John Brown says Bills offense the most complicated he has played in.

PlayoffsPlease

Not surprising.

Double TE, single TE, empty backfield, trips left or right, full back all over the place, I formation, TE's on a reverse or pitch, screens, draws, QB keepers....

Yeah, Daboll has a lot of different plays, just has to be sure we have the right personnel to pull them off against the right fronts and coverage.

Not a bad thing for Josh's development to learn a complicated NFL offense out of the gate.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Not surprising.

Double TE, single TE, empty backfield, trips left or right, full back all over the place, I formation, TE's on a reverse or pitch, screens, draws, QB keepers....

Yeah, Daboll has a lot of different plays, just has to be sure we have the right personnel to pull them off against the right fronts and coverage.

Not a bad thing for Josh's development to learn a complicated NFL offense out of the gate.

At times in the games they go too deep.  Imo that's helped attributed to the sputtering for a few stretches.  If you find a formation or play working keep going to it, until its stopped.  At times they have gotten too multiple.  

38 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

At times in the games they go too deep.  Imo that's helped attributed to the sputtering for a few stretches.  If you find a formation or play working keep going to it, until its stopped.  At times they have gotten too multiple.  

I think we have to find a handful of plays that work well against the 5-6 man rushes teams have thrown at Allen the past few weeks.

Each time teams have brought extra bodies our offense has sputtered. We need an answer cause NE is going to bring those extra rushers from every direction.

Get the protections and a scheme where Allen can get rid of it more quickly throwing to soft spots in the zones underneath and we should find more success.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Not surprising.

Explains the Encyclopedia Britannica Allen has duct taped to his arm.

4 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I think we have to find a handful of plays that work well against the 5-6 man rushes teams have thrown at Allen the past few weeks.

Each time teams have brought extra bodies our offense has sputtered. We need an answer cause NE is going to bring those extra rushers from every direction.

Get the protections and a scheme where Allen can get rid of it more quickly throwing to soft spots in the zones underneath and we should find more success.

⬆️ x 1,000

2 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

During the broadcast yesterday Jay Feely mentioned that Josh Brown told him the Bills offense is the most complicated he has played in.  Previous head coaches for Brown include Bruce Arians and John Harbaugh, so that is an interesting observation by Josh. 

Its not clear to me that "most complicated" is a great thing.  But my understanding is that NE's offense is considered very complicated, and that seems to have worked out over time.

This is why not just any WR can play here and why Zay is not going anywhere.  Ochocinco could handle the complexity of the Pats Offense and did not play well there.

22 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I think John Allen? is going to run all over the Patriots.

2 hours ago, folz said:

As I posted in a thread last week, I believe this is the reason that Zay starts over Foster or Duke Williams (for those who continually wonder about that). He has a much better command of this very complicated offense than the other two do.

That would very much be the majority of it - aside from having more general NFL game experience than Foster and Duke, Daboll and the offensive staff have gone on record saying Zay's use is reflective of him knowing how to play, and having played, all WR positions in this offense. Albeit, to varying quality, but he understands the role he's to play in each position and we value that utility over one-dimensional production. Not to mention, his blocking has come a long way and is starting to remind me of the Robert Woods days - not there yet, but noticeable from his last two seasons.

38 minutes ago, WideNine said:

While I don't disagree with you here at all necessarily, I don't think you'll see NE bring all that many odd-man rushes. I'm of course purely speculating here, but if it's known to us it's known to Belly that we don't have consistent play at RT just yet. Assuming Feliciano is out this week, get ready to see Bennett/Van Noy/Hightower/Winovich all loading up that right side when on the field relentlessly regardless of where they play on the line. Hell, I'd even be concerned with Bennett and Winovich/Van Noy lining up against Dawkins as he's still having issues on the left side.

As it stands, Belly will likely scheme offset 4 man rushes, and stunts on the right side of the line in particular, that will be able to generate pressure without sacrificing the extra defender in coverage, thereby making Allen's life that much more difficult in finding pass options to beat the rush. Van Noy/Hightower will likely be spying on those rushes as well to keep Josh honest and containing his running ability.

The run game will play a big role in this, especially if Singletary isn't able to go, but we'll need to execute quick passing options early and often to dissuade this throughout the game. That said, I have confidence in Daboll to scheme Beasley and Brown open with mesh concepts against man and landmark curls/outs/crosses against zone like we've been doing. I would hope we start to use Knox/TE more as well, just to spread the coverage, and create gaps/mismatches. Pats play a weekly defense so expect them to scheme a base D that forces Allen into quick decisions/throws in coverage with primarily 4 man rushes, but our OL will need to come to play and think. I'm just happy this game is early and on our turf, and with a team that doesn't seem to let early point deficits phase them just yet.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

.... wonder what he defines as "complicated" ......the Deadskins grabbed Al Saunders from KC and he arrived in Washington with an allegedly 700 PAGE PLAYBOOK....and then moving on to da Raiduhs....

Al Saunders Is New Raiders OC: Will His 700-Page Playbook Help or Hurt Oakland?

Keff Ciardello  February 4, 2011

The Raiders announced (sort of) the hiring of Al Saunders to be the offensive coordinator over a week ago.

Saunders got his start in the NFL with the Chargers before moving on to be the assistant head coach and wide receivers coach for the Kansas City Chiefs from 1989 to 1998.

He went on to St. Louis in 1999 for the same position before returning to the Chiefs in 2001. From 2002 to 2005, Saunders saw success in Kansas, which allowed him to reach a lucrative deal as the offensive coordinator with the Washington Redskins.

Offensive free agents such as Antwaan Randle El and Brandon Lloyd flocked to D.C. to play for Saunders, considering him an offensive genius. However, a slow start by the Skins prompted criticism from the media when it was revealed that Saunders' playbook was reportedly 700 pages long.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/595739-al-saunders-and-the-700-page-playbook

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, wppete said:

John Brown is much better than what we all thought. I thought he was a pure speed guy that takes the top off defenses but he is much more than that. He runs smooth clean routes and he is quick on his breaks. Very smart receiver. So happy we signed him!!! Great job Beane and Co.

I never doubted him

He was fantastic in Arizona and was way more than just a deep threat

Arians used him all over like we are now. He has phenomenal hands

• Like (+1) 2