special, fan-driven activities that the Bills would have created themselves if they’d thought of it.  The Bills missed the opportunity to tell the fans at half time how important they are; instead, the Bills gave us frisbee catching dogs.   The fans missed the chance to say thank you to Castro and his family by having only a pregame announcement (that most fans missed because the lines were so long at security).   

2.  Line play was the story of the game.  The Bills had trouble getting the running game going, and they couldn’t protect Allen.  The pass protection looked like 2018.  Allen was on the run a lot.  Meanwhile, the Bills defensive front four did a good job against the run but could mount no meaningful pass rush.  Dalton had all the time he needed for his second half heroics.  The Bills made a play here and there against the Bengals’ second half passing attack, and it proved to be just enough, but only their first half dominance saved them.

3.  Josh Allen was the story of the game.  (Yes, I did that on purpose.)   There are two important things we know about Josh Allen:  he’s a great play maker, and he still makes stupid plays.   The fumble was stupid.  The interception was stupid.  The deep throw to Foster that was nearly intercepted was stupid.  The throw to Knox in the end zone could have turned out to be stupid.  

But, man, can Josh Allen make plays.  The overthrow of Jones down the right sideline was a great play, escaping the rush and finding Zay.   Yes, he overthrew it, but he was on the run, forward, and it was a really tough throw.  He escapes pressure with the best of them, and he knows where he will find his receivers.  

What I like best is that his quick release and strong arm allows him to find receivers coming open over the middle and get the ball there before the window closes.   His receivers often catch the ball as it’s about to fly past them, because it’s coming at them with real pace.  That ability allows Josh to complete passes that many QBs can’t.

And his running.  The Bills are giving him just enough designed runs to force the defense to account for him.   That makes everything just a little easier for the other ball carriers and for the receivers. 

How many fourth quarter wins does he have now?   I don’t track that stat, but it’s getting hard to ignore.  

4.  Everyone on the field plays north and south, up and down the field.  Except Isaiah McKenzie, who seems to play the whole game east and west.  Someone ought to track how many miles he logs going in motion, sometimes getting the ball, sometimes just attracting attention.  Back and forth, back and forth.  

5.  Frank Gore is just a force of nature.

6.  Cody Ford was really excited when Gore scored the game winner.  After the game, when most players had left the field, he was high-fiving Bills fans around the Bengals’ side of the field.   For a minute it looked like he would circle the stadium, but then he turned and ran to the tunnel.  Ed Oliver and a couple other Bills were high fiving fans on the Bills’ side.

7.  In the car after the game, I listened to McDermott’s press conference.  He sounded emotionally drained.  All he could say was it’s hard to win in the NFL, these guys have heart, we have a lot to work on.   All true.

8.  It was hot in the Stadium.  Hot days bring out the tight tee shirts, the tank tops, the short shorts, the Spandex zumbas.   A feast for the eyes. 

9.  The wind was blowing.  Bojo needs to learn to punt into the wind; those high boomers just come back to him.  I was surprised Hauschka didn’t have the distance on his missed field goal with the wind at his back.  The wind didn’t seem to affect the passers, although Allen’s overthrow of Jones might have been wind-blown.

10.  McDermott may have won the game by deciding to go for two.   A fan behind me said he wants to root for a team that takes the penalty and takes a shot in that situation. 

It’s a process.  There’s plenty to improve on.  But 3-0 with a chance to go up a game on the Patriots is exactly where the Bills wanted to be late in September.   

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

• Like (+1) 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 9

Great review!

One positive to take away which seemed like a negative yesterday was just how badly the Bills dominated the Bengals during the 1st half.  At one point the Bills had 220 yards to the Bengal's 20 yards and 15 first downs to the Bengals 0.  Sure we should have been ahead by a lot more then 2 scores BUT the ability to dominate another NFL team not named Miami was impressive. 

Now the next time we come out and stomp a team like we did yesterday we need to stomp them on the scoreboard to.

6 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Agreed here. That and adrenaline imo. I looked at my buddy right after and just said I think he was a little too excited for that one! 

Adrenaline, too, you're right.  

In a sense, it's the same as the really bad plays.  He needs to continue to settle down, so that he can make EVERY play in EVERY situation.  Even though it's impossible, that IS what's expected of him.  

Understanding the Bills are simply a bunch of emotionally charged over-achievers making enough plays to win games is the one comment I disagree with you on Shaw. I do however think its what Bills fans have grown accustomed to over the years.

Myself personally, I feel like the New Era Buffalo Bills are barely scratching the surface of their true potential.

Thanks for the awesome review.

• Like (+1) 1

I believe the Bills have a design for when the play breaks down. I don't believe it's improvisation. When Allen breaks from the pocket, it's been to the right, and there are always two eligible receivers who will break from their route, head to the sideline, and cut back towards the line of scrimmage to get separation. Ironically, it may be the hardest play that opponents have had to defend. I think the plan has been, so far, to keep Allen contained in the pocket because he is so dangerous on the run. I don't think the Jets, or Giants, or Bengals have game planned specifically for that play. 

But, the Patriots* will.

What I want to know is why do they come out flat in the third quarter when they have a small to modest lead?  Like McD tells them at half time to nurse the lead and run out the clock.  Yeah, it is tough to win in the NFL when you take your foot off the gas against any opponent...especially the one coming up this week.

Well done as usual Shaw.

Personally i think the Bills letting Harrison Phillips run out with the Sombrero and do a pre game ceremony  was  more than adequate tribute to Pancho. Most NFL franchises wouldn't even consider it, Bills deserve credit.  Had they not done that I would bet you wouldnt have even brought up Pancho.  .  Bills dont deserve any "Boos" and didnt need to do anything at halftime.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Well done as usual Shaw.

Personally i think the Bills letting Harrison Phillips run out with the Sombrero and do a pre game ceremony  was  more than adequate tribute to Pancho. Most NFL franchises wouldn't even consider it, Bills deserve credit.  Had they not done that I would bet you wouldnt have even brought up Pancho.  .  Bills dont deserve any "Boos" and didnt need to do anything at halftime.

Well, if what you're saying is nothing would have been better than what they did, I agree with you.  But once they decided to do something, they should have done it better.  Those before game ceremonies are just publicity efforts, feel-good stories.  Pancho was the guy they let announce draft picks, the guy they called from the draft war room.  

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, if what you're saying is nothing would have been better than what they did, I agree with you.  But once they decided to do something, they should have done it better.  Those before game ceremonies are just publicity efforts, feel-good stories.  Pancho was the guy they let announce draft picks, the guy they called from the draft war room.  

Sorry but that is exactly what Pancho is, a publicity, feel good story, nothing wrong with it but that is what it is.

Pancho & Family should have been (be) thrilled with all the access he got, announcing draft picks, getting calls from the war room, visits on the field at TC, players visiting him at the hospital.  

Most organizations wouldnt have done anything "for him" but each team has fans like Pancho and there are others "Panchos" out there at other cities they never get the recognition he did.  There are  thousands of Bills fans equally deserving that dont get recognition.

IMO Bills organization deserves credit for the way the recognized him including yesterday. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

This is all assuming that Pancho's family wanted to be trotted out as the half-time show. From the coverage I've seem of them, his family seem like modest, and humble people. The pre-game thing sounds comparatively intimate as opposed to the spectacle of a halftime show which is, historically, viewed as entertainment. It could very well be that his family did not want to appear self-serving, or undignified, and I would agree with them. I honestly don't agree that this is about the fans. It's about his family.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

This is all assuming that Pancho's family wanted to be trotted out as the half-time show. From the coverage I've seem of them, his family seem like modest, and humble people. The pre-game thing sounds comparatively intimate as opposed to the spectacle of a halftime show which is, historically, viewed as entertainment. It could very well be that his family did not want to appear self-serving, or undignified, and I would agree with them. I honestly don't agree that this is about the fans. It's about his family.

Maybe you're correct about this. 

• Like (+1) 2

To me the Bills use of Pancho’s story is also about promoting the “one buffalo” attitude. We are one family; players, fans, coaches etc...  

Maybe this is too pie in the sky stuff but I really think that Sean McDermott cares about his players and fans as if they are family. JMO!

As far as the game I was really concerned with the lack of protection from the offensive line! They better fix it ASAP or Allen is gonna have about 1.5 seconds to get rid of it this Sunday. I’m sure Belichick noticed it as well!!  Although IMO they did a decent job in the run game at least getting some chunk yardage gains.

Right now it’s the defense and Allen show!

100% on about Pancho.

i think the bills should have went the extra distance and asked the nfl to honor him by putting a Pancho on their jersey for the season. 

I mean the guy went against doctor orders to attend bills games. 

The sport is about two groups of people, the players and fans. The nfl hardly cares about either. 

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I believe the Bills have a design for when the play breaks down. I don't believe it's improvisation. When Allen breaks from the pocket, it's been to the right, and there are always two eligible receivers who will break from their route, head to the sideline, and cut back towards the line of scrimmage to get separation. Ironically, it may be the hardest play that opponents have had to defend. I think the plan has been, so far, to keep Allen contained in the pocket because he is so dangerous on the run. I don't think the Jets, or Giants, or Bengals have game planned specifically for that play. 

But, the Patriots* will.

If it's a tendency, they will see it. I do think Allen is his most dangerous on the move.

Should be able to throw it away sans flag once outside the tackles.

Needs to get that BS call out of his head.