Let's overreact to Week 3 in the NFL: Are the Bills for real? - ESPN

11 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

To 1/3 of the league gets in the playoffs. 

4 division winners and 2 WC in each conference get in

a team well out of the top 3rd can and has won their division

Bills have been in trouble the whole Brady Era with no hope but a WC for almost two decades

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

4 division winners and 2 WC in each conference get in

a team well out of the top 3rd can and has won their division

Bills have been in trouble the whole Brady Era with no hope but a WC for almost two decades

I get what you're saying, but the rules put in by the league to play off the top the 10 in each conference is what I go by.  That's all that really counts. 

And yes, the 7-9 Seahawks did beat the Drew Brees led Saints in the infamous "Beast Quake" game.

54 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Are you winning by nursing a lead

or playing from behind to win?

Or down by 17 and pass happy and still can’t score points.  

We'd need a comparison chart for where the great teams/QBs were when they came back.  This team could easily be 1-2, but they're not.  This team is 3-0, learning as they go and still getting the job done, despite a horrific mistake/interception by Josh that never should have happened.  They still got it done.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

Im hopeful. But week 4 is the first true test. To date our victories are against opponents with a combined record of 1-8. Technically 0-8 because the 1 victory was not the Giants team we faced as Daniel Jones was at the helm. 

I don't think the coaches would have put Jones in against our D regardless, and ruin his confidence. 

I also don't put much stock into the combined records. I think all 3 teams are solid at least. Maybe not the Jets with no Darnold but look for Cincy, Giants to be tough outings for the league

It’s week 3 and nobody really knows anything. This time last year the Blake Bortles led Jags had just stomped the Patriots. 

The biggest take away for us through 3 is that we're 3 wins closer to the 10 needed to guarantee us a spot in the playoffs. Once we’re there, it’s anybodies guess. I think the NFL is about due for a SB run from an overlooked WC. Maybe it’ll be us.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

It’s week 3 and nobody really knows anything. This time last year the Blake Bortles led Jags had just stomped the Patriots. 

The biggest take away for us through 3 is that we're 3 wins closer to the 10 needed to guarantee us a spot in the playoffs. Once we’re there, it’s anybodies guess. I think the NFL is about due for a SB run from an overlooked WC. Maybe it’ll be us.

Definitely not a time to overreact 

but

also a truly promising future 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 9/23/2019 at 4:57 AM, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Let's overreact to Week 3 in the NFL: Are the Bills for real?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27679368/let-overreact-week-3-nfl-bills-real

Grab your best breakaway tailgate tables, Buffalo. Your Bills are 3-0, and the undefeated Patriots are coming to town next week. If you've been under the radar so far, that's all about to end.

You never know where the big games are going to pop up on the NFL schedule, but my goodness, there's a battle for first place in the AFC East in Week 4 in upstate New York.

The Patriots walloped the Jets in Foxborough on Sunday afternoon, while Buffalo held off Cincinnati. What better way to lead off an overreaction column than with a wild Week 3 assertion about the Bills?

The Buffalo Bills will make the playoffs

Buffalo has started the season 3-0 for the first time since 2011 and only the third time in the past 26 years. The Bills are allowing only about 15.6 points per game. Josh Allen is getting it done, somehow. The Bills had a strategic and quietly extensive offseason of improving their receiver corps and offensive line around Allen, and so far it appears to be paying off.

And they finished 6-10 under Gailey.

https://www.google.com/search?q=BUFFALO BILLS 2011&cad=h

16 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I get what you're saying, but the rules put in by the league to play off the top the 10 in each conference is what I go by.  That's all that really counts. 

And yes, the 7-9 Seahawks did beat the Drew Brees led Saints in the infamous "Beast Quake" game.

you can go by whatever you chose, probably cost you a lot in life being this pigheaded, i can somewhat understand  :D

but the reality of the world is that a division winner that isn't in the top 10 gets into the playoffs, and every few years so it's not a miracle

50 minutes ago, row_33 said:

you can go by whatever you chose, probably cost you a lot in life being this pigheaded, i can somewhat understand  :D

but the reality of the world is that a division winner that isn't in the top 10 gets into the playoffs, and every few years so it's not a miracle

my life is going just fine thank you very much.

top 10 according to who and by what criteria?  

3 hours ago, Socal-805 said:

And they finished 6-10 under Gailey.

https://www.google.com/search?q=BUFFALO BILLS 2011&cad=h

Was never a super fan of Chan Gailey as HC 

It terms of ranking and how to place the top 10   -  some added criteria to balance out some inequities. Higher score wins the spot 

Did they win but were expected to lose ?  +5 pts

Did they win?  +4 pts

Did they lose?  +2 pts

id they lose but were expected to win?  +1 pts

(I thinks thats a best to worse scenario) 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

On 9/23/2019 at 12:40 PM, row_33 said:

the Bills were horrible the first 2 years under Kelly, then got to the AFC title game in 1988, they had no chance that day against Ickey's World

no sure how getting to the AFC title game is "showing signs"

the problem was being on the road at Cleveland the next year in the playoffs, i forget what happened to make them drop off like that.

1987 was a huge departure from 1986 and previous.  Kelly seemed to begin to assert himself and the team was competitive.  

1988 was a nice surprise, and I guess they arrived... but the Bills were different than the 'run'.  They did it by defense.  They were good, but from what I recall, it didnt really feel like they could beat the Bengals, 49ers, or Bears that season.  However, we did know that it was a young team and we had some good seasons ahead.   

I guess it feels like 87-88 because they are showing signs, look good, but not quite polished and in the top 3-5 teams in the league territory.  They could potentially make a run like 1988.  If they can beat the Pats, I think we can legitimately talk about a playoff bye as a possibility as we look at the schedule.