Anyone else concerned about Pass Rush?

MR8

Not a lot.  The defense is pretty darn good and part of their strategy is to bat balls down which they do well.  The pats always pose an extra challenge so it’s always fifficult against them.   The problem with them is if you slow them down on offense they beat you on defense.  It will take a total team effort and maybe a good bounce or two.  

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Slightly. Defense is holding up so it's not as much a concern. 

Is it surprising? No. Outside of Hughes they have no real threat to rush the QB. I don't care what the Bills try to tell us, Murphy is a below average DE.

Expecting Oliver to come in a make a big impact isn't realistic. Rookie DL typically always struggle.

I watched Oliver toss the guard out of his way at least twice and draw double teams on big passing downs.  He is making an impact.  I know everyone wants to see big sack totals and I think he will notch a few this year.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob in Mich said:

Brady typically uses the quick passes early in a game.  That forces the D-line to spend their energy uselessly.  The d-line gets both gassed and frustrated. 

Then, when the pass rushers start to think they can't get to Tommy and they put in less effort, the pass patterns get deeper and take longer to develop.  I hate him but he is a master at his craft.

Yes I've noticed that too. And hopefully the coaches make the players fully aware. They'll still be gassed and frustrated... but mentally ready to bring it on in the 4th and teach that Brady dude a lesson

25 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Who throws off Brady's timing?

The last time they played an elite DT so *checks notes* Aaron Donald. Brady looked bad in the SB. Can the Bills do it? They want to but is Eddie O up to that... don’t know 

Edited by YoloinOhio

37 minutes ago, Estro said:

Yes its a pretty big weakness.  The Bills almost never created any pressure yesterday when theu sent 4 and that was what was viewed to be a very porous OLine.  Going to have to improve if we want to beat some of the better teams.

We batted down 8 passes at the LOS by collapsing the pocket. You can bemoan the lack of sacks but this team has batted like 20 balls down at the LOS this year. That is quite impressive in itself. 

I mentioned above that with protection rules on QB's collapsing the pocket and getting hands up doesn't risk those ticky tack penalties. there may be some strategy to this whole scenario

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I thought Ed Oliver would have had a more noticeable impact than he has had so far 

A few things.

- One hes getting double teamed quite a bit

- Even Aaaron Donald didn't get his first sack of the year until last night.

Not really...Dalton was being harrassed all first half and they specifically said one of the half time adjustments was that the Bengals went max protect a lot to give him more time and were just having 2 WRs Boyd and Ross out in pass patterns...

The pass rush to my eye has been decent. It gets pressure at time and then disappears at times. The D-line however does have a good knack of getting their hands into throwing lanes and batting passes. 

Over the course of the season is the pass rush a cause for concern? Yes, the defense will likely still be good enough and against poor and mediocre competition it won't be an issue. But against elite and even good teams the pass rush could be a heavy cause for concern. 

I think that edge rush could be a point where the team maybe considers an acquisition if the market is there at the trade deadline. I am not sure who would be on the market but I think right now the team has to be eyeing the WR and Edge rush markets. 

Longer term I think they make a major off-season acquisition in 2020 to bolster the pass rush. But as of the 2019 season it seems to be a decent pass rush but not one to write home about either. 

Balls are coming out quick. We are adjusting by batting a lot of balls. 

Not only that, we are doing a good job of disguising our looks and it is causing confusion. Did you see the stat that said Brady has thrown more INTs than TDs against us since McDermott has been here? We aren't sacking Brady but we are forcing him to make mistakes. That's equally good.

I do want to see more sacks on those plays where I see the QB having to go through their progressions but I think we will be fine. 

I was disappointed with the d line and lack of sacks. I did not see anything good or play making from Oliver at all on Sunday.

with Harry our for the year, I have major concerns about the D line vs meh teams, let alone the Patriots next week. 

Major pressure seemed to come from our all star safety’s on the blitz. Can we extend Poyer and Hyde please?

Edit. That blocked passes have been great however.

Edited by Nester

It looks like we play a lot of cover 2 man under. Cover 3 and cover 4 also. Not a lot of blitzing, i think mcD and Frazier would rather have more in coverage for the chance of a turnover. Our linebackers are fast enough to track underneath stuff and the whole team is pretty good at tackling. No sense betting the farm on a blitz when we can just play defense and win the series. It’s the same type of deal as people who are PO’d that Josh Allen hasn’t thrown for 300 yards yet, who cares? Scoreboard☝?