Again we've been so bad for so long at QB & Offensive Philosophy

Billsfan1972

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

That my excitement level is so high watching Allen and wanting to see the Offense explode.

Here are the QB Stats & not in one category is he in the top third.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/player/_/table/passing/sort/passingYards/dir/desc

I am really enjoying and cheering Josh Allen on, but want to see the offense do better, which yes I blame on coaching and not having better weapons.

How many QBs manage to be in the top third three games into their 2nd year. Please.

10 minutes ago, ClemsonBills said:

You are right- so many qbs are ahead of him in different categories. So many of them are 0-3 or 1-2 as well...

Which is not a QB stat, it is a team stat.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

That my excitement level is so high watching Allen and wanting to see the Offense explode.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/player/_/table/passing/sort/passingYards/dir/desc

I am really enjoying and cheering Josh Allen on, but want to see the offense do better, which yes I blame on coaching and not having better weapons.

I'm like you.  The first stats I look at are QB stats, and the first of those is passer rating, because it correlates so well with the top QBs.   

After three games, Josh's passer rating is in the low 80s.   That's where Taylor was by the time he left Buffalo.   Low 80s doesn't do it.  

However, Allen is up 10 points in the passer ratings over his rookie season, so it's good movement.   My measure for him is that he should get to the top 15 this year, and he has a way to go.  And if you take away the two INTs in the first game, which really weren't on him, his passer rating is 91.5, about 18th in the league.   So he's in range.  

Give it a few more weeks and lets see where he is.  

To my knowledge, the stats don't factor in WHEN in the game things occur.  In close games, long drives in the 4th quarter that result in a TD are evidence of a successful offense.  Although it would be great to see the offense be consistent throughout the entire game, it isn't realistic.  Despite his mistakes in earlier parts of the game, Allen and the offense has been clutch late in the game.  They have put together long scoring drives in the 4th quarter when they needed it.  That's why they are 3-0.  This is what the team has lacked in the past.  Tyrod Taylor kept the team in games by playing mistake-free football, but when we NEEDED a score late in the game, he couldn't product it.  Fitzy played some great games and put up some points, but when they NEEDED it late in the 4th quarter, it usually ended up in a turnover.  Allen seems to have the "it" factor and he seems to be a winner.  We're only 3 games in so far and have not played the best opponents, but I like what I see so far.  Stats are great for Fantasy, and Allen and Brown cost me there, but I will take the win on the field any day!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm like you.  The first stats I look at are QB stats, and the first of those is passer rating, because it correlates so well with the top QBs.   

After three games, Josh's passer rating is in the low 80s.   That's where Taylor was by the time he left Buffalo.   Low 80s doesn't do it.  

However, Allen is up 10 points in the passer ratings over his rookie season, so it's good movement.   My measure for him is that he should get to the top 15 this year, and he has a way to go.  And if you take away the two INTs in the first game, which really weren't on him, his passer rating is 91.5, about 18th in the league.   So he's in range.  

And I agree......  I just find it interesting and looking at it as a Bills fan that is not used to seeing competent QB play.  

Yes the 300 yard stat sticks in my craw and it is unfathomable that the Bills have gone so long without it and still at times don't seem to grasp it is a passing league.

I still see the control the game between the 20's mentality.  

The lulls bother me as does the inability to play 4 quarters of offensive football (heck I'd take 3).  

Interesting no Lamar Jackson threads after getting beat soundly (though 183 yards in the 4th quarter).

34 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

The W:L ratio is looking great.  I may be wrong, but I think the W:L ratio is what matters when making the playoffs

Scoring a lot of points and limiting turnovers leads to a lot of wins and making playoffs. 

I’d rather look like the current Chiefs who are going to be a constant contender with an MVP QB instead of the 2017 Bills who squeak into the playoffs and are one and done. 

I want Allen to light teams up on a weekly basis. That’s going to lead to sustained success.

Edited by Bangarang

20 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

The running is the tricky thing cause passer rating doesnt account for it.  Also garbage time might be inflating some of those numbers for other QBs. 

Lastly, football is a situational game and you really need situational statistics.  There are only a couple things that transcend the situational part of the game (toxic differential being a big one).

8 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Scoring a lot of points and limiting turnovers leads to a lot of wins and making playoffs. 

I’d rather look the current Chiefs who are going to be a constant contender with an MVP QB instead of the 2017 Bills who squeak into the playoffs and are one and done. 

I want Allen to light teams up on a weekly basis. That’s going to lead to sustained success.

Don't you understand the Bills & some on this board's mentality?  Bills football is 17-13 wins and rely on the defense and any offense is a surprise. 

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Check his career stats.....  Not impressive & only 3 pro bowls..... Can thank Chuck Noll for his career.  Note bad stats early & indifferent later in career.  And a different era.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTe00.htm

Bradshaw was still a winner. 

Brett Favre thew a ton of picks but was a winner.

Pretty passing stats aren't everything. But wins are.

2 minutes ago, DJB said:

Bradshaw was still a winner. 

Brett Favre thew a ton of picks but was a winner.

Pretty passing stats aren't everything. But wins are.

I am a huge Allen fan (he is a Bill after all). 

Can't compare Bradshaw & Favre's stats.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FavrBr00.htm  

12 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

We are 6th in the NFL in offense...its doing pretty good...we havent finished in the top 10 in almost 20 years. Relax.