Let's overreact to Week 3 in the NFL: Are the Bills for real? - ESPN

Let's overreact to Week 3 in the NFL: Are the Bills for real?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27679368/let-overreact-week-3-nfl-bills-real

Grab your best breakaway tailgate tables, Buffalo. Your Bills are 3-0, and the undefeated Patriots are coming to town next week. If you've been under the radar so far, that's all about to end.

You never know where the big games are going to pop up on the NFL schedule, but my goodness, there's a battle for first place in the AFC East in Week 4 in upstate New York.

The Patriots walloped the Jets in Foxborough on Sunday afternoon, while Buffalo held off Cincinnati. What better way to lead off an overreaction column than with a wild Week 3 assertion about the Bills?

The Buffalo Bills will make the playoffs

Buffalo has started the season 3-0 for the first time since 2011 and only the third time in the past 26 years. The Bills are allowing only about 15.6 points per game. Josh Allen is getting it done, somehow. The Bills had a strategic and quietly extensive offseason of improving their receiver corps and offensive line around Allen, and so far it appears to be paying off.

Based on my high expectations for this season and the teams we played during the first month, I'm not really surprised at the 3-0 start.

The team has actually played worse than I expected, considering the turnovers and dumb mistakes.

With that said, I'm not going to judge how "real" the Bills are by how they perform against the Patriots this Sunday.  Most of the people who follow the NFL have already mentally handed New England the Lombardi trophy, and the real question is how close they can get to 17-0 along the way.  

If the Bills can win 10 games this season and make the playoffs, I'll feel content that we are moving in the right direction.

• Like (+1) 6

The Bills are likely to make the Playoffs. A 10-6 or 11-5 record should be a given. They are real- but not great by a long shot. 

Not Excellent.

Not  VERY Good.

Not YET! 

Given all the other strengths and improvements, they will rise or fall on the strong arm of Josh Allen. To get there, he needs to stop making anymore of those pathetic FUBAR plays PLUS, start to hit the HR ball! Devoting a thread to being 0 for 36 on a 300 Yard Passing Game, was not the time yesterday when 3-0.

However, the issue is underlined here. NFL QBs can rarely get over the 300 yard hump, if they are simply throwing short to medium Outs, Curls & Slants! Especially, with little YAC, by leading the Receiver. Allen MUST develop the deep ball properly, if he has going to hit the SECOND tier of QBs.

Which is, in Week 4?

Stars- Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, * Big Ben, * Brees, Wilson

Next Tier Stars- Dak, Watson, Wentz, Goff, Rivers, Jackson

On the Move up.

Here’s where Allen fits in- Murray, Newton, Ryan, Mayfield, Cousins, Garoppolo, Stamford, Carr, Brissett, Mariota, Foles.

Not good enough to be in the 3rd. grouping or worse!

He must get better to make the Bills better!

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Let's overreact to Week 3 in the NFL: Are the Bills for real?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27679368/let-overreact-week-3-nfl-bills-real

Grab your best breakaway tailgate tables, Buffalo. Your Bills are 3-0, and the undefeated Patriots are coming to town next week. If you've been under the radar so far, that's all about to end.

You never know where the big games are going to pop up on the NFL schedule, but my goodness, there's a battle for first place in the AFC East in Week 4 in upstate New York.

The Patriots walloped the Jets in Foxborough on Sunday afternoon, while Buffalo held off Cincinnati. What better way to lead off an overreaction column than with a wild Week 3 assertion about the Bills?

The Buffalo Bills will make the playoffs

Buffalo has started the season 3-0 for the first time since 2011 and only the third time in the past 26 years. The Bills are allowing only about 15.6 points per game. Josh Allen is getting it done, somehow. The Bills had a strategic and quietly extensive offseason of improving their receiver corps and offensive line around Allen, and so far it appears to be paying off.

Wow...week 3 and someone around the country realized the Bills made off season moves to improve themselves?

Damn, it would have helped on some of these national prognostications for the season if they had only known that.

I don't want to poo-poo on the article, but are these guys also aware that the Jets, with their stud and unstoppable QB Sam Darnold, picked up Bell and Mosley in the offeason?  Shame on them if they didn't take that into consideration.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

9 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

The Bills are likely to make the Playoffs. A 10-6 or 11-5 record should be a given. They are real- but not great by a long shot. 

Not Excellent.

Not  VERY Good.

Not YET! 

Given all the other strengths and improvements, they will rise or fall on the strong arm of Josh Allen. To get there, he needs to stop making anymore of those pathetic FUBAR plays PLUS, start to hit the HR ball! Devoting a thread to being 0 for 36 on a 300 Yard Passing Game, was not the time yesterday when 3-0.

However, the issue is underlined here. NFL QBs can rarely get over the 300 yard hump, if they are simply throwing short to medium Outs, Curls & Slants! Especially, with little YAC, by leading the Receiver. Allen MUST develop the deep ball properly, if he has going to hit the SECOND tier of QBs.

Which is, in Week 4?

Stars- Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, * Big Ben, * Brees, Wilson

Next Tier Stars- Dak, Watson, Wentz, Goff, Rivers, Jackson

On the Move up.

Here’s where Allen fits in- Murray, Newton, Ryan, Mayfield, Cousins, Garoppolo, Stamford, Carr, Brissett, Mariota, Foles.

Not good enough to be in the 3rd. grouping or worse!

He must get better to make the Bills better!

Only 10 QBs in the NFL threw more passes over 20 yards in the air than Allen did in 2018.

This 300 yards passing as a line of demarcation is silly to me.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 5

Just now, Gugny said:

Only 10 QBs in the NFL threw more passes over 20 years in the air than Allen did in 2018.

You are in the era of the Arena Football League "Showtime" mindset; winning is OK but they need lots of action for it to count!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

This reminds me a bit of the 87-88 Bills.  They are getting decent..  Showing signs of joining the NFL, strong defense, offense beginning to figure it out. 

Not sure they have completely arrived yet the way the 88 Bills did.   

Excellent post, getting there but still in the reboot process, but exciting to watch and heading for better days. If we beat the Patriots Sunday it will be equal to shutting out the Dolphins at home in 1987. If we get beat it does not change anything!

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Only 10 QBs in the NFL threw more passes over 20 yards in the air than Allen did in 2018.

It’s a sign of development.

And, in this NFL, it’s essential!

Without looking at them all, you just know that those QBs who did so frequently are in the star echelon of the NFL! 

I won’t give you Brees, who is in his own HOF- 124 x 300 yards in his career- almost NINE Seasons of 300+ yard games, with records for most 400 yarders.

In 2018...Take Mahomes. He had 10/16. Old Man Rivers had 5/16.

Allen must get better.

Edited by Billsatlastin2018

I think reality sets in this Sunday. The Bills D should be able to keep it from becoming a jailbreak, but I don't see a win happening unless the D also puts up some points. 

I predict a close, low scoring first half, followed by the Pats rolling in the second. 33-13 final score.

The Bills have so far shown an inability to "make adjustments" at halftime, as they say, coming out very tepid in the 3rd quarter. The Pats are the best in the business at making those adjustments. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

It’s a sign of development.

And, in this NFL, it’s essential!

Without looking at them all, you just know that those QBs who did so frequently are in the star echelon of the NFL! 

I won’t give you Brees, who is in his own HOF- 124 x 300 yards in his career- almost NINE Seasons of 300+ yard games, with records for most 400 yarders.

Take Mahomes. He had 10/16. Old Man Rivers had 5/16.

Allen must get better.

Brees, Rivers, Mahomes = one Super Bowl win in 35 combined years.

Sometimes losing is exciting.

• Like (+1) 3