We need another weapon...

Hebert19

17 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Now I'm not endorsing the bring in Duke William's like the other threads in here but we need some help.  

Knox is nice.  But he's not there yet. 

Beasley is great.  

Brown is great.  

Zay is well zay.  Not good enough.  

McKenzie is solid but a better runner than receiver.  

Gore and Singletary not scaring anyone.  

Feels like we need another even average weapon.  I thought it would be foster but he's invisible again...but I do feel like we will see more of him next week against the Pat's.  

Thoughts.  What/who is out there?  

If the schedule goes the way I am anticipating this team could be 7 and 2 thru 10 weeks.  If so...we need to make a move.

You have to consider where the team is right now.  Young QB who had some struggles last year, lack of talent at WR and OL addressed during the offseason but overall the makeover is not complete.  More talent is always better but I don't think we are lacking in weapons in that the Bills can be a dynamic offense with who they have.   What they need more than a weapon is growth at QB.  And don't take that to mean I am unhappy with where Allen is, I just view this as a process that will take time and if I had to judge I would say Allen is walking at say 10 months old which is not too bad.  He needs to continue to grow and not repeat mistakes.  He tries to make too much happen on EVERY play.   This team is passing and rushing better than they were last year.   Allen is on pace for 4000 yards and rushing from the RB's is much improved.  I think Singletary could be special but we have not seen enough yet.   The team has figured out how to make the right plays in the forth quarter to win a couple close games, while they have not been consistent through the games, dont underestimate the importance of teams and players performing in the clutch.  That is huge!   They are not on par with the Patriots yet but no one else is either.    This week is great challenge.

On 9/22/2019 at 11:15 PM, Nelius said:

Zay made a clutch catch and once again Robert Foster completely disappeared, but I guess it's fun to keep picking on Zay or something. Foster is the weak link, let's see what Duke can do.

And what do you suppose we do with Foster?

1 hour ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I keep watching Laviska Shenault highlights and hoping to see him in Daboll’s offense 

I’m conflicted because I want a traditional X receiver who is big and physical and wins 50-50 balls, but Shenault looks like he’d be awesome in this offense. 

Edited by whatdrought

On 9/22/2019 at 10:41 PM, Hebert19 said:

Now I'm not endorsing the bring in Duke William's like the other threads in here but we need some help.  

Knox is nice.  But he's not there yet. 

Beasley is great.  

Brown is great.  

Zay is well zay.  Not good enough.  

McKenzie is solid but a better runner than receiver.  

Gore and Singletary not scaring anyone.  

Feels like we need another even average weapon.  I thought it would be foster but he's invisible again...but I do feel like we will see more of him next week against the Pat's.  

Thoughts.  What/who is out there?  

If the schedule goes the way I am anticipating this team could be 7 and 2 thru 10 weeks.  If so...we need to make a move.

If Allen throws 2 particular passes more accurately Zays stats look a whole lot different.  With 2 tds and 70 more yards or so.

13 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Exactly.  A rookie tight end and zay Jones are not going to cut it against the Pat's. 

Maybe not.  Brown, Beasley, Foster, Zay and a Rookie TE probably will tho.

I am glad Zay and a Rookie TE are not all we have.  It would be tough to play offense without 11 guys.

8 hours ago, mattynh said:

You have to consider where the team is right now.  Young QB who had some struggles last year, lack of talent at WR and OL addressed during the offseason but overall the makeover is not complete.  More talent is always better but I don't think we are lacking in weapons in that the Bills can be a dynamic offense with who they have.   What they need more than a weapon is growth at QB.  And don't take that to mean I am unhappy with where Allen is, I just view this as a process that will take time and if I had to judge I would say Allen is walking at say 10 months old which is not too bad.  He needs to continue to grow and not repeat mistakes.  He tries to make too much happen on EVERY play.   This team is passing and rushing better than they were last year.   Allen is on pace for 4000 yards and rushing from the RB's is much improved.  I think Singletary could be special but we have not seen enough yet.   The team has figured out how to make the right plays in the forth quarter to win a couple close games, while they have not been consistent through the games, dont underestimate the importance of teams and players performing in the clutch.  That is huge!   They are not on par with the Patriots yet but no one else is either.    This week is great challenge.

We also need our Oline to gel.

14 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

If you don't think we need another weapon we will see how you feel after next week when bellijerk puts Gilmore on brown and doubles Beasley.  I'd dare anyone else to beat us if I were them. 

You do realize that Gilmore’s weakness is defending the long ball.  Also a tad bit of information for you, Josh Allen is completing 76% of his throws to Smoke and Beasley.  None of the other corners have found a way to stop them yet.

Also one weapon you’re forgetting about...Dawson friggen Knox!!

Go Bills beat the Cheats! 

On 9/22/2019 at 11:52 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

We had one but they cut Shady.

I agree a big body WR would be a nice add. 

But, I would favor a two TE, single back, two WR formation when Kroft gets healthy.  A combination of Knox, Kroft, Brown, and Beasley will be very difficult to defend. Both of the TEs could split out into a 3 wide formation or both could be on the LOS to run.

All that said, the real need is a pass rusher. Murphy is still terrible. Lawson will never be a pass rusher. Oliver has not generated much push.  He will take a long time to develop. They should trade for Vonn Miller. 

That personnel grouping ignores the concept of stretching the field vertically.    It's better than having DiMarco as the Z receiver but still congests the area near the LOS.

And yeah the Bills need a pass rusher but job #1 of an NFL team is make the QB look good.

The Bills have basically built an offense of veteran journeyman around Allen while they've invested their "other" 3 first round picks on defense.    So you then want to trade a first or second for Von Miller?    That sounds like what Carolina did with Newton and it's starting to look like their recent investments in offense are too little too late to keep Cam afloat........the productive portion of his career might have been cut in half from their half-stepping on offense.        

• Like (+1) 3

56 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That personnel grouping ignores the concept of stretching the field vertically.    It's better than having DiMarco as the Z receiver but still congests the area near the LOS.

And yeah the Bills need a pass rusher but job #1 of an NFL team is make the QB look good.

The Bills have basically built an offense of veteran journeyman around Allen while they've invested their "other" 3 first round picks on defense.    So you then want to trade a first or second for Von Miller?    That sounds like what Carolina did with Newton and it's starting to look like their recent investments in offense are too little too late to keep Cam afloat........the productive portion of his career might have been cut in half from their half-stepping on offense.        

Knox and Brown are vertical threats.....

What the bills have done this year is biuld a "solid" team.....that is missing a couple of final pieces.   It is my sincere hope that next year's draft premium picks are spent on offensive weapons (aka WR's with size that have the ability to separate and actually catch the ball)

On 9/22/2019 at 7:53 PM, dma0034 said:

Bills should trade for AJ Green honestly. Give up a 4th or at most a 3rd. If he doesn't stay healthy when he comes back get rid of him. But could be a nice boom or bust candidate.

Green is out 6 to 8 week's I doubt he comes back to showcase what he has before the trade deadline. I don't see any legit WR's hitting the market unless something drastic happens.

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Knox and Brown are vertical threats.....

What the bills have done this year is biuld a "solid" team.....that is missing a couple of final pieces.   It is my sincere hope that next year's draft premium picks are spent on offensive weapons (aka WR's with size that have the ability to separate and actually catch the ball)

There were guys like that available in round two this year...

i don't get the hate for foster. only a few plays have been designed for him so far. allen didn't see him or chose not to go there , or the throw was off.  there's also no excuse for not being able to hit zay on the incredibly wide open sure td play.

as far as the pats go we have to beat them with numbers like,  base formations of 3 wide plus knox or sweeney or 4 wide. they can't cover everyone. billyboy is gonna be sending a lb or safety each snap. we should be able to get gore or singletary in space or take the top off respectively.

6 hours ago, whatdrought said:

And what do you suppose we do with Foster?

I’m conflicted because I want a traditional X receiver who is big and physical and wins 50-50 balls, but Shenault looks like he’d be awesome in this offense. 

The thing about Shenault is he’s played every position in their offense. X, Y, Slot, HB, Wildcat and because of it he hasn’t necessarily mastered the traditional X position but he routinely wins there.

6’2 220 WR with 4.4 speed and turns into a RB with the ball in his hand. Unreal YAC potential. I say let’s just get him in the fold.

• Like (+1) 3