WGR’s Nate Geary Sounds OFF on Over-Dramatic Bills Fans

21 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

After suffering through Schopp and Bulldog‘S post game show, I kept listening to WGR to hear the Overtime Show with Nate Geary and Joe DiBiase.

The first thing that Nate did was criticize complaining Bills fans - mostly the ones on Twitter - though you see a lot of the same comments here.

Specially he called out fans that are extremists and turn on the team on the drop of a hat.  Fans are pumped about the Bills, but as soon as they blow a lead it’s “Same old Bills” or “It’s over.”

Joe said he gets it because the Bills have Depressing a lot for the past 2 decades.  But Nate’s point is that the majority of the Bills roster are 2nd or 3rd year players who are still learning to win.  

Said that the Bills have never drafted a QB 7th overall and that fans need to give him time and be realistic.  

Also said some of the “toxic” comments on Bills Twitter are unbelievable.

It’s a great listen:

It’s just that there’s extremes on both sides, so it always seems like no matter what “fans” are extreme. In reality, “fans” are actually a bunch of individuals not a monolith, and the people who are extreme are likely in the minority. 

If social media and Twitter were around in the late 80s, the same stuff would have been said about the Kelly-era Bills.  There was a lot of opinion on call-in shows that the Bills should trade Kelly after Reich won 5 games during the '89 season.

The Bickering Bills would have been destroyed on social media.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, row_33 said:

barely squeaked out two wins on a collective 0-9

sorry, but men who played sports aren’t crowing about this team

it's nice to win over horrible teams, beats losing to horrible teams, and hopefully something was learned that wasn’t on display on the field 

You really had to go there

“Men who played sports aren’t crowing about this team!?!?!?”  What the hell does that mean?

Because there are many former NFL players turned analysts who have praised the team over the past few weeks.

Also they are a combined 1-8.  Get your facts straight!!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

it's nice to win over horrible teams, beats losing to horrible teamsbarely squeaked out two wins on a collective 0-9

it's nice to win over horrible teams, beats losing to horrible teams, and hopefully something was learned that wasn’t on display on the field 

Men who played sports can’t be happy about the 3-0 start?

1-8 by the way, with three of those losses coming against the Bills. 

Not that it means much anyway. Patriots’ opponents are 0-9. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Why would anyone give a ***** what Nate Geary thinks about anything?

Because he’s the host of the Bills Pre-Game and Post-Game show.  

1 minute ago, Arkady Renko said:

Men who played sports can’t be happy about the 3-0 start?

1-8 by the way, with three of those losses coming against the Bills. 

Not that it means much anyway. Patriots’ opponents are 0-9. 

The whole “men who played sports” line is quite possibly the most bizarre and baseless comment I’ve ever read in here 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I mean, they also said that our 3-0 isn’t the same as other teams 3-0 and that if the Bills went 11-5 with this schedule it would really be more like 9-7.

While they don’t want to hear blind pessimism, they aren’t riding unchecked hype.

Edited by eanyills

24 minutes ago, row_33 said:

New England beat

0-3 Pittsburgh

0-3 Miami

0-3 Jets

San Francisco beat

1-2 Tampa Bay (who’s lucky to have a win)

0-3 Cincinnati 

0-3 Pittsburgh

Dallas beat

1-2 Giants

0-2 Washington

0-3 Dolphins

Baltimore beat

0-3 Miami

0-2-1 Arizona

and lost to Kansas City

so I mean... what have we really seen? 

I’m sure they...

1) were super amped up for this game. Might’ve had too much adrenaline, but dealt with it and found a way to come out with a “W”.

2) were playing a team that was fighting tooth and nail to try and finally get their 1st win of the season (i.e. trap game).

3) we’re playing a team that has shown an ability to throw downfield and shut down a big weapon in John Ross.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I continue to get verification that WGR continues to have no one on air that meets the following criteria:

1.  Is entertaining 

2.  Knows football (and hockey)

3.  Is a Bills (and Sabres) fan 1st while being objective.  These are not mutually exclusive but this is part of your talents as to being able to host a show.  You don't come off as a blatant homer.  And you certainly aren't a cynical nihilistic critic because you think you know better....than everyone.  

If you don't meet all 3 of those criteria you should not be hosting a show that is home to two of the best most passionate fan bases in the country.  

My friends down here in Northern Virginia or so envious of what we have as a fan base.  Because it's gotten so diluted here.  

I tell them I'm envious of your local sports radio hosts lol.  

Edited by Big Blitz

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

We are now Mike Tyson?

No, I think we're Sugar Ray Leonard in this analogy

Sigh.  We're Douglas.  I live on the west coast and anyone who comments on the Bills being 3-0 does so with the caveat that we've beaten the Jets, Giants and Bengals.  We're given no chance to beat the Patsies.

1 hour ago, familykwi said:

Sigh.  We're Douglas.  I live on the west coast and anyone who comments on the Bills being 3-0 does so with the caveat that we've beaten the Jets, Giants and Bengals.  We're given no chance to beat the Patsies.

Pretty sure he meant we were Bald Bull in that analogy